Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I go ito install some mud flaps. The car has been parked int eh garage for a couple of hours. Turn the car "on" but do not start the engine. Grab the steering wheel and crank the front wheels to one side so that I can reach the inner fender. Turn the car off and remove the key. A couple fo minutes later there is a buzzing sound in my garage. I check everything and finally figured that it is coming from the car. The buz last for about 5 minutes and stops.

Anyone know what this is?

·
Super Moderator
9,413 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have heard the same thing with mine in the past. I have no idea what it is either but it did make me curious. I figured it was supposed to do it so I didn't look too far into it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
in my previous car, 2000 honda prelude it made a buzzing sound that was totally normal. it was the evap canister purging which is part of the emissions system. it never lasted for 5 minutes though, only like 3-5 seconds at a time intermittently.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Key off and out. maybe not 5 minutes but 3 at the very least. It did seem like it was coming from the rear. pretty faint. Took me while to confirm it was coming from the car. I have heard it before but always thought it was something else in the garage.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Last night I go ito install some mud flaps. The car has been parked int eh garage for a couple of hours. Turn the car "on" but do not start the engine. Grab the steering wheel and crank the front wheels to one side so that I can reach the inner fender. Turn the car off and remove the key. A couple fo minutes later there is a buzzing sound in my garage. I check everything and finally figured that it is coming from the car. The buz last for about 5 minutes and stops.

Anyone know what this is?
I had a buzzing sound one night when driving, and after stopping and shutting engine off the buzzing sound continued, on a Generation1 rav4.
It turned out to be the security system. After re-programming the remote key fob, I diddn't hear the sound again. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have notice sometimes after ignition off quite quiet buzzing sound, like some electric motor.
I have though it comes from heating and a/c unit, like some valve is moving. This could be possible if having automatic a/c.

May be your headlights getting energized?
In Europe legal xenon headlights need automatic height levelling system (which all factory-made have). It could make that kind of sound as the system calibrates itself. But this happens after ignition on no off.

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,513 Posts
This is from my owner's manual:

Approximately five hours after the engine
is turned off, you may hear sound coming
from under the floor around the driver’s
seat for several minutes. This is normal
operation and does not indicate a malfunction.
(See “Leak detection pump” on page
ix.)

Traction control system

A sound may be heard from the engine
compartment for a few seconds when the
engine is started or just after the vehicle
begins to move. This means that the system
is in the self−check mode. This sound
does not indicate a malfunction.

When the anti−lock brake system is activated,
the following conditions may
occur. They do not indicate a malfunction
of the system:
 You may hear the anti−lock brake system
operating and feel the brake pedal
pulsating and the vibrations of the vehicle
body and steering wheel. You
may also hear the motor sound in the
engine compartment even after the vehicle
is stopped.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is a really old thread, but my 2006 did this. I had the car for at least 5 years before I ever heard it. From the 2006 Rav4 manual:

"OPERATION OF INSTRUMENTS AND
CONTROLS"

"Approximately five hours after the engine is turned off, you may hear sound coming
from under the floor around the driver’s seat for several minutes. This is normal
operation and does not indicate a malfunction. (See “Leak detection pump” on page
ix.)"

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Last night I was in the driveway working on my friends car. While on the ground I hear the RAV4 (which is parked nearby) start buzzing. Funny that it is 5 hours after you drive that it happens.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Last night I was in the driveway working on my friends car. While on the ground I hear the RAV4 (which is parked nearby) start buzzing. Funny that it is 5 hours after you drive that it happens.
It waits for the engine to cool down, and if not successful it will try again at ~6 hours, then ~9 hours. Patient thing, ain't it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2019 Rav 4 and the same thing happened, about 5 hours after shut down, I hear a buzzing sound. I started and shut off the Rav. the buzzing noise stopped.
It seemed to come from the rear of the Rav

1 - 15 of 15 Posts