Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Rav4. there has a burnt plastic smell without smoke. The smell is only from the drive side, which is stronger when I close my nose to the dashboard. I have sent my car to 2 dealers, they checked vent system, brakes, wires, couldn't find anything. the wired thing is every time I sent it for checking, the technicians couldn't duplicate the odor.

this smell always occurs after driving for a while, especially with heavy traffic. even I turn off the heater/ac, still can fell it.

I am wondering if it is caused by spilled oil on engine, or extra small plastic nut or something nearby. however when I opened the hood, I rarely can fell it.

any suggestions? Many thanks.

Hubert

·
Registered
166 Posts
Drive your RAV for a while ... then take it into the dealer so the tech can smell what you smell.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Maybe your fender liner has become loose and rubbing against the wheels.

Did you use any new products to clean your engine bay? That might also give off fumes.

I also did rust proofing with oil last month. Anything that gets sprayed around the engine compartment or exhaust will give off burning smell.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
You know my rav has had a burnt smell from day one. Parked into the garage after a long drive. It still does it but hardly @45K.

I just attribute it to the "new car smell".

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
Could the burning smell be the power window master switch on the driver's door? There was a recall for that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To BugJr, I did every time, they still couldn't figure it out. I am not sure when it happened, but it has been there more than 1 year since I realize it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it looks like come out from the dashboard. even I turn off the heater, still can feel it. but the dealer said the wires were ok

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
to Mr pulldown, my throat is supersensitive to this smell, I always fell uncomfortable during driving. I hope it can be fixed, not willing to sell it, since the next owner may also suffer from it. also, lost money. it is still kind of new.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts