Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in buying a RAV4 Third Generation...probably a 2012. Is there anything in particular we should keep an eye out for? I'm not mechanically inclined, but my husband is, so any mechanical issues, etc. that he should look for would be super helpful! Thanks!

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
If you have a specific RAV in mind you can check its service, recall and repair records which have been by Toyota dealers by going to www.toyotaowners.com, registering, and then going to the service page and entering the vehicle's VIN. Apart from that it is worthwhile to check Carfax (VIN required there as well). Also look under the vehicle at the rocker panels and the underside as well for rust, and there should be no leaks (drips on the ground under the RAV). Take a reasonably thorough test drive and test all functions such as the climate and air conditioning controls, the window switches and up-and-down function, radio and if equipped the CD player, etc. Also ask the seller whether they offer a warranty, or possibly also bought an extended warranty from Toyota or otherwise and how long it yet will be in effect. Generally the '12 models seem to have been quite trouble-free.

Happy shopping!

Reactions: Kimo88

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
What Blogson said is right on.

I add that a 2011 Limited V6 model is the best in all features.
Any 2011 V6 model is good, too.

V6!

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
Examine the grill and look for two letters: V6

I drove my SIL's 2017 CRV yesterday. Didn't really want to but she and her husband said, "It has the turbo and it goes pretty good!" So he & I went out for a ride.

I stopped on a straight stretch and floored it expecting something to happen. Nothing much did. It went, but it certainly didn't GO. Couldn't feel anything in the seat. Guess this must be the state of cars these days.
I told him it wouldn't have anything for my Accord and definitely not for her sister's RAV4 (with me driving!).

To be kind because she loves her CRV (and did test drive a RAV4 Hybrid), I simply said, "Guess it depends on what you're used to." --- A VW Diesel wagon in her case.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Examine the grill and look for two letters: V6

I drove my SIL's 2017 CRV yesterday. Didn't really want to but she and her husband said, "It has the turbo and it goes pretty good!" So he & I went out for a ride.

I stopped on a straight stretch and floored it expecting something to happen. Nothing much did. It went, but it certainly didn't GO. Couldn't feel anything in the seat. Guess this must be the state of cars these days.
I told him it wouldn't have anything for my Accord and definitely not for her sister's RAV4 (with me driving!).

To be kind because she loves her CRV (and did test drive a RAV4 Hybrid), I simply said, "Guess it depends on what you're used to." --- A VW Diesel wagon in her case.
So the CR-V 1.5 turbo and CVT maybe aren't as good as the 2010 2.4 and geared 5-speed that my wife's CR-V has? Acceleration with hers is reasonably brisk but not nearly as impressive as is acceleration with my 3.5 V6 RAV . . .

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I am interested in buying a RAV4 Third Generation...probably a 2012. Is there anything in particular we should keep an eye out for? I'm not mechanically inclined, but my husband is, so any mechanical issues, etc. that he should look for would be super helpful! Thanks!
If you are primarily a city driver, looking for the best fuel economy, and not in need of extreme acceleration, also consider getting the 4-cylinder version. Ours gets 24 mpg in town. The 2009-2012 models are all very reliable and your husband will appreciate how easy they are to maintain. If you do choose the 6-cylinder model, keep an ear out for the whining transmission problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts