Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the EPA standards the 2006 RAV4 should get practically the SAME mileage from the 4 and 6 cylinder models (21-23 dity/28 highway).
I know the EPA estimates are being revamped, but do these numbers seem right? If the 4 and 6 get the same highway mileage(which is most of my driving) what would be the advantage/disadvantage of the 4 over the 6 cylinder? I test drove a 6 and it seemed almost too powerful, but I'm used to driving a 4 cylinder Honda.

·
Registered
656 Posts
The 6 has a 5 speed while the 4 just a 4 speed transmission. Thats why the mileage is so similar. I agree that the 6 is almost to much power for the RAV4 but man is it nice. I like being able to punch it at 60 and get around someone in just a split second. Even driving at 75 you feel this baby is just idling.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's no such thing as too much power.

You start by being amazed, then adjust, then become used to it, then want more...

:D

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It made absolutely no sense to me to get a 4 cylinder when I could have 269 horspower and almost the same fuel mileage. May be a good reason for some people to go with the 4 cyl, but for me it was the easiest decision I have ever made. Wife told me last week that the first tank(second fillup) averaged a bit over 26mpg.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
What is the advantage/disadvantage of the I4 vs V6. For me, it was the price and it is my wife's car. She doesnt drive fast, no need for a V6. If money is not a issue and you like to drive fast, then the V6 is for you.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The G Man said:
What is the advantage/disadvantage of the I4 vs V6. For me, it was the price and it is my wife's car. She doesnt drive fast, no need for a V6. If money is not a issue and you like to drive fast, then the V6 is for you.

I4 Disadvantages
- Less Power
I4 Advantages
- Less costly to buy... and possibly to maintain over the long haul

V6 Disadvantages
- A little more costly to buy
V6 Advantages
- Turns less RPM per MPH...so it SHOULD last longer.
- Lots of passing power.....tons more power in general
- MPG nearly the same as the I4
- Could tow something if you needed to

Again, just my opinions...nothing more. I did not even drive a 4 cylinder model so I have no other comparisons to offer.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You can do what I am planning. I got the I4 for my wife, and am planning to get an 07 V6 for myself sometime next year.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Depends on your needs..

If you need to tow something you need the V6

If you are doing mostly highway driving the 5th gear on the V6 is an advantage

If you just do stop and go and short trips the I4 will do and get better mileage.

If you add highway miles to the V6 and let the 5th gear loose you will improve MPG greatly.

From an earlier post of mine..

Opinion here but it looks like the I4 will have better MPG for the urban stop and go commute and the V6 will catch up on the highway and benefit from the awsome 5th gear ratio.

4-speed ECT automatic (2WD/4WD)
1st 3.943/3.938
2nd 2.197/2.194
3rd 1.413/1.411
4th 1.020/1.019
Reverse 3.145/3.141
Differential 2.923/3.080

5-speed ECT automatic (2WD/4WD)
1st 4.235/4.235
2nd 2.360/2.360
3rd 1.517/1.517
4th 1.047/1.047
5th 0.756/0.756
Reverse 3.378/3.378
Differential 3.080/3.080

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
OCInsomniac said:
SW -

Doesn't it seem we just did this thread recently for the umpteenth time??!! :roll: :lol:

OC
Guess that elevates us to Senior Old Farts on this forum..

Got to admit this is a more user friendly group (and helpful :thumbs_up: )

Haven't seen the typical "Read the F'n Manual" or "Do a Search"

coming from the "Oracles of Wisdom" here :mrgreen:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Ok folks, here's the proof, which should put all your questions to rest about weather you should get the I4 or the V6. Just today about five hours ago as a matter of fact. I was pulling out into a long straight away, a hulking shinny new Tundra, bright blue w/ at least 20" chrome wheels, huge chrome brush guard, I'm sure a V8 too, was bearing down in the right lane. I pulled out and excelerated so as not to have his brush guard up my ass. He sees this whimpy RAV4 excellerates and attempts pass in the left lane (I'm eyeballs to his door handles) No doubt he wanted to blow me away, Cuz I pulled in front of him w/ aleast 20 car lengths of road between us. Side by side now, I punched it, folks that V6 leaped into action! I blew him away. :shock: About 10 car lengths further I pulled into the left lane, he pulls in to the right we meet at a traffic light about five miles down the road. Yup he gave the bird. Just blew him a kiss. He turned right and I went on my way. Would not have noramally behaved in such a manner but just landed a very lucrative contract :D and felt a little cocky. 8)

·
Registered
394 Posts
inlets said:
and felt a little cocky. 8)
Since obtaining my V6 11 days ago, I've had that same cocky feeling at least once/day. :D

I'm gonna love it when I have my next encounter with "Mustang Guy." In the past, I've offered no challenge. Needless to say, it'll be quite different now.

My best friend rode with me last night for the first time. He said "You're gonna get a lot of tickets in this thing."

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
inlets said:
About 10 car lengths further I pulled into the left lane, he pulls in to the right we meet at a traffic light about five miles down the road. Yup he gave the bird. Just blew him a kiss.
In my part of the world you would be looking at the barrel of a hand gun and your car would have been shot full of holes.

Lot of Road Rage happening..Unless you like marble it's not worth a tombstone.

·
Registered
379 Posts
In my part of the world you would be looking at the barrel of a hand gun and your car would have been shot full of holes.
See that's the trouble, when there's people like you out there. I had more than enough space to get into the lane and accelerate. The Tundra boy like you, was pissed because someone had the GALL to pull out in traffic when he was on the road. The nerve! There's a new mental defect for you guys it's called IED intermittant explosive disorder get checked buddy before you hurt someone :x

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
inlets said:
See that's the trouble, when there's people like you out there. I had more than enough space to get into the lane and accelerate. The Tundra boy like you, was pissed because someone had the GALL to pull out in traffic when he was on the road. The nerve! There's a new mental defect for you guys it's called IED intermittant explosive disorder get checked buddy before you hurt someone :x
WHOA there Inlets...

Before you start labeling people "mental defects" you need to look in the mirror.

People with your driving attitude usually end up on the nightly news in a body bag.

Grow up and drive like an adult

·
Registered
379 Posts
WHOA there Inlets

Do tell Buddy, in you miniscul mind how did I not drive like an adult? At no time did Tundra boy have to perform any accident avoidence actions. He didn't even have to take his foot off the gas just maintain his present speed, he got up alongside of me truck rumbling just couldn't wait to pass me, w/ his hulking shinny new truck. I did the accident avoidence manuver, I put it to rest. I got out of way.

P.S. I'll match my driving record w/ yours anytime. Licensed 38 years, not so much as a parking ticket. Ever! What's yours?

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
on topic ... it depends on your needs...what is the diff in price between the V6 and I4 ... around 2k I'm guessing? I bought the '06 RAV4 because of the size and the V6

btw ... the 6 kicks! :twisted:

1 - 20 of 77 Posts