Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Purchased my first car a '97 RAV4 about a year ago with 245,000kms on it and put on another 25,000kms since then. The car runs great and I must say the reliability is AWESOME especially for a student. What I noticed since the beginning of my ownership is that the car burns 3/4 of oil for about 2000-2500kms. Car dealer I bought it from says it's normal for high mileage cars and its' nothing to worry about. I was wondering what you guys think of this problem or if anyone had a similar issue and how they dealt with it?

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks
VC

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
3/4 of a litre or 3/4 of the total oil amount?

Yes it is normal for a high mileage engine to chew a bit of oil. It's typical problems for all cars. Replace the valve stem seals and you will be sweet ass.

Also, use a thicker base oil, but in Canada now, it's winter, so anthing too thick is not recommended. Depends on how much you want to spend on the oil. Use a semi-synthetic for good oil and cheap on budget. As with viscosity range wise, around 15w-50 would be ideal for an engine around that mileage.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry should have mentionned it was 3/4 of the total oil amount (well that's what shows up on the dip stick).

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into different types of oils for my next oil change. About replacing the valve stem seals is that something that you can do yourself or better be left for a mechanic if you're not to savy with engine components?

Thanks

·
Registered
181 Posts
Even taking into account trhe high mileage, that is a lot of oil usage.

Mine had 115,000 km (about 80,000 miles) and was doing over a litre every 1000 miles

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm........... That is a lot of oil consider the fact that the engine has 4Litres in total.

The valve stem seal is something that you cannot do. Take it to an experience mechanic to do it. You have to remove the head, springs, tappers, cam, etc. A bit of work involve.

Ask them to check on the piston ring wear as well. Check how far has the block wall worn. If it's worn pretty bad, I suggest you replace the engine instead. Oil will leak into the combustion chamber if the block is worn pretty bad. If you don't want to, you can always find 0.5mm wider piston rings. This will make sure the engine consume less oil and give your power band back.

·
Registered
542 Posts
i think vc001 means 3/4 of the dip-stick level... exactly how much oil must you put in to fill to the top level on the stick?

i'm bad, i know.. i only change oil every 15,000kms but use synthetic. the oil level when i roll in for oil/filter change is always the same as the level it rolled out with after the last oil change. never in it's 140,000km life did i ever have to top-up the oil!!! i have the "blue-puff" in the morning, but never seems to make a difference in the oil level. must be some serious lack of maintenance at some point in it's life if a 3s-fe looses oil...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Typically, the distance between the Full line and the Fill line on an oil dipstick is one quart.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have to top up about 2L of oil between oil changes. Which IS pretty bad as peterpogi2005 and rav97 mentionned. Our family had a 92 Corolla with roughly the same mileage and the oil stayed at the same level between oil changes. I'll find out exactly what the situation is with the valve stem seals as well as the piston wear. You guys think a Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If it doesnt bother you , just keep topping it up rather than spend big dollars on an engine rebuild.

It seems to be using too much to be the valve stem seals, so I'd say its the piston rings.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I figured if i can avoid the cotly repairs I'll jsut keep topping up the oil. I already keep a jug of oil in the back. I'm not big on performance or speed jsut want to make sure the car will last another couple of hundred thousand kilometres and gas consumption doens't increase. Actually, I noticed alot of people doing mods to their RAVs, What would be some cost effective MODS to increase fuel mileage. From what I read: new headers, pipes and muffler is a good way to go, Air Intake system, then there was also the TRD Thermostat and cap. What else can you guys suggest for better fuel economy? I'm thikning of doing somethign but am kinda held back by a small budget and the VAST choices available.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can't really make any serious mods to an engine that is consuming a bit of oil. The build up of waste oil in the intake/exhaust head is bad enough to cause a stroke in the engine.

As with cost effective mileage, fix the engine will give you a lot of gain. At least 10% difference in performance and gas saving.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Very true.

Although my old engine consumed oil, it seemed to run well and didnt seem down on power.

Now that I have another engine (one that thankfully doesnt use any oil), it feels like its got an extra cylinder.........such is the performance difference to the old engine which felt OK

·
Registered
302 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess it's a general conscensus that a new engine is what's needed. Well I guess I'll wait till the engine croaks which might be a few more years judging toyota's reliability.

pyxy_567 it's funny that you should mention the "tornado, vortex" product because I have a sheet of aluminum sitting in my garage that I got from a friend for the exact same purpose of making one of those "vortex" thigamagigs. I also wanted to find out if this piece metal will actually improve performance or fuel. When i get around to makign one of those I'll post somethign letting you know how it works out.
Thanks for the advice everyone.

·
Registered
880 Posts
vc001 said:
Hello everyone,

Purchased my first car a '97 RAV4 about a year ago with 245,000kms on it and put on another 25,000kms since then. The car runs great and I must say the reliability is AWESOME especially for a student. What I noticed since the beginning of my ownership is that the car burns 3/4 of oil for about 2000-2500kms. Car dealer I bought it from says it's normal for high mileage cars and its' nothing to worry about. I was wondering what you guys think of this problem or if anyone had a similar issue and how they dealt with it?

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks
VC
Mine uses that much if not more, I switched mine to 15w40 deisel oil and it has been running much cleaner, using less oil. I switched to 10w30 deisel oil for the winter since it does get pretty cold here. I found Shell Rotella to be the best quality deisel oil. I did this after a friend of mine with a gas engine VW Jetta with over 500,000 km on it told me that is his secret.

·
Registered
22 Posts
OK, this is a very old post but it describes the problem I have. My RAV is a 96 4WD 4dr MT with 129K miles. I bought it 2 months ago with 125K miles. Since I had a RAV4 before (2dr), it was more a fact of coming back to your first love.:wink

So I changed the diff oil, new PCV, new spark plugs, clean the distributor, a coolant flush and refill, new rear struts, new valve cover gasket and I did the throttle body cleaning. I also use the sea foam cleaner with all the good advises I found here :thumbs_up:

I also paid for the timing belt, serpentine and water pump change and the change of the diff mounts for the rear clunking noise that it had, and finally I did my second oil change and this time I am using a higher API grade engine oil.

All this work in order to reduce the oil leak that I have (like five drops every night) and the oil burning that is at a rate of a quart for every 1000 miles. The (very old) spark plugs where not oiled but the intake is really dirty (remember I cleaned the TB so I saw the intake full of gunk)

The engine runs just fine, no smoke from the pipe, no oil in the coolant, "good" mpg (25 MPG average Hwy/Cty, good idle speed 750 RPM. And the compression measurtements gave me 150,142,148,148 dry and 158,150,170,165 wet test.

So my questions are:
I have this leak from the intake side of the engine. Front seals where changed with the time belt work, and the distributor side is clean, as the exhaust side. Drops are coming from the oil pan bolts located towards the rear of the car What it could be: intake manifold gasket? oil pan gasket, or even the head gasket?

Now going to the oil burned, can I reduce the effect on the engine, taking apart the intake and do a cleaning (there are a lot of you tube videos about that ranging from torchs to easy off and water). How easy or complicated it will be? Does a oil catch can between the PVC and the intake will help as well?

Finally for how long thew engine will be working with out a engine rebuild, does anyone (vc001) have experience on that?

Thanks in advance

1 - 16 of 16 Posts