Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Brother has a '94 - 4 Runner. I know its not a RAV but he is still in the Toyota family. Trying to convince him to buy a RAV soon.

The 4 wheel drive won't engage and it has been suggested that there may be some sort of adjustment close to the floor shifter that may be required. No fluid leaks, its in great shape, lots of preventive mantenance. Hope someone out there can suggest a fix he can perform.

Thanks Guys/Gals

Later. M.

K

·
0 Posts
Which model of the 4runner you bro's having? I've been driving those buggers since I was a kid. Just let me know the model and see if you can take a small sideway picture of it. Once I see it I will recognise the model.

Thanks.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Being a "tire guy" you probably know this, but......

I drove a lot of different Nor Am makes of 4wd at work (but no Toys) and one thing they shared was a difficulty getting them in and out of 4wd "on pavement" if the tires in front and rear weren't equally worn........
If tires are the same size but he replaced rears recently while leaving worn tires on front, it'll provide meshing problems on blacktop...... We used to try to transfer on dirt or snow before getting to pavement.......

·
Registered
986 Posts
Also try the YotaTech forums, they are the best non-Rav4 Toyota truck/SUV forums I've encountered so far.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kidong---- Its a 1994 SR5 4cyl. Standard. Nothing out of the ordinary. It was back in a time when Toyota still sold vehicles in North America (N.A.) that were "base models". Now they are $52,000 and full of "James Bond" crap that you don't need. Prices here in N.A. are outrageous and some of the best vehicles are not even available. I'm Talking about the diesel models of the Land Cruiser, Tacoma or what ever they're sold as elsewhere. Anyway...off topic.

Any info you could provide on this issue would be helpfull. A few weeks ago it would go into 4wd "sometimes" sort of when it felt like it. Now .... Nothing. The light comes on when it is engaged but now ..... no light. Like I said, a guy suggested some sort of fix that involved just removing the cover over the shifter and performing an adjustment but that didn't sound like a permanent thing to me. I don't know.

Thanks. Later. M.

E

·
0 Posts
Marcutio said:
It was back in a time when Toyota still sold vehicles in North America (N.A.) that were "base models". Now they are $52,000 and full of "James Bond" crap that you don't need.
Off-topic... I totally understand. The only base-model 2004-05 RAV4 that I have spotted in Vancouver (except in the brochure :lol:) was one on Kingsway a month ago. I was like "OMG, a base model RAV4!!!" Unlike in the US, base model Toyotas (of all models) are a rare commodity in Canada.

K

·
0 Posts
The 4 Runner in New Zealand and Australia, we call them Hilux.

The problem you see identifying the model for 94 is is the new model introduction time. In 93, the KZN130G, VZN130G, and KZN130W. In 95 they have the RZN185W, KZN185G, KZN 185W and VZN185W.

93 models uses the 1KZ-TE Diesel engine, and 3VZ-E Petrol engine.

I've asked a few people that drives the Hilux in Auckland and from what they're saying is the transfer box is giving up. Which is extremely strange consider the transfer box is like a solidly built chunk of iron.

If the 4WD won't engage, check the 4WD synchro, it might be worn by improper use. SUch may be due to switching from 2WD to 4WD without coming to a full stop or someone just yank the crap out of it. It might also be something simple like a lodge in the cable somewhere. But most likely it's the 4WD/front wheel transfer case. It's not something small. Will cost you a bit.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I'll get him to check the cables but if it is the transfercase then there will be one 94 4 Runner for Sale very soon. He would like to get a Tacoma 4x4 but the cost is something else.

Thanks for the info and if I have anything else I'll let you know.

Later. M :D

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My brother's 4 Runner will still go in low gear but won't engage the front wheels.

One of my freinds ( a dirty Jeep owner ) told me that his Jeep did the same thing once upon a time. He said that for him it was a vaccum line to the transfer case that had a tiny pin-hole in it so it prevented the transfercase from engaging the front wheels.

Question : Does the 4 Runner have a system like this or is it all electric? By the way his 4 Runner can be switched on dry pavement while on the move bellow 80 km/hr. Keep in mind that its a 1994.

Anything you can add would be great!

Thanks. M.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I believe that generation of 4Runners has an automatic disconnecting differential which uses engine vacuum to engage the front axle. Problems with this system are usually either electrical or vacuum related, because a switch sends current to the actuator which in turn moves the ADD coupler.

Here's some information:

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/add/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts