Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
381 - 395 of 395 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought the Maxcare warranty through carmax on my 2011 with 78K.. I take it to carmax and theres a $250 deductable, take it to Toyota and its $300.. Seems fairly straight foward from what i read with few exclusions...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Jerry Johnson is tops!

Thank you for this very helpful tip! We have a RAV and have been following these matters for a while. So when we were in the market for a used Prius, we called Jerry and he told us that due to TFS latest policies, he can only sell a TFS Platinum plan for an out of state purchase (he is in KS) for a used Toyota vehicle below 3 years old and less than 36k miles. And of course he gave us a fantastic quote much better than any we could get. With that in mind we cast our net a little wider than usual and landed a good one just 4 months and 4k miles short of the 3 years and 36k miles and we called him back and he gave another discount because we had called him so any times :) and so we did not have to do any negotiation with the Finance guy at the dealership and refused any 'offers' for a third party warranty.

Bottom line: Call Jerry Johnson at Midwest Toyota before you being shopping for a used Toyota!

The cost of any repairs on a hybrid (now we also have a RAV4 Hybrid) is so high that a single issue will pay us back the cost of the warranty.

Thanks Jerry. :smile

The Toyota Extra Care Vehicle Service Agreement (extended warranty) can be very valuable to have when something unexpectedly breaks on your RAV4 past the 3 year/36,000 mile factory warranty. Some say that Toyota builds some of the most reliable vehicles on the road today, and the extended warranty is a waste of money. However, today's Toyotas are far more complex than those from just 10-12 years ago.

The additional safety systems, ECU's and electronics can be very expensive to troubleshoot and repair. For example, what if the power window goes out on the driver's door? This is a complex system of a motor, ECU, switches, and jam protection circuitry. You might be surprised to find out the parts and labor to replace just the motor could very well exceed the cost of the extended warranty. Another example would be the Limited's Auto Climate Control. This is more than just an A/C and heater--it has ambient temperature sensors, a sun sensor, servo motors to control and regulate airflow separately for both driver and passenger, all controlled by a small computer. This is not something your average mechanic can repair--many of these systems need diagnostic equipment and training that only the dealerships have.

Most of us were offered the Toyota VSA by the salesperson when we were buying our new RAV4. They usually save the pitch until the very end of the deal when you're about to sign on the dotted line. Most buyers balk at the price of the VSA, most of the time it's anywhere from 1200 to 2000 dollars! The profit margin on these warranties is HUGE. They could lower their prices by 50% and they would still be making a fair profit. The smart buyers ALWAYS turn down the extended warranty at the dealer. They know that they can always wait and buy the warranty anytime before the 3 year/36,000 mile factory warranty runs out. AND they know they can buy that same Toyota VSA from ANY Toyota dealer. So, why not shop around and buy it from a dealer that offers the best price? Here are the latest prices from Jerry Johnson of Midwest Toyota:

Toyota Extra Care Vehicle Service Agreement, Platinum
No deductible

8yr / 75,000 miles - $659 - The price for this warranty on the Toyota site is $1325 for comparison.

Things included in this coverage are:
*Unlimited towing to nearest Toyota dealership
*Reimbursement up to $50/day for 5 days per occurrence for rental car
*Meal/lodging up to $100/day when over 150 miles from home
*Transferability (with fee) to others if vehicle sold

Jerry Johnson
cell phone (620-664-8844)
[email protected]

Midwest Toyota
1100 East 30th
Hutchinson, KS 67502
(800-530-5789)
Midwest Superstore 866-796-3495 | Lincoln Dealers | Hutchinson, KS

Called Jerry and got the following quotes:
6yr / 75k - $479
7yr / 75k - $559
8yr / 75k - $659
7yr / 100k - $814
8yr / 100k - $944
7yr/ 125k - $1059
8yr / 125K - $1259

But what happens if you already bought the extended warranty from the dealer? Don't worry, you can cancel the warranty by calling Toyota Financial Services and get your money back. You have 60 days to cancel for a full refund, after that there may be a small fee.

There are other dealers, such as Troy Dietch from Greenfield Toyota in the Boston area that offer similar deals. The key thing to remember is this is the same warranty that your dealer sells, and will be honored at any Toyota dealer in the US and Canada. The only difference is the price.

Here are a few threads discussing this same topic:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/72883-extended-warranty-price-update.html

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/85145-warranty-coverage.html

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/83129-huge-thank-you-rav4world-all-forum-members-jerrys-extended-warranty.html

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/88668-toyota-car-extended-warranty.html

·
Registered
24 Posts
Few quick questions:

1. If I purchase a used toyota within the 3 year, 36,000 miles from a NON-TOYOTA Dealership, can I still purchase the VSA from Jerry or any dealership for that matter?

2. If I purchase a used toyota that is say 6 years old, with 60,000 miles, are there any Toyota brand VSAs available? Does this answer differ whether it's from a Toyota dealership or a 3rd party dealership, and do I have to purchase at the same time as purchasing the used vehicle?

3. "5 year/100k" means 5 years from when the vehicle was first purchased, correct? Not 5 years after the 3 year factory warranty expired?

Thanks!

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #384
Few quick questions:

1. If I purchase a used toyota within the 3 year, 36,000 miles from a NON-TOYOTA Dealership, can I still purchase the VSA from Jerry or any dealership for that matter?

2. If I purchase a used toyota that is say 6 years old, with 60,000 miles, are there any Toyota brand VSAs available? Does this answer differ whether it's from a Toyota dealership or a 3rd party dealership, and do I have to purchase at the same time as purchasing the used vehicle?

3. "5 year/100k" means 5 years from when the vehicle was first purchased, correct? Not 5 years after the 3 year factory warranty expired?

Thanks!
1. Yes, absolutely.

2. No. Not that I've ever heard of.

3. Correct. 5 years from the day the vehicle was first put into service.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
There are some 3rd party companies that will sell you a contract after your OEM warranty has expired.
They are not from Toyota, they tend to be expensive, and they typically have all kinda of strings attached, such as all service must be performed at one specific shop, or a specific chain. Since "extended warranties" are not actually "warranties" but rather, "service contracts", they are not bound by the Magnusson-Moss Consumer Protection Act and they can and will void the contract (with no refund) for any violation of the terms.

But you have a Toyota... Even if you buy a 3rd-party contract that covers your 60k car to 120k, the likelihood that you will need major service that would be covered is extremely remote, especially at 120k or less.
The vast majority of Toyota vehicles go through their average service life of 100-200k with nothing more than routine maintenance and maybe a water pump or alternator.
It is extremely rare that you get your money's worth out of an extended warranty for a Toyota.

·
Registered
3 Posts
JuneBug
Just bought my first Rav4 2017 Limited, Toyota certified with 21,800 miles. The Toyota finance guy convinced my to buy 1,900 additional warranty for the electronic parts to be covered for 100,000 miles. Is there a better deal out there? I feel ripped off after reading the forum. Also, the guy didn't say anything about the possibility of canceling it.
RavSusan

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
JuneBug
Just bought my first Rav4 2017 Limited, Toyota certified with 21,800 miles. The Toyota finance guy convinced my to buy 1,900 additional warranty for the electronic parts to be covered for 100,000 miles. Is there a better deal out there? I feel ripped off after reading the forum. Also, the guy didn't say anything about the possibility of canceling it.
RavSusan
In my opinion, yes, you got ripped off. $1900 for just "electronic parts"?
You had better check your state's laws about consumer protections/contract cancellations.

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #388
JuneBug
RavSusan
Yes, you got ripped off. You have 30 days to cancel and get a full refund. Check your inbox for a PM.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Anyone know what the fee is to transfer the warranty to a new owner? I hope the transfer fees are minimal, but you never know with Toyota. Look at the price Toyota charges to update the navigation system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
warranty fee

Hi ALKron

I have sold a Prius/Rav and 4runner with Toyota warranty and no fee was incurred by me or the purchaser.

all the best
robot

·
Registered
4 Posts
Toyota Certified Platinum Vehicle Sevice Agreement

Hi,
I just purchased a 2011 Rav4 Base V6 with 56K miles. It came from the dealer with a 30 day warranty. (I could sleep for 30 days!) The purchase was quite an ordeal since I never experienced buying from a dealer before. After asking, I was offered this warrany for $2100.00. 60k/5year. I would probably take it out to 5 years since my driving is limited. They said that this is a "friends & family" price. Reports are that this is a pretty solid car. Should I make this huge investment?

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Hi,
I just purchased a 2011 Rav4 Base V6 with 56K miles. It came from the dealer with a 30 day warranty. (I could sleep for 30 days!) The purchase was quite an ordeal since I never experienced buying from a dealer before. After asking, I was offered this warrany for $2100.00. 60k/5year. I would probably take it out to 5 years since my driving is limited. They said that this is a "friends & family" price. Reports are that this is a pretty solid car. Should I make this huge investment?
A RAV V6 with 56k miles is barely broken in. I'd stay far away from a $2100 warranty for this car. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Yep.
When we could still get the extended policy by email from Toyota of Shreveport, it was something like $800 or $1200 for 8 year 100k.
The only thing likely to need service on any modern Toyota that would be covered by the EPP would be the water pump and alternator.
Even if both fail, your out of pocket will be less than $1500. Absolutely not worth $2100.
It's not a FordHyundaiKiaChevyCryslerNissanMazda.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A RAV V6 with 56k miles is barely broken in. I'd stay far away from a $2100 warranty for this car. YMMV.
Thank you for your reply! Sounds good. I was wondering what might go wrong on a RAV4 V6 with this history. It came with a heavy hitch, but no telling if it was pulling too much weight... 2 owners both from New England although my mechanic thoought rust was OK.
I think that I made the right purchase!!!

381 - 395 of 395 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
394 Replies
149 Participants
Bestdeal1
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing