Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

From what I understand the average weight of a bull bar is ~50kg. Can anyone report what effect this additional weight has on average MPG for a 2.2TD XT-R.

Also, what are the legal implications of fitting a bull bar? The UK GOV states that It is not illegal for vehicles to be fitted with bull bars, although the department would not recommend their fitment if they pose an additional risk of injury to pedestrians or other vulnerable road users.

This is a conflict of information. The purpose of bull bars is to protect the vehicle from collisions with wildlife. As such the very nature and design of bull bars will inevitable cause harm to pedestrians or other vulnerable road users...

Registered
I put a bull bar on mine and it's only 11kg (shipping weight and probably the largest one available for the Rav)... whoever is telling you 50kg should be punched in the face 馃槀
I didn't lose any mileage, maybe a fraction but nothing noticeable.

As for the UK government blurb - I would interpret that as a bar extending outside of the vehicle's dimensions. Something like that would pose a threat to people or objects around the vehicle.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I put a bull bar on mine and it's only 11kg (shipping weight and probably the largest one available for the Rav)... whoever is telling you 50kg should be punched in the face 馃槀
I didn't lose any mileage, maybe a fraction but nothing noticeable.

As for the UK government blurb - I would interpret that as a bar extending outside of the vehicle's dimensions. Something like that would pose a threat to people or objects around the vehicle.
I dont know where I had read the weight for a bull bar, however the weight you state sounds far more appropriate and realistic. If it doesnt affect average MPG too much I will definitely invest as I do a lot of night time country driving (risk of deer) and work in fishing docks (lots of fish boxes and low concrete bollards).

Registered
I would expect the full grille guards to weigh more as there is more overall metal - maybe that's where you got a bigger weight estimate.

If you have low stuff, make sure your bar has a skid plate! Most do, but just make sure since it sounds like it would be really useful on the docks.

Registered
Any sources for front and rear skid plates? Or were you thinking of making your own custom ones?
There is not much out there for skid plates since there is low demand. There are some members that have made their own. You can get the metal in some places in small sizes depending on where you live at reasonable price.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts