Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what Toyota will do with the 2019 and 2020 RAV 4 Hybrid cars they are buying back. Will they fix them and then sell them as used?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Mine was marked to go to auction. I wonder how much it would sell for.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
We just bought our 2020 XSE. What's this buyback stuff about?
When you get sick and tired of your broken ride you just tell Toyota to buy it back or else...

·
Registered
53 Posts
All these discussions about the dang gas tank "issue" is really making me hesitate to buy the new 2020 XSE I've got a downpayment on.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All these discussions about the dang gas tank "issue" is really making me hesitate to buy the new 2020 XSE I've got a downpayment on.
The gas tank issue is an inconvenience But overall does not affect the performance of the car. Toyota has acknowledged that it is a problem and will eventually come up with a fix. Frankly, I can’t find a car that I like Other than this one so I’m holding out that Toyota will find a fix for the 2021 model.

One could look at the CRV hybrid but then There’s still the issue of it having that little turbo motor with no history. Honda’s experience with hybrid is not as vast as Toyota’s. I did consider buying an Acura RDX but it is bigger than the RAV4 And most people complain on the forums that the gas mileage is awful.

Due to the pandemic, I’m not driving very much so will hold out a few more months given my present Toyota RAV4 has 208,000+ miles.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just getting broken in. Its worth nothing to anyone else - drive it until it dies.
It is still driving okay but it is time for a new car with all the safety features and tech. I'll sell it hopefully to someone looking for a spare vehicle / SUV to run errands. We'll see....

·
Super Moderator
9,972 Posts
We just bought our 2020 XSE. What's this buyback stuff about?
Since you've only been here a few days you've missed nearly 6000 posts on the gas tank filling issue. 5100+ on them are here: Have you had trouble filling your hybrid gas tank?
They range from so much frustration for not getting anywhere near the "promised" 600 miles per tank that they pursue getting a buyback, to those who with some patience on refueling are getting close to 600 miles. As someone mentioned the vast majority of owners likely just put gas in as needed and drive with little concern for such minutia as when they'll be doing it again.

·
Registered
2919 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package built June 20
1,032 Posts
The gas tank issue is an inconvenience But overall does not affect the performance of the car. Toyota has acknowledged that it is a problem and will eventually come up with a fix. Frankly, I can’t find a car that I like Other than this one so I’m holding out that Toyota will find a fix for the 2021 model.

One could look at the CRV hybrid but then There’s still the issue of it having that little turbo motor with no history. Honda’s experience with hybrid is not as vast as Toyota’s. I did consider buying an Acura RDX but it is bigger than the RAV4 And most people complain on the forums that the gas mileage is awful.

Due to the pandemic, I’m not driving very much so will hold out a few more months given my present Toyota RAV4 has 208,000+ miles.
Wander over to a Honda focused web site and look for the phrase "oil dillution". If you want 10-15% gas in you oil lubricating those bearings, as opposed to having to fill up one extra click, your choice.

At some unknown yet point, Rav4h will start to be produced with the new sensor and gas tank they have already said they are going to retrofit. So the twin problems of tank fills and DTE should go away for current buyers and current owners. It may already be happening for new owners and we don't know about the Rav4 plug-ins yet, not enough reports from owners.

·
Registered
836 Posts
One could look at the CRV hybrid but then There’s still the issue of it having that little turbo motor with no history. Honda’s experience with hybrid is not as vast as Toyota’s.
Not to mention that the CRV-H has no spare tire. This is a deal breaker for many of us that take the road less travelled.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Back to my original post - So - what do you think Toyota does with those cars they buy back? Would they possibly strip them down and re-build, sell all at auction?

·
Registered
257 Posts
You might want to wait for the 2021 model to stand a maximum chance to avoid the gas Tank Isuue.
There was a Rumor that builds after April had the fix but it may just be a Rumor.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Back to my original post - So - what do you think Toyota does with those cars they buy back? Would they possibly strip them down and re-build, sell all at auction?
They are bought back versus allowing the title to be marked under Lemon Law. That allows them to do anything they want with it including selling it to someone else "as is".

I highly doubt they would refurb any of them. They might sample a couple but I would be willing to bet they just clean it up spiffy and sell it somewhere else. Thats my .02 based on no facts what-so-ever.

·
Registered
735 Posts
There typically sold at auction - as mentioned above. They are usually not marked as anything other than used - depending on the state and there lemon laws requirements. The vehicle would have the balance of the factory warranty typically - there generally not sold as is.

It can be a good or bad deal. For example, if the only reason for the buy back was the gas tank issue on a Rav4 hybrid, then your buying a used car that has the same problem every other Rav4 hybrid has. However as with all things an auction car is always a gamble. Google "buying a buy back car". There are many articles.

·
Registered
735 Posts
It is still driving okay but it is time for a new car with all the safety features and tech. I'll sell it hopefully to someone looking for a spare vehicle / SUV to run errands. We'll see....
Good for you. The last time I sold a working car I put it on craigslist, listed every issue I knew about, and stated I would only sell to an individual not a dealer so bring a recent pay stub with your name on it. Got a few nasty texts telling me I had no right to dictate who buys my car, but ended up selling it to a guy for his son. He came with his son - who was still in high school but brought a recent pay stub at a fast food joint. It was a solid vehicle with mostly cosmetic and age issues - so I was happy it went to someone who needed it. I obviously was selling it cheap based on the number of inquiries I got - it was gone in hours.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Among those 6000 posts about filling the tank are some from people who don’t have the problem. There are always a higher percentage of people discussing what they don’t like vs what performs as expected.

·
Super Moderator
9,972 Posts
Among those 6000 posts about filling the tank are some from people who don’t have the problem.
Correct. Or they don't consider "the problem" a Problem.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts