Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed this today on the front driver's side tyre. The bulge wasn't there a couple of days ago. The other 3 tyres are looking normal. Tyres are running 36 psi in the front and 34 psi in the rear. What could cause this? Gotta take my car to my tyre guy next weekend. Do you think it's safe to drive with this tyre till then?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looks like a pot hole caused the damage. Gotta put my stock wheels back on till i can get another tyre.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Mohit said:
low profiles will naturally give a harsher ride that the stock balloon tyres. australia has the worst roads of any developed country but we dont see rim buckling or bending due to our crap roads. just go slower over bigger holes and bumps.
Mohit, after reading your post about the bulging tires; I remembered the post you just made the other day. :cry: Sorry to hear about your tire. That is one of the reasons why I did not go with the low profile tires, we got some deep pot holes here too! :twisted:

Hopefully you can get it replaced under warranty. I just wouldn't mention hitting a pot hole though. :lol:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i always go slow thru pot holes but i remember the big one i went thru the other day. unfortunately i didnt see it as it was raining heavily and the whole road looked smooth and it was difficult to make out the imperfections on the road. i'll have to get a 235/60/16 tyre to run as my spare too as my current spare cannot be used as its too large od-wise.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Hey bud! Sorry about the tire man. Big Bucks! Most reputable places offer Road Hazard Warranties on their products and do a good job of honoring it. Hopefully you got that with yours.

It is definetly caused by hitting something. A pot-hole is most likely as you have stated you hit one recently. I see it all the time.

In low profile tires it is very common. Tire damage on the outside you may be lucky to have not bent your rim. Hit one that causes this damage on the inside, and you are very likely to bend your rim. I see that all the tiime also. Good news is that they can be straightened again.

Good luck getting a new tire. In the mean time have your rim checked on a wheel balancer for trueness. You may have to get this fixed before you get a new tire. (or while your waiting for your new tire)

To all out there ask about road-hazard warranties and get feed back on how the dealer is at honoring them! Very Important! Tires are too expensive to have to replace all the time. Some places offer no-charge road-hazard warranties. (Costco) for example. I buy all my tires there. Sorry for those of you who don't have a Costco.

Later. M.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went to my tyre guy and tried to act dumb but he knew what the problem was straight away...impact damage. Not covered by warranty. Price he gave me for one new 235/50/18 Dunlop SP Sport 2000 tyre was $AU485. Also got qoutes from 3 other tyre places but they were even more expensive...$AU499, $AU505 and $AU510. The tyre and size is standard equipment on BMW 7 series and Jaguar XJR so i tried my local BMW and Jaguar dealerships to see what price they could give...both wanted $AU550 for one tyre!

I then decided to call some used tyre shops around my area. One guy said he had some 235/50/18s in stock so i went down to see them. Picked up two used Michelin Pilot SX tyres for $AU100 each...both have 90% tread remaining. Also picked up a Goodyear Eagle NCT3 235/60/16 tyre to run as my spare for $AU30...this one has 50% tread left. All prices included fitting and balancing. So fronts are Michelins, rears are Dunlops and spare is Goodyear...i'm a tyre brand whore :twisted:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts