Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in Washington and if I try to "build" a Prime on the Toyota site, it won't let me because of "extremely limited" availability. I suppose this means they are limiting availability to others states and/or areas. Because of how WA follows CA emissions standards, I would have thought they would be available here. So if I can't get one from a local dealer, I suppose I could try buying out of an area where they ARE available.

This seems like the situation for the "new" Hybrids back in 2019. We had to wait about 3 months for our 2019 Hybrid Limited which we finally snagged in June. We love our Hybrid, but last week an idiot hit my wife and caused significant damage involving the rear wheel, suspension and possibly that drive motor. We're still waiting to find out if it is repairable or will be totaled out.

If we have to replace our Hybrid, I like the idea of the Prime. But it sucks that is seems like it won't be something we can just go buy when we want one. I hate this situation.

I did put in a Bay Area CA zip and found some "inventory" of Prime XSEs, but I know that doesn't necessarily mean I can call, buy it and fly down.

So if I'm buying remotely, where is the best area to get a Prime?

Rob

·
Registered
586 Posts
You cannot build one in a state where they are available either, so don't feel bad. That is, you can "build" the car, but you cannot order it, and if you check inventory, it lists everything for about 100 miles and gives you the name of your local dealer. Who, in my case, has exactly one car. Not the 26 or so listed on the toyota website. Purchasing a RAV4 Prime is a battle. If you are sure you want the car, your best bet is probably to buy one online, sight unseen, they fly/drive to it and bring it home. From what I read on here, people are buying this for MSRP in New England, but I also know that some dealers refuse to sell out of state. And plenty of dealer in Massachusetts are asking for more that MSRP. Maybe show up, with cash, at a dealer who has what you want on March 31st? (end of the quarter)

·
Registered
91 Posts
My Rav4 hybrid got rear ended and junked, I also wanted a prime but couldn't wait, went with an 18 Volvo S90 T8 with 20,000 miles, when the weather turned cold my mpg's started to drop but I was at 94.3mpg for the prior 7 days and 43.4 mpg for the 25,000 miles on it and was very satisfied, I still want a prime but am ok waiting for the end of the summer or so

·
Registered
37 Posts
I live in Spokane, and drove down yesterday to pick up a Prime in Oregon (Hermiston). I was on their waiting list for several months. I suspect if you are willing to pay a premium over MSRP you might find one in CA, but if you want to pay a reasonable price you have to get on a list and wait. There are some dealers, such as the one in Beaverton, that don't do waiting lists. If you keep checking with them daily, you might luck out and get one.

·
Registered
72 Posts
<snip>
From what I read on here, people are buying this for MSRP in New England, but I also know that some dealers refuse to sell out of state. And plenty of dealer in Massachusetts are asking for more that MSRP.
Toyota corporate, in its infinite wisdom, made NONE available in my home state NH supposedly because looser emission standards in NH.
I put myself on a waiting list with a small down payment and minimal requirements (SE, no options) with 2 dealers in VT in December 2020. Last Friday we took delivery (at home! Yeah!) after 6 weeks or so.
Both dealers indicated having one for me on the some day. #1 (Faith's) came out at a final 40,300 #2 (White River) was 39,999 with no room for negotiation as they have folks waiting. As I was about to go with #2 for slightly preferred color and price #1 came back asking what it would take. I bought it for 39,500 delivered at home and feel good about that.
I also was by contacted dealers in MA (following KBB price request on the web).
Wellesley supposedly has me on the waiting list - I should Email and cancel.
Woburn told me they have one available right now... for $5000 over MSRP. No thanks.

Hein.

·
Registered
2021 Prime XSE
14 Posts
I can't speak for the best area to buy a R4P, but I am in Washington state too and found a couple of XSE's in Los Angeles. I flew down last Wednesday to purchase and drive mine back. I called the dealer and they said they would hold one for me. Just to be sure I sent them my flight details to let them know I was serious and would show up to take delivery. (I did pay over MSRP because I really didn't want to be on a waiting list).

The whole process was smooth, except for the title. I am working with WADOL now to figure out how to register the car in this state. Seems like Toyota might have registered the car in CA, so there is some gymnastics to get it registered in WA. Doesn't seem like a big deal, but already made one trip to the DOL and need to make another.

Finally, be on the lookout for Use Tax (basically sales tax). IANAL but looks like you don't pay Use Tax if you buy in CA, but will pay if you buy in OR.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the thoughts so far.

@David34...did you pay CA sales tax in CA? I don't see any way the WA would let you off without paying sales or use tax on a new vehicle bought out of state. You typically pay that when you register the vehicle. I bought my Camaro in Idaho (Dave Smith Motors) and they estimated the sales tax due to WA with the Registration and muffed it, so I had to send a couple hundred dollars more for that after the fact. But they never registered it in Idaho...they knew how to sell to WA as they probably sell more cars to WA residents and to ID ones.

rob

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Also, USAA is my insurance company and they also have a car buying service. IF the car it totaled, I will see if they can pursue the Prime for me.

EDIT: crap...just found out they ended that service in September.

rob

·
Registered
2021 Prime XSE
14 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts so far.

@David34...did you pay CA sales tax in CA? I don't see any way the WA would let you off without paying sales or use tax on a new vehicle bought out of state. You typically pay that when you register the vehicle. I bought my Camaro in Idaho (Dave Smith Motors) and they estimated the sales tax due to WA with the Registration and muffed it, so I had to send a couple hundred dollars more for that after the fact. But they never registered it in Idaho...they knew how to sell to WA as they probably sell more cars to WA residents and to ID ones.

rob
Hi, yes, I paid CA sales tax ~9.5%. My understanding of the WA use tax is that since I paid >~6.5%, I don't owe any tax to WA state. If I had paid <~6.5%, then I would owe the difference. Plus I read that WA state has an EV tax (to offset the tax lost by not buying gas :) ) ; not sure if the R4P is hit by that tax. Anyway, I will know for sure in next day or two when I get the title/registration filed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I put a $500 deposit down back in July and picked up my car last week at Longo Toyota. Initially they told me the wait was over a year but luckily it wasn't. It was the best car buying experience I've ever had. They even gave me a $1500 manufacturer clean fuel rebate! The only downside is the LA county 10.25% tax rate 😭. You should give them a call to see if they could help you out.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I live in Pa. and NONE are available ( or will be this year) in this state.....so, I'm "on the order list" with a dealer in Maryland, a state getting allocations, and I'm #8 on the list. With a $500 deposit, it is considered an "order" and they said they would expect to be able to fill it within 4 to 6 months.......maybe less time than that depending upon how production and shipping, and those ahead of me, continue to evolve.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I live in Pa. and NONE are available ( or will be this year) in this state.....so, I'm "on the order list" with a dealer in Maryland, a state getting allocations, and I'm #8 on the list. With a $500 deposit, it is considered an "order" and they said they would expect to be able to fill it within 4 to 6 months.......maybe less time than that depending upon how production and shipping, and those ahead of me, continue to evolve.
Any info coming out on projected first and second quarter deliveries to the U.S. for 2021?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have reached out to the dealer where I bought my RAV to ask about getting a Prime, but still waiting for a reply.

I also got a repair update today on my RAV. Damage is up over $12k now, but still is repairable. So far, the trailing arm mount and rail need to be replaced as well as some structure at the rear of the wheel well. Nothing apparently damaged with the strut mount or Hybrid motor/system. Repair TIME estimate is about a month!

Rob

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in Spokane, and drove down yesterday to pick up a Prime in Oregon (Hermiston). I was on their waiting list for several months. I suspect if you are willing to pay a premium over MSRP you might find one in CA, but if you want to pay a reasonable price you have to get on a list and wait. There are some dealers, such as the one in Beaverton, that don't do waiting lists. If you keep checking with them daily, you might luck out and get one.
Were you able to claim a refund for the WA sales tax exemption? The sale price is below $45k but they added extra (markup) items to push the price over $45k.

·
Registered
520 Posts
If th
I can't speak for the best area to buy a R4P, but I am in Washington state too and found a couple of XSE's in Los Angeles. I flew down last Wednesday to purchase and drive mine back. I called the dealer and they said they would hold one for me. Just to be sure I sent them my flight details to let them know I was serious and would show up to take delivery. (I did pay over MSRP because I really didn't want to be on a waiting list).

The whole process was smooth, except for the title. I am working with WADOL now to figure out how to register the car in this state. Seems like Toyota might have registered the car in CA, so there is some gymnastics to get it registered in WA. Doesn't seem like a big deal, but already made one trip to the DOL and need to make another.

Finally, be on the lookout for Use Tax (basically sales tax). IANAL but looks like you don't pay Use Tax if you buy in CA, but will pay if you buy in OR.
If the car was registered before, wouldn't that pose an issue with the federal tax refund?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I found the east coast to have much better prices than the west coast which which were quoting me $7K or more over M.S.R.P. Just purchased an SE for list + $499 'processing fee'. We flew into Baltimore then took a city bus to a mile from the dealership and they picked us up. I wonder how many other Primes are owned in Oklahoma. Was pleased to find my electric company offers a 5 cents/KWH between 9pm and 5am for EV owners.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Toyota corporate, in its infinite wisdom, made NONE available in my home state NH supposedly because looser emission standards in NH.
I put myself on a waiting list with a small down payment and minimal requirements (SE, no options) with 2 dealers in VT in December 2020. Last Friday we took delivery (at home! Yeah!) after 6 weeks or so.
Both dealers indicated having one for me on the some day. #1 (Faith's) came out at a final 40,300 #2 (White River) was 39,999 with no room for negotiation as they have folks waiting. As I was about to go with #2 for slightly preferred color and price #1 came back asking what it would take. I bought it for 39,500 delivered at home and feel good about that.
I also was by contacted dealers in MA (following KBB price request on the web).
Wellesley supposedly has me on the waiting list - I should Email and cancel.
Woburn told me they have one available right now... for $5000 over MSRP. No thanks.

Hein.
I am in portsmouth nh, and two weeks ago I needed a quick replacement for my 2006 bmw 330xi that was blue booked at $3500 and needed twice that in repairs . After making repairs right along .
Toyota of portsmouth said look in November for January .
Atlantic toyota in Lynn said $2000 over Msrp on two xse due In the next day . Planned to drive the bmw down at 11 the next day .

Happened to do a search on the New England toyota dealers site and saw a prime xse was due in at McGee in epping that day .
Called them, they wanted a $2500 non refundable deposit to hold the car. Instead, I drove right down. The car was right off the truck, not even washed .

had my wife drive down after work for a test drive. Bought it and drove it home . Talked them down from $5000 over sticker to $3500, then got $500 off the trailer hitch and $500 more for my sad bmw. $2500 over sticker I can live with.

the $2000 over sticker at Atlantic was a bargaining chip I used. Told them I had an appointment at Atlantic at 11am the next day to look at the two they had .

mcgee later told me another potential buyer arrived right after I drove the xse prime off the lot.

At toyota of portsmouth they told
Me that since nh is not on the list , as you said, no allocation. They said nh dealers are buying the r4ps from dealers in other states. McGee said they get
One r4p a month.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts