Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it was above 40 degrees (F) out the other day so I decided to open the moonroof and enjoy the sun.

Noticed when I got up to 30 MPH, I started to get a buffering effect. Had to "crack" one of the rear windows to equalize pressure.

Anyone else have this issue? Any work arounds other than "cracking" a window? I know in Audi's you can't open the moonroof fully due to the same effect - they even have a position for it so it doesn't happen... Didn't really notice if the RAV has it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The Rav has the same feature. If you press open, it opens 2" short of fully open to reduce the wind effect. The owners manual mentions it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Harold said:
The RAV has the same feature. If you press open, it opens 2" short of fully open to reduce the wind effect. The owners manual mentions it.
I thought I read that before, but wasn't sure... Thanks.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Almost all cars that I've had with a sunroof were subject to this. Most do now have the two-position switch like a VW/Audi that doesn't open the panel fully unless you specifically want that. Personally I prefer the roof open all the way so I just crack the RR window.

On a similar note, in warmer weather I often drive with the driver's window all the way down. In most cars I've found that opening the RR window a couple of inches also reduces the buffeting you get from having the driver's window down.

·
Registered
88 Posts
yup with all windows closed and moonroof open i get buffetting.

DO NOT TILT MOONROOF UP AND OPEN REAR WINDOWS. When i got on the freeway and up to speed say 60 mph. This seems to hit the natural frequency inside the car and I almost blew out my ear drums not to mention the moonroof was waving up and down very hard. Huge amount of buffetting, like boom boom. :shock:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts