Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am thinking in buying my first RAV4, could please somebody give me some advices? My budget is around 15.000 Euro, should I go for automatic transmission or manual, here I am thinking about maintenance cost of automatic transmission. If you have a RAV4 2015 could you please tell me if you had any issues with the car, with the automatic transmission ? Or any other issues. Or should I go for a Tiguan 2015? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I would get manual if it's possible in your region.

The automatic transmission has a torque converter issue.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have a 2015 XLE AWD (US model). Bought it at 16k mi for $22k (US) out the door. It's now got almost 70k on it and have had no issues with it. We use it for camping, pulling a 8'x8' trailer, kayaks, etc. I would say, I'm a bit harsh on vehicles but this has performed beyond expectations!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
If you can stretch it to get a 2016 there would be some benefits as they did a mid cycle refresh that year. The suspension has been improved somewhat(4.4 rav4s aren't the best riding vehicles but improved in 2016), facelift on the front and new tail lights. Added some interior features like the sunglass holder, larger touchscreen in the limited(although removal of the CD player), soft touch surfaces replaced hard plastic in places etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you can stretch it to get a 2016 there would be some benefits as they did a mid cycle refresh that year. The suspension has been improved somewhat(4.4 rav4s aren't the best riding vehicles but improved in 2016), facelift on the front and new tail lights. Added some interior features like the sunglass holder, larger touchscreen in the limited(although removal of the CD player), soft touch surfaces replaced hard plastic in places etc.
Thank you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 2015 XLE AWD (US model). Bought it at 16k mi for $22k (US) out the door. It's now got almost 70k on it and have had no issues with it. We use it for camping, pulling a 8'x8' trailer, kayaks, etc. I would say, I'm a bit harsh on vehicles but this has performed beyond expectations!
Thank you

·
Registered
8 Posts
For what my "two cents" is worth...I bought a 2015 this month. I was prompted to do so after many discussions with owners and mechanics. Mine is a Limited AWD Automatic. I have not had it long enough to experience any issues BUT I can tell you that it appears ALL work done on the vehicle was done by a Toyota dealership (even the repair of a damaged outer cover of the driver's side mirror!) And there is nothing to worry me in these years of maintenance records. I hope the RAV4 is as reliable a vehicle as I am led to believe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For what my "two cents" is worth...I bought a 2015 this month. I was prompted to do so after many discussions with owners and mechanics. Mine is a Limited AWD Automatic. I have not had it long enough to experience any issues BUT I can tell you that it appears ALL work done on the vehicle was done by a Toyota dealership (even the repair of a damaged outer cover of the driver's side mirror!) And there is nothing to worry me in these years of maintenance records. I hope the RAV4 is as reliable a vehicle as I am led to believe.
Thank you very much!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I am thinking in buying my first RAV4, could please somebody give me some advices? My budget is around 15.000 Euro, should I go for automatic transmission or manual, here I am thinking about maintenance cost of automatic transmission. If you have a RAV4 2015 could you please tell me if you had any issues with the car, with the automatic transmission ? Or any other issues. Or should I go for a Tiguan 2015? Thank you in advance.
I have been driving a 2014 awd with 83600 km on it and zero problems, great compact suv, transmission problems are being experienced on the new 2019 models 🤓

·
Premium Member
7,355 Posts
I have been driving a 2014 awd with 83600 km on it and zero problems, great compact suv, transmission problems are being experienced on the new 2019 models 🤓
transmission problems are being experienced on the new 2019 models 🤓
That is not true, there have not been any problems other than the low speed shift issues, but that was cured with an ECU software change last year, the 8spAT Aisin transmission has been in many vehicles since 2013 to include the Lexus RX, IMO it's a better transmission than the 6spAT that was in my 15 Ltd Rav4.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Like the guy on YouTube says - have a competent mechanic look it over before you sign on the dotted line regardless of what year/vehicle is. I have a '15 XLE from Japan as well.

·
Registered
415 Posts
In the states, we only get the automatic. My '15 AWD Limited had just over 90,000 miles on the odometer, (145,000 kilometers), when I traded it in on a '18 RAV4 Adventure model. Not a single problem with anything on the car. Transmission was fine. Only reason I traded it in was because I wanted the increased towing capacity of the Adventure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts