Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a good bull bar or brunch guard with a winch and possibly a mounted light bar. I was wondering if anyone has installed their own. I'm looking for ideas of how to set it up and any recommendations on good aftermarket brands. Pics would be a great help!

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Am dubious that the 4.3 RAV4 would be able to accommodate such a bull bar and winch arrangement without quite extensive reinforcement of the mounting points area. Unibody "frame" used for the RAV is quite unlike the body-on-frame construction of pickup trucks, for example. Some RAV4 owners have installed bull bars but in a frontal crash they actually can increase the damage. Suggest doing a forum search regarding a bull bar/brush guard (magnifying glass at top of forum page).

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I haven't seen anyone install a winch. Even though there is a steel frame under the bumper it may not be strong enough. I seen some custom steel bumpers that could hold a winch but those ones are very expensive. You need to talk to a shop that can advise you on that.

·
Registered
387 Posts
The mounting points will need to be beefed up, along with part of the "frame". The entire front end is designed to crumple in an accident. The cross bar behind the bumper cover needs to be replaced by something more substantial.

I am going to install a hitch in the front, but I need to do some cutting/welding so the vehicle doesn't tear apart. The recovery plates are a joke. This is not something to be done by the inexperienced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts