4x Door cards
Door lock
Seatbelt

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Update!
I made a roof rack from 3/4in emt conduit. No welding involved. Just A LOT of drilling. I used pre bent 90 degree conduit and connectors for the corners since I didn’t want to buy the pipe bender.

I painted it with truck bed liner to be more stealthy

Here it is mounted with u-bolts and rubber wedged in between to reduce noise.

It’s pretty sturdy. I hold onto the rook rack and pull myself up to access it with no problem. Haven’t had any wind noise from it yet. Will be getting a wind deflector in the front once I figure out what material to use. I was worried about tipping over since it is also lifted, but so far so good. I put my sleeping bag and chairs on it and I had no problems. Overall really happy with how it turned out and how much it cost. I think it is sturdier than the Amazon roof rack and cost less to make. It’s also technically modular and if I ever wanted to make it smaller or bigger I can change it around without having to spend anything especially with the materials I have left over.

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Rav4 (3 Doors, AWD, Manual)
89 Posts
WOAH! That is looking amazing!

If it's not too indiscrete... How much did it cost you? I am looking into buying a small roof rack for mine, but the price tag is making me feel like I'd rather spend that money on a mountain bike.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am also curious as to how you flattened the extremities of the tubes. A hammer, or a bench clamp?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I am also curious as to how you flattened the extremities of the tubes. A hammer, or a bench clamp?
It cost about $100 without paint and tools. It’s about 6ft x 3ft. I tried using a hammer to flatten it but it was a lot of work and not that accurate. I eventually asked a friend to press them with a hydraulic press. If you had a sledge hammer and an anvil it would probably be doable. If you have proper tools for drilling cutting and flattening this would be a piece of cake, but I didn’t have that many tools so it was a lot more work.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'll try and make it with a bench press! I can rent almost every tool at a local tool library.

Thanks for sharing this knowledge

21 - 27 of 27 Posts