Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my 2006 Rav4 Sport last night. Didn't think it was going to arrive in time to pick it up but it got there around 8:30 so I was able to pick it up as they closed. When I got home I noticed an odor that smelled like burning oil. I remember the smell from my old car when the head gasket went and cracked the head. Is this normal on a new vehicle? The Rav came from a dealership about 4 hours away, so when I got it there were already 270 miles on it. Today I noticed the smell again, but not as bad. Although my nose is a bit stuffed. My sister went on a ride with me and she also noticed the odor. Is it normal for a new vehicle to have a burning oil smell or should I take it in to the dealer? My salesman was off today and is supposed to call tomorrow to see how things are. I'll bring it up with him too. Eventually I also want to have them check the driver-side rear seat release. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 pulls of the release lever to get it to fold the seat down. The passenger-side isn't so bad, normally one pull folds it down. I know the ones I've looked at and test drove all folded down with no problem. Other than these 2 items I love my Rav!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I would imagine what you're smelling is the cosmoline burning off the underhood area of the car. Cosmoline is a spray that is used as a rust inhibitor on cars that are shipped overseas. I'll bet it will go away after a few days.

·
Super Moderator
1,567 Posts
Jeez, I'm glad we have so many knowledgable people in residence here! 8)

Cosmoline... sounds like... I dunno what... a mixed drink? :p

·
Registered
682 Posts
If the smell doesnt go away in a week take the car back. When we bought our LandCruiser new in 2003 we got a burning smell as well that wouldnt go away. Ended up being a faulty rubber seal that was letting the transfer case fluid drip onto the hot exhaust. Was repaired under warranty of course.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I don't have the same problem with the seats dropping. Both goes down on the first pull, like butta. You should have the dealership look at the releases when you're in there just in case. I don't think the seatbelts are in the way since they go down eventually.

On a side note:
A couple of people posted that the top glove compartment's button doesn't always work. What I've noticed is that if I push down on the button with a little bit of pressure (not smashing it in or anything) but a good push, it always pops open and closes as it should. If I just kind of softly push it down, it doesn't always pop open.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I spoke with my salesman and he said it's normal. So I'll keep a nose out for a while and see if it goes away. I guess I forgot to take my checkbook out of my old car, so have to go pick that up and drop off a turnpike receipt the driver left in my Rav. They'll check my seat release when I go there.

For the auxillary storage bin, one thing I noticed is that if you don't use the button to close it, but close it manually instead, the next time you press the button to open it it won't work. This is just what I've observed from checking them at dealers.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I smelled the oil buring during the first few hundred km. The smell was gone after few days of warm weather. I think we need to bring the engine tempreture up high enough to burn out the smell out.

I have same complaint about the open/close button. I have to press the button all the way to open the door, but it doesn't need the same force to close it.

TSQ

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ditto on the burning oil smell and troublesome upper glove box. The dealership said there is a tech note on the glove box to replace the spring with a stiffer one.

Rob

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
its NOT oil burning. Its a anti rust coating that is sprayed under the truck as it leaves Japan to keep from rusting on the trip over here via ships. *ALL* imported vehicles do this until it burns off the exhaust system... not to worry:)

tsq2006 said:
I smelled the oil buring during the first few hundred km. The smell was gone after few days of warm weather. I think we need to bring the engine tempreture up high enough to burn out the smell out.

I have same complaint about the open/close button. I have to press the button all the way to open the door, but it doesn't need the same force to close it.

TSQ

·
Registered
179 Posts
flyingn said:
Its a anti rust coating that is sprayed under the truck as it leaves Japan to keep from rusting on the trip over here.
So now that we bought the car it will begin to rust? :)
Actually it's kind of a real question; if this is something that rusts, it seems like this "preventing the rust until the owner gets the car" is a cosmetic thing? I expect to keep my car for 10 years, so what's the diff if it begins to rust the minute it leaves the factory vs. 30 days later when someone gets it from a dealer?

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Cosmoline is a waxy oily substance the auto industry use to keeps the matel from rusting during shipping due to the salt water. They are suppose to remove the cosmoline at the point of entry into this country. Of course, most of time they dont get rid of it all. If you still smell oil after your first tank full, I would say there may be a problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts