Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Thank you for your post. I am currently planning to swap my 6 speakers as well and had the following 3 questions.

- For the tweeter, are the 3.5 tweeter in the dash it self? How do you access it? Just pry off the plastic grill?

- For the door speakers, did you entirely removed the oem one or simply cutted them and installed the new one over them?

- Any chance in finding the cable adapters? I mean worst case I can always use wire connectors.

I don't want an amp though, can I just replace the 6 speakers and they will sound better since they are better speakers to start with.
Interested in this as well. From what I found the go to speakers are the JBL club series or infinity ref.

·
Registered
364 Posts

Not really as further explained in the video linked above @13min mark.
Some type of separate amp is required in order to properly drive decent aftermarket speakers IMHO...

Having swapped all 6 speakers and added an amp to my 2019 RAV4 here are a couple of items to keep in mind during your install:

Until you get an amplifier the 2 pair front speakers at 3ohm each (2dash+2door) will appear as @1.5ohm to the factory head unit since they will be wired in parallel. I'm not sure how well the factory head unit will be able to handle this 1.5ohm load at full volume as I had added the external amp in order to drive all 4 door speakers minus the 2 dash which continue to be driven by the stock head unit.

You will find the pair of speaker wires feeding each of the 4 doors are on the short side and are meant to plug into the stock speakers from the outside of the door behind the panel. I had to actually pull/trim back the loom on all 4 doors to expose enough length of wire in order to feed the wire inside of the door to be able to terminate onto the replacement speakers since I didn't use any type of adapter/jumper cable and just spliced into the harness.
What did you put in as far as speakers and amp?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Great post - I'm interested in keeping the car as close to stock as possible. Just to make sure I understand, you either do the speakers and amp or do neither? I'd only be interested in swapping speakers. I'm no audiophile, I just like loud, bassy sounds in my music.
I think if you want bass you need the amp. I'm going to pick away at this and start with dash speakers with everything else factory. Going to pop in infinity reference speakers. If that goes well I'll consider changing the doors and maybe adding an amp. Seems to be a decent amount of room to hide an amp under the passenger side foot space.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Awesome keep us updated, keen to hear the incremental benefits as you go
Just put them on. Took 20 min at most. The infinity ref 3022 speakers weigh so much more than the stock. They sound is very clear. I don't pump music too loud so I figure this should do before I decide to upgrade all speakers. I opted to replace the dash speakers first because it was the simplest and seemed like it would get the most benefit as it's closest to my head. I bought adapters off eBay so it's all plug and play.
The stock speakers feel like a kids toy. Hard to quantify the change but the sound is noticeably better.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Can you provide a link to the adapters off ebay? I just bought a pair of JBL GTO629 and will likely do my installation later this month. Also, did you install an amplifier? If so, which one did you go with?
The adaptors are below. To maintain the plug and play, I didn't install the bass blockers.

I haven't installed an amp and so far For everyday listening they are plenty loud and clear. I'll maybe change the door speakers and add an amp but not in the near future.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have the same 3.5 infinity inch speakers in the front. They are really awesome. I have heard changing the 6.5's you lose a lot of the low ends. I've also been hesitant because I dont want to rip apart the whole car. I don't really want to get an amp, so i'll use as is for now. I would recommend the 3.5 inch change out to anyone though. Super easy to do and sound excellent.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The 3.5 inch infinity in the dash has a capacitors on them to prevent them from playing low frequencies and protect the twitters in them. So you won't hear any base from the dash, which is what we want. The 6.5 infinity in the doors are another story. They are sensitive pair (93 db) and can play as low as 50hz (which is great compared to other brands). I got a really good amount of bass when I installed both of them in the front door. However, I did proper sound deadening and foam around the adapters and speakers to prevent any rattling in the future. The 6.5 infinity comes with cross over and twitter. The subwoofer send all the low frequencies to the 6.5 inch woofer and send the high frequencies to the twitter. the combination of dash speakers and door speaker resulted in amazing sound quality with good amount of bass I did not find in other speakers. The volume up to 40 is guaranteed with clarity and no clipping. If you install them properly, you might be satisfied and no sub needed. (The windows already shaking from the deep bass on those two 6.5). I ordered another two components the same brand and same specs and will install them in the back door and keep you posted.

The infinity speakers (6.5 inch) rated 90 RMS. Those need amp to drive them to full potential. However, they are 3 ohm, which means they are super sensitive and they don't need lots of power to bring those bad boys to deep bass. if you are seeking lower notes than 50Hz, subwoofer is needed.
I didn't use the bass blockers as I wanted to try them out first without adding the extra hardware. I bought harnesses so it was easier to keep them plug and play. I might consider the 6.5 infinity upgrade if I find time. I typically don't have volume even above 30 anyways. The 3.5inch infinity speakers are pretty great. Likely make the biggest difference as they are closest to your head.

·
Registered
364 Posts
First thanks a lot for this thread for the audio insights.
I went ahead with @jon7chow choice of reference speakers - plug and play with the ebay adapter he mentioned, and the difference is already night and day!

A few questions that could be audio/warranty related.
I noticed that my left headlight is brighter than my left. Now sure how it was before the upgrade ( I believe it was still brighter ).

1. Would the 60W speaker upgrade vs 20W stock cause any electrical issues?
2. Would upgrading audio void warranty?

Thanks in advance!
Nice! Glad you had success with this as well! Can't comment on the questions, although I did the dash speakers only so that i could easily swap them back if there was any issue. The door speakers require drilling out rivets etc so can't go back easily.
Based on the performance of the 3.5inch infinity speakers, I doubt I will replace the doors anytime soon. I do find the bass from the doors a bit muddy, but the clarity of the dash speakers is amazing.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Have you noticed any sort of crackling/distortion coming from your dash speakers? And also, is this all in your glove box? Do you have room for much else in there with all that mounted?

I ask because currently, I experience some sort of crackling/distortion from mine. My setup is the stock 6-speaker setup but with my two dash speakers replaced with the Infinity Reference REF-3022cfx. Can anybody here help me understand why it might be crackling sometimes? It happens for specific songs. I can't quite narrow down what the common denominator between these songs is, either.

I almost wonder if it is digital clipping or something.
I have the same speakers but my the same issue. What song and what source are you playing? What volume level as well?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Long post ahead! TL;DR thanks for all the responses + a question: If the issue persists after upgrading amp/adding a DSP, how to wire the setup so that the dash speakers are powered via the amp? Thus far I don't think anybody has wired their setup (in this thread) so that the dash speakers connect to the amp.

My phone's (phone is the source for my music) equalizer is set to flat. I'm generally streaming music via Apple music which uses a pretty good Apple codec that makes me doubt the issue is related to the source media.

I don't mean to be rude, but I think you have a typo here. Did you mean you do have the same issue or you do not? As far as the song I am noticing the issue with - I'll need to shuffle through my library to find a song where the issue is particularly prominent to use as a good testing base. What's interesting is that the volume level doesn't seem to matter - in previous tests, the crackling noise (on a song that causes the issue) happens at all volume levels.

This leads me to another experiment I plan to try once I find a good song to use as a test - I will connect my audio to bluetooth and "manually" reduce the volume output via the phone's output volume setting, and then increase the power to the speakers via the car to see if the crackling goes away. If the issue is related to the mixing on a given song causing some sort of digital clipping in the stock headunit that manifests as crackling, then reducing the bluetooth audio volume output should resolve that problem.

As for all of the other responses from somms, strate, bootman, Mpedara429 - I appreciate the discussion and suggestions. I do plan on adding an amp, DSP, and swapping all of my door speakers soon, and will look forward to seeing if this resolves my issue. to bootman - yes, I did wire in the caps on the new dash speakers. Couldn't notice any difference between before/after adding in the caps, since I initially did not wire them in. I still left them in just for added protection.

I also have one last idea/question about the hypothetical outcome that my issue with the dash speakers persists after adding an amp/DSP. If I wanted to power my dash speakers via an amp, would it be possible with a 4-channel amp by splicing the amp in upstream of the location currently being used by you, somms? Or would that present issues with the SOS system/powering the dash+front door speakers?
Also I'm totally a novice with Car AV so excuse me if this question is totally ignorant lol.
Wow sorry. I didn't catch my typo or auto correct. I don't have the issue. I guess the other question is how loud you have the speakers. I rarely go over 20 or so. Sorry for the confusion!

·
Registered
364 Posts
@jon7chow Do you have a link to the website where you bought the dash 3.5' speakers? I'm searching Amazon for the Infinity REF-3022cfx speakers and price varies.

Are these the speakers you bought?
Sure are! But looks like the price has gone up big time. Likely not the same seller on amazon. you could get the newer version for a bit less.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts