Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
561 - 579 of 579 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just got a 22' XLE and already looking at swapping out the speakers... Looking at doing the dash and front door speakers and not touching the rears right now. Will add a sub later on. What are the recommendations for speakers? Currently looking at JBL Club 322F, Kicker CS/KS series (not sure which) and Infinity REF. Need some help here!

Edit: Pulled the trigger on the JBL Club 322F (Dash) and JBL Club 620F (Front Doors)

·
Registered
'22 XSE Hybrid | Silver Sky
161 Posts
Interesting conversation over on Reddit that I thought I'd x-post here:

I swapped out the dash speakers for Kicker 47KSC3504 and they made a noticeable difference, but am in agreement with most that they create an unbalanced stage. So I have a set of 47KSC6504 in hand for the fronts now as well. However, the more I've been reading, opinions seem split on whether front door speakers are worth it without adding an amp- something I'm not planning to do.

The discussion over there was the KSC series vs. the CSC series, and how there's a minimum recommended 15 watt RMS on the KSC series, while the CSC series has a minimum of 10 RMS, and thus could be better suited to be driven by a factory amp.

My dash KSC's are staying- I don't have the box or anything for returns. But now I'm wondering if I might see slightly better results (and save a little cash) with the CSC series in the front doors, and perhaps even the back doors? Most of my listening is within the volume 20-30 range.

EDIT: Spoke with Crutchfield to see where the convo might lead- they actually recommended doing the DSC series (43DSC6504) for the front doors and if I chose to also swap out the rear doors. They explained you'd see the least loss of mid- to mid-low end with these. Anyone using them?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Interesting conversation over on Reddit that I thought I'd x-post here:

I swapped out the dash speakers for Kicker 47KSC3504 and they made a noticeable difference, but am in agreement with most that they create an unbalanced stage. So I have a set of 47KSC6504 in hand for the fronts now as well. However, the more I've been reading, opinions seem split on whether front door speakers are worth it without adding an amp- something I'm not planning to do.

The discussion over there was the KSC series vs. the CSC series, and how there's a minimum recommended 15 watt RMS on the KSC series, while the CSC series has a minimum of 10 RMS, and thus could be better suited to be driven by a factory amp.

My dash KSC's are staying- I don't have the box or anything for returns. But now I'm wondering if I might see slightly better results (and save a little cash) with the CSC series in the front doors, and perhaps even the back doors? Most of my listening is within the volume 20-30 range.

EDIT: Spoke with Crutchfield to see where the convo might lead- they actually recommended doing the DSC series (43DSC6504) for the front doors and if I chose to also swap out the rear doors. They explained you'd see the least loss of mid- to mid-low end with these. Anyone using them?
Wonder how these compare to the JBLs. I still have the box for these and overall I think they sound fine. Much better than the stock plastic crap! I haven't gotten around to pulling my door panels off for the front speakers (My car is less than 2 weeks old so I'm not ready lol)

Looking subwoofer installs and still torn between the spare tire sub and a low profile one.

·
Registered
110 Posts
can anyone confirm this is the same harness as tacotunes one?

Seems like the tacotunes one is now discontinued
Yes… if you have the non-JBL head unit. Black is the 10 pin speaker connector and White is the 28 pin power, ground etc connector.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Update: So JBL Bass Hub Pro has been installed for over a week and sounding great, However I am getting some crackling from the dash speakers (Kicker KS Series) I have installed the included 12db crossover BUT do I also need to install bass blockers with them?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Update: So JBL Bass Hub Pro has been installed for over a week and sounding great, However I am getting some crackling from the dash speakers (Kicker KS Series) I have installed the included 12db crossover BUT do I also need to install bass blockers with them?
If it’s a 2-way….. then the crossover is most likely just for the tweeter. So adding an additional high pass filter (bass blocker) might help.

·
Registered
81 Posts
No… the crossover is a high pass filter (attenuates frequencies below its set point).
Okay, was confused because there were mixed opinions on that! I will install some bass blockers UNLESS it's too late!

Edit: I think I am going to swap out my Fiancee's DS Kickers with my KS Kickers seeing as the DS require less power it might be better for the stock HU. She has an aftermarket so it will push the KS better IMO.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I’ve read through this thread some and wanted to share my plans. I’ve already upgraded the speakers. I used all JBL Club with the 322s in the dash and the 620s in the doors. That by itself was a huge improvement and easy (even in the heat of the southeast right now). So the plan is to pair that with a Club 5055 5 channel and an Audio Control LC2i. The PAC LPHTY02 harness will be used so I don’t have to cut any wires and also provide ground, constant and switched to the LC2i. It’s been 30+ years since I did anything like this so I wanted to get some more eyes on it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Anyone have any issues with sound cutting out when you increase the bass on the radio with the new setup? I've noticed it sometimes
Ah you mean like the speakers getting over powered and clipping or distorting? So basically you are over powering your front tweeters the 3.5 in speaker which are also wired to your door speakers. So if they bottom out and don't work the door speakers will also not work. So just turn down your bass or change your configuration. Anyhow FWIW I wired all speakers to an amp 4x 6.5 new wiring to 4 channel amp. So if you look at this photo there is 4 lines coming off your one 3.5 in speaker. I cut the two of the four and just have the 3.5 playing off the stock radio.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

Light Hood Electrical wiring Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Hood Grey Automotive tire Electrical wiring Vehicle door

·
Registered
366 Posts
What does clipping those two wires do? I'm using the OP's configuration, with the taco tunes cable to not really cut into the OEM cables
I was showing that if those 3.5 speakers are blown because of heavy bass turned all the way up they affect the door speakers also so if those go... your door also won't have sound. Which was his question. I clipped those because I re wired all my speakers directly to my amplifier. The only ones I kept wired to the radio are those front two.

·
Registered
Toyota RAV4 2021 XLE Blueprint
163 Posts
I was showing that if those 3.5 speakers are blown because of heavy bass turned all the way up they affect the door speakers also so if those go... your door also won't have sound. Which was his question. I clipped those because I re wired all my speakers directly to my amplifier. The only ones I kept wired to the radio are those front two.
I'm the person that asked that question. Question still stands, what does clipping those two wires do exactly? Not sure the correlation between that, the connection to the amp, or the HU.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This isn't entirely true. If you are using aftermarket wiring harnesses, like Red Wolf, the connection is moved back into the harness, not the speaker. So if you blew the speakers you would still have connection to the doors. Unless you blow the wires themselves, lol.

561 - 579 of 579 Posts