Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
The dash and front door speakers are run in parallel. If you disconnect the dash speakers you will see that the door ones will not work.
Keep this in mind if you are going to run speaker wires to the dash and remember to bridge the wires at the factory connector so the door speakers work.
easiest way to do this without cutting wires is just to plug in a speaker adapter and cap off the ends.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Just to possibly help someone in the future, being that the speakers are run in parallel, you should replace any aftermarket speakers with speakers that have the same impedance. Every speaker that is part of the daisy chain will reduce impedance by 1/2. If you have less impedance than the amplifier was designed for the Amp will get too hot.

The dash and front door speakers are run in parallel. If you disconnect the dash speakers you will see that the door ones will not work.
Keep this in mind if you are going to run speaker wires to the dash and remember to bridge the wires at the factory connector so the door speakers work.
easiest way to do this without cutting wires is just to plug in a speaker adapter and cap off the ends.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just to possibly help someone in the future, being that the speakers are run in parallel, you should replace any aftermarket speakers with speakers that have the same impedance. Every speaker that is part of the daisy chain will reduce impedance by 1/2. If you have less impedance than the amplifier was designed for the Amp will get too hot.
Absolutely. Most good quality auto speakers are 4ohms (yes some dip lower but keep in mind it is frequency dependent). So two in parallel is 2 ohms (or a bit lower) so a high quality 2ohm (or lower) stable amp is your best bet.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Absolutely. Most good quality auto speakers are 4ohms (yes some dip lower but keep in mind it is frequency dependent). So two in parallel is 2 ohms (or a bit lower) so a high quality 2ohm (or lower) stable amp is your best bet.
I replaced my dash and front doors with 3 ohm speakers (kept the rear doors untouched which are stock 4 ohm). What's the best solution to this? I haven't installed an amp yet but will in the future

·
Registered
48 Posts
Was a line output converter not necessary? Did you tap into the rear door speakers for the subwoofer?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #88

Much needed cheap DSP added into the mix. 4 door speakers + BassPro Sub now being driven by the DSR1 using rear speaker inputs from G4 of head unit.
Dash speakers continue to be driven from head unit and does not pass thru DSP. Finished tuning the DSP and for @$200 makes a world of difference for SQ!(y)

·
Registered
51 Posts

Much needed cheap DSP added into the mix. 4 door speakers + BassPro Sub now being driven by the DSR1 using rear speaker inputs from G4 of head unit.
Dash speakers continue to be driven from head unit and does not pass thru DSP. Finished tuning the DSP and for @$200 makes a world of difference for SQ!(y)
Have you noticed any sort of crackling/distortion coming from your dash speakers? And also, is this all in your glove box? Do you have room for much else in there with all that mounted?

I ask because currently, I experience some sort of crackling/distortion from mine. My setup is the stock 6-speaker setup but with my two dash speakers replaced with the Infinity Reference REF-3022cfx. Can anybody here help me understand why it might be crackling sometimes? It happens for specific songs. I can't quite narrow down what the common denominator between these songs is, either.

I almost wonder if it is digital clipping or something.

·
Registered
51 Posts
An intermittent speaker wire connection may cause this. You could try using a multi-meter to verify no extra resistance in the speaker path
I want to clarify that this phenomenon is reproducible and happens at specific moments for specific songs. These songs sound otherwise fine on headphones, computer speakers, etc.

This makes me think that it's not likely to be an intermittent speaker wire connection, especially considering that I am using a harness adapter to connect my speakers to the wire from the head unit.

I appreciate your help!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
This makes me think that it's not likely to be an intermittent speaker wire connection, especially considering that I am using a harness adapter to connect my speakers to the wire from the head unit.
If this wasn't occuring prior to your speaker swap there is a very good chance your speakers may be defective or possibly overdriven by the 20W RMS head unit.

Does this happen when your equalizer in your head unit is set to flat, ie no BASS or MID turned up!?

·
Registered
51 Posts
If this wasn't occuring prior to your speaker swap there is a very good chance your speakers may be defective or possibly overdriven by the 20W RMS head unit.

Does this happen when your equalizer in your head unit is set to flat, ie no BASS or MID turned up!?
Your comment about them being overdriven makes sense - the speakers are considerably louder than the stock ones, which suggests to me that they are more sensitive to whatever signal is being sent to them than the stock ones were. I don't think the issue occurred prior to the speaker swap, though the original speakers were pretty bad and were making crackling/distortion noises on their own, of a different nature, if I remember correctly.

I have my vehicles EQ set to flat and I have sound leveling disabled as well. The issue is the same regardless of the audio source (i.e. bluetooth and carplay sound the same).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don’t forget to check the equalizer of your source ie phone. I’ve run into issues like this when I tried to mess around with the equalizer on Spotify. I just set it to flat and haven’t had any issues since

·
Registered
289 Posts
Have you noticed any sort of crackling/distortion coming from your dash speakers? And also, is this all in your glove box? Do you have room for much else in there with all that mounted?

I ask because currently, I experience some sort of crackling/distortion from mine. My setup is the stock 6-speaker setup but with my two dash speakers replaced with the Infinity Reference REF-3022cfx. Can anybody here help me understand why it might be crackling sometimes? It happens for specific songs. I can't quite narrow down what the common denominator between these songs is, either.

I almost wonder if it is digital clipping or something.
I have the same speakers but my the same issue. What song and what source are you playing? What volume level as well?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #96 (Edited)
I have the same speakers but my the same issue.
Keep in mind the 2 dash + 2 front door speakers are wired in parallel stock and possibly this combined ohm load is low enough that the rather weak head unit maybe having difficulty driving the load possibly resulting in this distortion...

Since I have separated my 2 aftermarket dash speaker load to head unit which is driven specifically from front left/right of head unit from the rear left/right head unit > high-level into DSR1 DSP > 4 channel amp + amplified sub I am not experiencing this specific issue with dash speakers distortion...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah I have the same speakers and the same issue. Once you hit around a volume level of 35 or > it gets bad. I think @somms is right, we just need a better head unit or an amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did you wire in the caps for those dash speakers? ;)
But an amp is part of the upgrade path once you start replacing speakers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My guess is that the dash speakers are treated as a lame version of a component speaker with the front doors since they are wired in parallel. This is keeping the front channels at 4 ohms, not 2 ohms. For example, a 4 ohm aftermarket component set will have both a woofer and tweeter at 4 ohms each, even though they are wired in parallel. The same would apply to a coaxial speaker too. This has to do with the capacitors and the frequency of each driver. Less resistance when you are outside of the frequency response of the speaker. The caps on the stock dash speaker limit quite a bit of frequency keeping the impedance at 4 ohms for the channel.

Adding aftermarket dash speakers is likely bringing down the impedance to 2 ohms or lower for the front channel and the stock headunit is probably not rated for 2 ohms. So between the low RMS and the impedance mismatch on the headunit, performance is suffering. A 2 ohm stable amplifier is basically a must have for an upgrade as others have pointed out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Does anyone know the frequencies each speaker receives? I'm planning to install a component set in the front and don't want to connect it to an input that is not full range. I suspect the woofers will have a wider range but just want to make sure.

81 - 100 of 253 Posts