Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my followup on my mangled 05 Sport. The local repair shop (highly recommended) called me Friday to pick up my repaired 05. The damage was, front bumper cover, left fender, and trim around grill, I guess you would call it, plus fender flares and a new left headlight. All from a 1 mph collision. These were all replace and repaint, not repair.

The estimate was about $2,250. I went Monday to pick the RAV up and rejected it, the bumper cover was loaded with dust in the paint, and some nicks before I even got there. The other paint was excellent good color match, decently painted.

They said they would buff the paint and have it ready on Tuesday. So back I go yesterday. Most of the dust is out, except underneath, where I am sure the guy did not buff, as he was not told to. Now, however, there is a scratch, horizontal next to the headlight which I had not noticed the day before (and I think it was not there). I was frustrated, came in the office, said I was paying for it, but I was not happy. Owners wife happened to be there, called the owner had him come out and look it over. They emphasized they wanted every customer happy. I pointed out what the problems were, and they agreed that it was not right. He said the scratch must have been on the bumper they got in. Said they would order another, get it painted and then call me to replace it.

Since the bumper is textured, they simply cannot sand it out without it showing as well. Now I don't disagree with that, but I am wondering if replacement parts come in like this often. I really wanted this right, but I was getting really tired. The owner and his wife were super nice, and once the RAV is right, I'll have no trouble recommending them with the mention of watch for specific things. They have been very nice to deal with, and very cooperative.

I also noticed one thing that I do not have a compairison on, that is the trim strip between the fender flare along the bumper. The filler trim does not go all the way to the bottom of the piece, I have no recollection of that being somewhat short, and the other side does not appear that short, anyones RAV got a similar thing. Should be all new trim and filler in my book.

I find it hard to believe that someone in the shop would not have noticed the problems and said something about it to the manager.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this process or dealings with these repair parts.

Ken

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ken,

I get new sheets of material all the time with nicks and stuff on them. I'm sure new parts are the same way especially if they are large like the bumper. It could have been scratched by the guys taking it out of the box accidently, not that this is right but the piece does have a ways to go from the supplier down to the installer. Shoot even brand new cars get dinged on there way from the factory to the dealer...:(

The paint issue is fully on the shop and should be corrected by them. Maybe they got a new guy in to the paint booth and the exhaust fans weren't turned on or the floor wasn't wetted down (what I do to keep dust down).

I'd take a picture of my trim and put it in the post but don't know if it would take. On my passenger side the trim on the fender flare doesn't look like it goes all the way down to the bumper.

One other thing I'd like to mention is that even though we look at our vechiles all the time, we don't scrutinize them and when a fender bender happens we notice every little scratch, dent, dust particle, nick, etc which may have been there for a very long time. I'm not saying you do or don't know the car inside and out, but in general most people don't.

Otherwise, sorry about the fender bender and the issues you've had getting it repaired. :(

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Brian

We'll see what happens, they called yesterday to tell me the new bumper and filler were in, and asked if I can bring it Monday. I think the big problem was either a new guy painting, or like you said, did not wet down the floor.

I did look it over closely, I knew how it looked before the fender bender, and I wanted it right, now I am going to admit that the filler piece on the trim on the bumper, could have been short, that one I did not recall specifically, but my paint was clean and perfect. I just want it back that way. So we'll see what happens next week, I'll follow up with details.

I still wonder if I was/am being too picky, but I felt like a new part out of the carton should be clean and nice, I think it was mainly sloppy work, and if I had not called them on it, would have been stuck, I still feel like a supervisor should inspect the work before even calling the customer. I know in my work I can spend tons of time, not billable, to make my clients happy. Even if it is their mistake!

Ken

1 - 3 of 3 Posts