Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '98 Rav4 L with an exhaust problem. It is pretty normal when it is intitially started, but during acceleration (especially just starting out in the morning) it "buzzes" or "rattles." The closest description I can think of is a moped or a weedeater. I changed the muffler and thought I had it licked - but it still sounded bad. The guy at Meineke told me I did not have any exhaust leaks. So, I am stumped. I am certain it comes from the rear of the car and that it originates at the muffler. IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE THAT CAN HELP ME SOLVE THIS PROBLEM??? It is driving me nuts!
:shock:

Rav4sc

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Great description! Small comfort but my 2000 is the same. After any cold start you get this metallic buzz as you accelerate away from the first couple of stops. It doesn't sound anything like an actual hole in the exhaust system and since it goes away so quickly I've just chalked it up to something that needs to warm up and expand before it stops vibrating like that.

·
Registered
682 Posts
This a common problem with RAV4.1s. Usually its the metal exhaust heat shields that rattle. You'll need a pair of tin snips to get rid of them if the noise is coming from the heat shields.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Likely culprits are the heat shield directly behond the header, there is a part that comes very close to the chassis. Make sure that is not touching the body. The other is the shield on the cat. just rip that sucker off as the 4 bolts holding it on will have likely rusted and/or disintegrated.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your comments. I have not had my Rav4 long. Where are the heat shields located that would most likely cause the rattling. I have poked and prodded most things underneath the Rav and nothing felt loose. Any hints? Thanks for the help!

:D

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I truly appreciate any suggestions. I am trying to get my "Black Beauty" up to snuff. Just finished replacing the timing belt, power steering belt and plugs / wires. I think once I have this annoying rattle taken care of, I will be content - AT LEAST for a little while - I like to tinker 8)

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just banging on it won't reveal the culprit. Get under the car and pull at the cover of the cat, it's a widening of the exhaust just behind the tranny. Pull at the cover to see if it is loose. The other culprit is a bend in the exhaust as it crosses the front crossmember. It is wrapped and then is covered by a 2 piece metal shield. Make sure the bolts are tight and that nothing is hitting the crossmember.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tip. I will definitely look into your suggestion. The shield around the cat. doesn't appear to be loose - just rusted on. Thanks again.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The sheilds don't need to be loose for them to rattle .

If they are to close to the frame ,etc . they can still make contact with parts of the under carriage because the exhaust does wiggle and move when the motor is running , especially on start up .

If the sheild looks to be too close to anything , just bend them out of the way with a pair of pliers .

·
Registered
302 Posts
UPDATE : I was changing my oil tonight .
While I was under the Rav taking out the drain plug
I decided to tug on the front heat shield that has been
vibrating (just like everyone elses :) ) .
The stupid thing just came off the pipe when I pulled
on it .
It was rusted out at both ends .
Now I had a clamp wrapped around the exhaust pipe
holding on to nothing .
I tried to get a set of cutters between the clamp and
pipe to cut it off and it just popped off as well .
It too , was rusted through .

Oh well , quick and easy removal with no more anoying
vibration noises .

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow! It is as if the Rav fixed itself! :D When I have time, I am going to investigate the source of my rattle again. Maybe my Rav is ready to "shed" the heatshield too!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts