Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something new tonight. My 2013 RAV LE is in the garage (Next to my wife's RAV) and I already had my briefcase on the passenger seat as I get things ready for work tomorrow. Noticing I had some Halloween candy left over I decided to put a couple things in my brief case. As I put my head in the car (all systems shut down, not driven for 7 or 8 hours) I heard a buzzing/humming almost like a mini computer fan noise. I went around to the driver's side (window was down) and heard it even a bit better. Interior lights were off by that time. Not trusting my hearing 100% I went upstairs and got my wife who has super ears.... she heard it too. I popped the hood, but it was more from the inside. My wife got in the driver seat and closed the door. Still heard it. Interior lights went out. Still heard it. Then it stopped.

Poltergeists the day after Halloween? I think not, but don't have a clue. Any ideas? No phone in the car, no electronics of ours. It seemed more from the drivers side of the dash.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,971 Posts
It's the evaporation system self test. It's buried in your owner's manual somewhere. Perfectly normal.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Yeah, I think the test happens 5 hours after it has been driven. The noise is louder underneath to the rear of the car but it was hard to pinpoint the first time I heard it. I also posted the exact same thread thinking there was something wrong with my rav.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all! I'll check the manual for evap system test. I've had the RAV for 13 months now and this was a first. Talkingdog, I have no idea what a radio headunit is? My indash radio is the base unit that comes with the LE. My RAV was a Hertz rental before I purchased it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Head unit is used all over but in reality it is supposed to be the tuner/cd player/ whatever that hook up to a separate amp/equalizer before heading to the speakers. Just call it the factory radio and everyone knows what it is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts