Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having a hard time find a V6 Limited with leather with just about all the options short of the DVD system here in the northeast. I've been told anywhere from 8 to 12 weeks to order one. However, as luck would have it, I am going to south Texas soon for a family function. Just out of curiousity, I looked up a local dealer and lo-and-behold they have a black one with the exact options I want in stock. Assuming I could get a good deal, would it be crazy to buy it there and drive back to New Jersey? I imagine shipping it would be too costly, but I'm not crazy about driving for three days by myself nor putting about 1600 miles on the odometer immediately. Any opinions?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Nope, not crazy in any way whatsoever!!! :twisted:

I bought mine in Boston (by FAX and Fedex) and drove her back home to Wisconsin after a couple of days enjoying the city. Sometimes this is the only way to get exactly what you want. In my case, it was the only way to get a Limited or a Sport with manual transmission. Or more accurately, I had a choice of a manual Limited in Boston or a manual Sport in Denver, and I'm just more of a Boston kinda person. :wink:

So, by all means, make a deal, make sure you comply with your state's rules for license plates, obtaining title, and paying sales tax (I called the DMV to get the necessary info on what to do), and get to know your Rav on the way home!

FYI, they told me shipping from Boston to Wisconsin (about 1100 miles) would run around $900. Personally I'd rather use that money for a hotel room and some sightseeing! It would probably be a bit more (due to more distance) from Texas to NJ.

We drove the entire 1100 miles in one day, you could easily make 1600 in two if you stop to sleep, or in one if you're exceptionally brave or have a second driver. I think our 1100 miles took about 16 hours altogether, BUT only because we were stuck in a MASSIVE traffic jam on the south side of Chicago, an hour from home, for a good couple of hours. We kept saying, "But we're so close!!!"

Becky

K

·
0 Posts
Don't know if that makes sense. About $160 in gas, couple of hundred in depreciation, and 2 days off work...

Frankly, I considered going down to LA to get the configuration I wanted (from SF Bay Area), but I was really glad I found a RAV4 locally. Saved myself a lot of hassle.

But if you are into roadtrips, it may be worth it!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kc456 said:
Don't know if that makes sense. About $160 in gas, couple of hundred in depreciation, and 2 days off work...

Frankly, I considered going down to LA to get the configuration I wanted (from SF Bay Area), but I was really glad I found a RAV4 locally. Saved myself a lot of hassle.

But if you are into roadtrips, it may be worth it!
Not worried about the days off of work. I have a flexible schedule and 24 vacation days a year. But at least 2 very long days driving by myself concerns me. Back when i lived in Houston I did it a few times with my wife. Even once in a 36 hour stretch in our foolish youth (she drove about 6 and me the other 30). But alone...I don't know. Not as young as I used to be!

As for the miles, I don't plan on doing many roadtrips in this car. I have the Sienna for that. I don't typically put too many a year on my cars so this shouldn't matter much in the end. At least the car will be broken in by the time I get back to NJ.

Man, sounds like I am trying to convince myself. Guess I owe it to myself to at least check it out. Anyway, if I decide to do it, I'll take pictures along the way and post it to the group.

·
Registered
230 Posts
We bought ours in Baltimore and I drove it back to Little Rock. The local dealers would not come off of MSRP and Fitzmall came off $2000. Even after expenses, we netted $1500...so it was worth it to us.

B

·
0 Posts
I only have 2 words to say about this idea........

ROAD TRIP :twisted:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yep, Ricky and I keep saying we may never buy a car locally again! We had a really exceptional experience buying WAY out of town.

McSwine - Glad to see I'm not the only crazy one! :lol:

Becky

R

·
0 Posts
I agree! Road Trip!!! Grab a friend, relative, or four-legged friend to come along to keep you company!

·
Registered
184 Posts
my 2 cents, you wont get better deal for new rav4 than in Boch Toyota in Norwood, MA. I bought mine in feb. 2002 for 5400 off the dealer price! Unbeatable!
As I know
1 goes MSRP.
2 goes dealer price (aprox 2500 off)
3 goes wholesale price (aprox 2500 off the 2nd)
4 goes net-dealer price (aprox 2000 off the 3rd)
the wholesale for new 2002 4wd L was 19200, the sticker was 25700, so it was great deal.

Why Boch, because the want to be number 1 in the country, so they give up most of cars for wholesale price. Go only during the weekend, but you will need to spend at leat awhole week visiting them to talk, drive etc... if you wanna have some trade-in, make your home work with kbb.com and you will get whatever you want. I bought two of my cars down there, but dont take their extnded warranty.

·
Registered
184 Posts
my 2 cents, you wont get better deal for new rav4 than in Boch Toyota in Norwood, MA. I bought mine in feb. 2002 for 5400 off the dealer price! Unbeatable!
As I know
1 goes MSRP.
the wholesale for new 2002 4wd L was 19200, the sticker was 25700, so it was great deal.

Why Boch, because the want to be number 1 in the country, so they give up most of cars for wholesale price. Go only during the weekend, but you will need to spend at leat awhole week visiting them to talk, drive etc... if you wanna have some trade-in, make your home work with kbb.com and you will get wherevr you want.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Becky J. said:
McSwine - Glad to see I'm not the only crazy one! :lol:

Becky
We made an event out of it... I took my 6 yr/old son with me. He had never flown before, so he had a big time. We flew from Little Rock to Atlanta and from there to Baltimore. The salesman met us at the airport, went over the car and we were on our way around noon on Saturday. Stopped that night just outside of Nashville and drove in from there Sunday morning. He did great, but I was glad I took a portable DVD player and a bunch of movies.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I live in Massachusetts, all I had from Boch Toyoya was bad experiences. I bought my Camry there and I would never go back there again. They are a bunch of rip off artist, from the salesman, finance manager, right up to the sales manager. The are a very big dealership so they will sell you a car at wholesale if they are over stock, but they are very hard to work with if you are after a hot car like 06 RAV.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
I pretty sure the dealer net is not $7000 off of list. A base Rav in 2wd is $20905. That means the dealer pays $13905?? How much would Toyota make then?? That would have to mean the car cost about $9000 to make ?? no way

ser02rav4 said:
my 2 cents, you wont get better deal for new RAV4 than in Boch Toyota in Norwood, MA. I bought mine in feb. 2002 for 5400 off the dealer price! Unbeatable!
As I know
1 goes MSRP.

Why Boch, because the want to be number 1 in the country, so they give up most of cars for wholesale price. Go only during the weekend, but you will need to spend at leat awhole week visiting them to talk, drive etc... if you wanna have some trade-in, make your home work with kbb.com and you will get wherevr you want.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Oh man, i agree withn you. My expirience wasnt so great as yours. :lol: I spent almost for 3 weeks trying to get the best deal with my 2002. Especially I hate their GM Jaime McKay, too bad guy.

Al;so I gave ballpack figures as an example, different models have different numbers and I dont know those numbers now except on Honda CRV, because Honda and Toyota stay next to each one.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm here in Texas!

Wow, a 2 page thread! I think that is a first for a topic I started. However, it doesn't look like the half-cross country trip is in the cards because Kristi at Basil Toyota came through for me. Supposed to have an Everglade Green with leather coming in late next week! Gave her my deposit over the phone today. Still a bit of a roadtrip from Buffalo/Niagra falls region to central NJ, but the way I figure it, the 7 hour drive or so is a good way to get a feel for the car and much more doable than the 1600 mile trip from Texas. Next steps, airline ticket, pack the sirius radio and iPod with roadtrip music and round-up a friend with a nack for conversation!

·
Registered
986 Posts
Ernie Boch Jr. is a legend around these parts, and not really in a good way. He reminds me of Crazy Eddy from back in the day.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If your in central Jersey I would recommend James Toyota in Flemington. They were able to special order me a V6 sport with JBL and Side airbags, something that wasn't suppose to be made in this area. Even got it in Barcelona Red 8)

It's due in sometime around the 15th, which was about 5 weeks after I ordered it. I guess problems could still come about, but I would still give them a call. Talk to Brian Buckly, he's the salesman who helped me. And no, I don't get any commission/kickback on this.

I wouldn't recommend drive from Texas to NJ. Desipte the fourtune in gas, it's one Hell of a boring drive. My family forced my brother and me on three 'vacations' from Jersey to central Texas in my youth. Complete tourture!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts