Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a slight "bump" or lack of smoothness when I turn the steering wheel on my (low-mileage) 2009 AWD 6-Cylinder RAV4. I can't find anything noticeably wrong but I'm conscious of this bump especially in a left turn (hard left).
Has anyone else experienced this? The vehicle has low enough mileage on it that I would be very surprised to find anything worn out at this point but...
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
You may be talking about the steering wheel "clunk," which has been discussed many times, most notably in this "Sticky" thread at the top of this forum (the Search tool is your Friend)

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/91865-how-replace-intermediate-steering-shaft-solve-clunk-problem.html

A simple fix by injecting Rem gun oil with a hypodermic needle into the shaft seal has been reported by several to work well. It's mentioned in post #37 of that thread (direct link):

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/91865-how-replace-intermediate-steering-shaft-solve-clunk-problem-4.html#post1766049

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
Just for a point of reference ours has made the noise as long as we've owned it, from 75,000 to 125,000 miles. I've purchased the Rem oil but haven't yet tried it primarily because it only happens a parking lot speeds and while it's still there my wife and I really don't notice it anymore since I determined it's nothing critical.
If yours has the thumping noise at highway speeds I'd get to checked but the low speed bump can be considered normal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems to be only at parking lot speeds, backing out of the driveway, slow turns, etc. My wife didn't even notice it but I picked up on it pretty quickly after having not driven the vehicle myself in a long time. Hard to isolate where its coming from since it translates through the wheel but the info provided seems to indicate the source is the steering shaft...

·
Registered
207 Posts
My '11 Ltd. with 50K miles has it too. I only hear it at full lock left and right when I'm parking. I've read about the solution. But I'm not bothered by it so maybe I'll do it...and maybe I won't.:ponder:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts