Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a bug shield that attachs to the front hood of the RAV.
I do a lot of highway driving and the bugs on the windshield are unbelievable.

Would prefer actual pics of the ones available for the RAV (not just a generic shot on some other vehicle). Also would like one that is clear so I can paint the inside part to match my vehicle.

No permanent attachment either, I want to remove it in the cooler (non-bug) months as these shields are not really attractive in my opinion.

Thanks

jerij

·
Registered
24 Posts
bug shields

I don't have an answer specifically,I thought about the same thing, but have changed my mind after I talked to a friend who commented on the OEM one he put on his 2003 Toyota pickup. He told me I would not want one, it was noisy, created a lot of turbulence and cut his gas mileage more than he liked. He got his shield not more than a few weeks after he got his truck, and I pretty much trust his commnets.

Good luck
Ken

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I have a hood deflector on my RAV and had one also on a previous car. I've never found that they create noise or lower fuel economy; however, although you see them advertised as protecting your hood AND windshield, it has not been my experience that having the deflector makes a real difference in the bug count on your windshield. Really, it should be seen primarily as a guard to protect the leading edge of your hood.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I purchased a bug shield a few months after I bought my car, but i wouldn't necessarily call it that way since it doesn't really do much to avoid the bugs hitting the windshield, although it has caught a few. It does protect the edge of the hood, like bmorton said.
About the sound and mileage thing, I haven't had any problems at all.
You might want to try finding a clip-on one on ebay, although i doubt it cuz i've never seen one like that sold there. 99% of the hood deflectors ebay sells are the stick-on type. I think there's a member here with the type that you're looking for, but unfortunately i can't remember who that is :(.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should be called "hood shields." At highway speeds the bugs still get smashed on the windshield. At slower speeds they'd probably get out of the way anyway. Didn't see any difference in bugs, mileage, or noise after installing mine.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I never bothered with one, because even though they might protect the hood, they don't protect the metal trim panel around the front grille and headlights, which I find gets hit more than the hood itself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts