Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my Rav4Hybrid Limited since the middle of October. It came with the "premium JBL audio/navigation system" installed. Although I got an exceptional deal,(if true car and their ilk are to be believed) I would have negotiated even harder had I experienced the audio and Navigation before hand.

In my research trying to find ways to solve the system's inadequacies, I have found the same complaints (Abysmal voice commands, awful multistep UI, terrible navigation, reboots, no bass response) echoed on forums for every recent Toyota model where this system is offered. I suggest, anyone looking to purchase a new Toyota arm themselves with threads and comments regarding this. Refuse to pay for it.

I have pretty much abandoned the navigation and voice commands. (even after voice training) However, I am going to try and document my experiences. Time permitting, I will attempt to use the system, note the erroneous response, and post the list here, on my social media and/or on Toyota' FB page. Example

"Call Kim Rochenko"
"Calling Eric Tiffenbach"

Seriously?

As for Navigation. Often it says to drive to the beginning of the calculated route. I am in a major city. Many times that beginning is blocks away and roads to it are one way or otherwise problematic. Google understands my voice commands 99% of the time, and routes from my immediate location. When free phone maps or just reading road signs are more accurate. Refuse to pay.

Others have noted multiple reboots of the system while driving. In my 2 months of ownership I had it happen twice. Is that acceptable? What is the rate vs other manufacturers?

I understand for many this is not important to them. They may not need hands free navigation/phone usage as much as I do. In addition, I am happy with the vehicle otherwise, but Toyota's inaction on this has soured me on the brand.

Perhaps those of us who have the system could assemble a repository here of failed attempts to use it? Maybe if a large enough group makes it a point of derogatory comedy, Toyota may have to take it seriously. It doesn't help us, but future buyers may benefit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
With navigation available on almost every smart phone out there I can't understand why anyone would pay the extra $2-3K for it....I personally use Waze for my commute to work and when I'm going somewhere for the first time...works like a charm and informs me of accidents ahead of time and alternate routes to take....as for the sound system you can also get such a better deal from 3rd party sellers (BestBuy, Crutchfield, local sound system installers, etc.,) than you would from the dealer....but to each their own I guess if you got the money to spend on those inferior systems......

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have my Rav4Hybrid Limited since the middle of October. It came with the "premium JBL audio/navigation system" installed. Although I got an exceptional deal,(if true car and their ilk are to be believed) I would have negotiated even harder had I experienced the audio and Navigation before hand.

In my research trying to find ways to solve the system's inadequacies, I have found the same complaints (Abysmal voice commands, awful multistep UI, terrible navigation, reboots, no bass response) echoed on forums for every recent Toyota model where this system is offered. I suggest, anyone looking to purchase a new Toyota arm themselves with threads and comments regarding this. Refuse to pay for it.

I have pretty much abandoned the navigation and voice commands. (even after voice training) However, I am going to try and document my experiences. Time permitting, I will attempt to use the system, note the erroneous response, and post the list here, on my social media and/or on Toyota' FB page. Example

"Call Kim Rochenko"

Seriously?

As for Navigation. Often it says to drive to the beginning of the calculated route. I am in a major city. Many times that beginning is blocks away and roads to it are one way or otherwise problematic. Google understands my voice commands 99% of the time, and routes from my immediate location. When free phone maps or just reading road signs are more accurate. Refuse to pay.

Others have noted multiple reboots of the system while driving. In my 2 months of ownership I had it happen twice. Is that acceptable? What is the rate vs other manufacturers?

I understand for many this is not important to them. They may not need hands free navigation/phone usage as much as I do. In addition, I am happy with the vehicle otherwise, but Toyota's inaction on this has soured me on the brand.

Perhaps we should make a repository here for other's examples of failed attempts to use the system?

Have you tried the voice training? Mine worked better after that. I also found it useful to save destinations in the Entune app to plan my routes from my phone before getting into the car. Just trying to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you tried the voice training? Mine worked better after that. I also found it useful to save destinations in the Entune app to plan my routes from my phone before getting into the car. Just trying to help.

See highlighted in original post.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok sorry about that.

Not a problem. You're trying to help.

It got me thinking though. As I documented, I've had two reboots while driving. I wonder if reboots restore defaults and thereby wipe any previous voice training. I'll try voice training again and see if it improves.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts

"Call Kim Rochenko"

Seriously?

Perhaps those of us who have the system could assemble a repository here of failed attempts to use it? Maybe if a large enough group makes it a point of derogatory comedy, Toyota may have to take it seriously. It doesn't help us, but future buyers may benefit.
I suggest you take your concerns back to your dealer, to determine if your system is working correctly. I have the same system you have, and have not experienced the problems you listed here.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am having serious withdrawal symptoms considering my previous car was an A4 with the Audi MMI.... thankfully I still have my A6 which has the same MMI system so once in a while I sit in it... you know... for a quick relapse :eek:

·
Registered
291 Posts
With navigation available on almost every smart phone out there I can't understand why anyone would pay the extra $2-3K for it....I personally use Waze for my commute to work and when I'm going somewhere for the first time...works like a charm and informs me of accidents ahead of time and alternate routes to take....as for the sound system you can also get such a better deal from 3rd party sellers (BestBuy, Crutchfield, local sound system installers, etc.,) than you would from the dealer....but to each their own I guess if you got the money to spend on those inferior systems......
Some of us don't have 100% cell coverage, therefore these smart phone navigation are useless :)

·
Registered
449 Posts

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
Yes, and you could buy a much cheaper vehicle also. One of the big problems with 3rd party products, is they don't incorporate all the functions of the current system, which is a real draw back, for most owners.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have issues with the voice control as well.

Navi though i never had an issue with the directions. It typically gives me shorter commute time then my iPhone.

I visited New York city the other week and on the way home, while driving through the city, the entire center console shut off and restarted. I was like WTF?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have issues with the voice control as well.

Navi though i never had an issue with the directions. It typically gives me shorter commute time then my iPhone.

I visited New York city the other week and on the way home, while driving through the city, the entire center console shut off and restarted. I was like WTF?
As I mentioned in the OP, I did the voice training. At the time it seemed to work--if second-rate. When CARZWAUSAU mentioned training again it got me thinking. What if when the system crashes and reboots, it looses the training data. To test, I did the training again, and now it is back to the mediocre level. I can say "Navigate home" and it understands.

Though people are aware of the system crash and reboots, it is not that often. If I was looking left instead of right I would have missed it in my vehicle. But it is a problem, and if my suspicions prove correct, further proof in the crappy system. For even further proof, peruse any forum for Toyota models in which the system is available.

At any rate, I firmly believe Toyota can and will do nothing about this. They would have to admit to selling inferior equipment--at this price point--and recall and replace. I don't think there is precedent for recall on this kind of system as a safety problem. Further, there are enough people who do not use the system, or feel it is good enough for them. This can easily be used to counteract any of our claims.

Attached is the letter I recently wrote to Toyota.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Crappy OEM audio/nav systems are the norm, not the exception. Mediocre is the best anyone can hope for. Life's too short to waste time on something like this.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
As I mentioned in the OP, I did the voice training. At the time it seemed to work--if second-rate. When CARZWAUSAU mentioned training again it got me thinking. What if when the system crashes and reboots, it looses the training data. To test, I did the training again, and now it is back to the mediocre level. I can say "Navigate home" and it understands.

Though people are aware of the system crash and reboots, it is not that often. If I was looking left instead of right I would have missed it in my vehicle. But it is a problem, and if my suspicions prove correct, further proof in the crappy system. For even further proof, peruse any forum for Toyota models in which the system is available.

At any rate, I firmly believe Toyota can and will do nothing about this. They would have to admit to selling inferior equipment--at this price point--and recall and replace. I don't think there is precedent for recall on this kind of system as a safety problem. Further, there are enough people who do not use the system, or feel it is good enough for them. This can easily be used to counteract any of our claims.

Attached is the letter I recently wrote to Toyota.
Kaiso - Toyota replaced my head/screen, when it quit playing HD radio, and was rebooting intermittently, several months ago. This is a new vehicle, and they know there have been issues with this. I would definitely take it in, and request repair (which is replacement), for a part like this.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Crappy OEM audio/nav systems are the norm, not the exception. Mediocre is the best anyone can hope for. Life's too short to waste time on something like this.

Not always. When customers are paying for the premium experience audio / navigation they deserve better. I thought the audio nav will be much better in the upgraded JBL package but it was quite a disappointment. I still bought the car because of other factors and urgency and don't regret it but feel we deserve better.

The nav has no knob to move the maps around and the touch screen to do that and zoom in and out, is just glitchy and frustrating.

I really miss the ELS audio system on my previous car, 04 Acura TL. I am left wondering how a 10+ year newer vehicle with supposedly premium audio is just so....mediocre.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kaiso - Toyota replaced my head/screen, when it quit playing HD radio, and was rebooting intermittently, several months ago. This is a new vehicle, and they know there have been issues with this. I would definitely take it in, and request repair (which is replacement), for a part like this.
Thanks for the info and I'm glad to hear you got a replacement. However, you had a verifiable broken system.(inability to play from a source)

I have no verifiable defects:

The poor/erratic directions are sporadic. I can't prove them unless I could have recorded the event of the route sending me in wrong directions. Fortunately, google was correct.

The inferior sound is defined by my ears and comparison to other in-class auto "premium" systems. All the complaints I've found on this state that Toyota's response is that the system "is working as designed." The system is woely inadequate for the label "premium", hence, my suggestion it be used to lower price at purchase.

Reboots are also sporadic, and once rebooted there is no obvious evidence of the failure. The system is working.

If I am correct that reboots cause a loss voice training data, Toyota must already know this. At any case, retraining improves the voice actions. (Still poor) So now it is again about MY standards of voice recognition quality vs what Toyota supplied. The 99% accuracy of my phone vs below 50% of the Toyota, is irrelevant. Toyota supplied a product, and I bought it.

I am convinced my system is not defective, just inferior poor design compared to what is otherwise available. (Again, the complaints are common across Toyota models where it is is offered.)

I started this thread just so those considering buying the vehicle would have this information when making their decision. I visited this site for lots of pre-purchase information. And was thankful for what I learned. Unfortunately, I did not research Entune or the system. My error. I was unprepared for this one category of weakness.

Good luck to all.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
There's a TSB update to the earlier update available thru the dealer that is supposed to address a laundry list of issues, I just posted it this am, see the 4.4 TSB section.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 RAV4 XLE Hybrid with Navigation. I have been through a total replacement of 2 Head Units and the system still does not work perfectly. The system still randomly reboots and freezes occasionally. The software update referenced in the TSB has been installed. I am feeling your pain.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts