Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are discussion topics around bug removal but most of them are old.So here are the old questions for new RAV4...

I have Blueprint color RAV4 and after hour long trip on highway front of the car and side mirrors are covered with dead bugs, they are one nasty material ... need to get get rid of them ASAP.

With my camry I relied on car wash systems to wash and clean those bugs but in the long run my white color camry ended up developing few serious paint chips and couple of rusty spots mostly thanks to bugs (and salty Michigan winters)

Now that I have new RAV4 wondering if people here have succeeded in dealing with bugs in the long run?

One thing I want to do differently this time is to hand wash car myself and use some kind of commercial product like Turle wax to clean bugs.

So you people have any recommendations for cleaning bugs? I am looking for long term usage experiences...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Use dryer sheets, wet - takes them right off. Wash off residue right away it dries quickly. An old school trick is to spray PAM on the most hit surfaces just prior to your road trip, helps them not stick. The sheets took all this off in a few minutes work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Use dryer sheets, wet - takes them right off. Wash off residue right away it dries quickly. An old school trick is to spray PAM on the most hit surfaces just prior to your road trip, helps them not stick. The sheets took all this off in a few minutes work.

I think if my vehicle looked like that I would have seizures. :oops:

Up North we dont have that issue nearly as bad but before I trip I do give it a thorough wash/wax and carry along spray detailer and towels as I agree you have to get that bug goo off ASAP to make sure the clear coat doesnt get etched. My wife thinks I am nuts (she is probably right).

·
Registered
8 Posts
To remove dried on bugs, I use a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and simple green in a spray bottle. (50/50). Make sure the vehicle is cool, spray it on and let sit till the bubbling stops. This has removed the majoriity of them for me, and the rest comes off easily with a nylon scrubby and a little elbow grease.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

That is one heck of a example picture for bugs on car :)

Do you have link to to this Dryer sheet product? I am told do not use paper towels as they scratch clear quote...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think if my vehicle looked like that I would have seizures. :oops:

Up North we dont have that issue nearly as bad but before I trip I do give it a thorough wash/wax and carry along spray detailer and towels as I agree you have to get that bug goo off ASAP to make sure the clear coat doesnt get etched. My wife thinks I am nuts (she is probably right).
You spoke my mind, I will join nuts about bugs club :)

show your wife rust and paint chips caused by uncleared bugs, I will tell you they are nasty

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To remove dried on bugs, I use a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and simple green in a spray bottle. (50/50). Make sure the vehicle is cool, spray it on and let sit till the bubbling stops. This has removed the majoriity of them for me, and the rest comes off easily with a nylon scrubby and a little elbow grease.
Hydrogen peroxide H2O2 is pretty close being a good acidic fluid, how long you have been using this? You didn’t see paint and clear quote peel?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I use Griot's Garage Speed Shine and a microfiber cloth...

·
Registered
6 Posts
That is one heck of a example picture for bugs on car :)

Do you have link to to this Dryer sheet product? I am told do not use paper towels as they scratch clear quote...
We were going to take the RAV but left it in the garage, took the Sequoia instead, Love Bug season in Florida was brutal this year. The regular generic dryer sheets from Walmart is what we used, wet car and sheet, wipe them bugs off, then wash.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hydrogen peroxide H2O2 is pretty close being a good acidic fluid, how long you have been using this? You didn’t see paint and clear quote peel?
Never had a problem with paint peeling, I have an 09 Corolla and an 11 Rav4. Both in great condition. Maybe its because i am very consistent applying sealant and wax. Plus if I know I am going for a long drive or driving late at night, I will throw a quick coat of wax on the front before I go. But I have used the hydrogen peroxide and simple green consistently for over 20 years with no problems. Also, the most I leave it on is 10 minutes before I wash them off!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts