Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While decelerating from approximately 60kms (40mph) to an IDLE position at a red light.

At this point, after approximately 3-5 seconds, there is a buzzing or vibration noise from the automatic transmission selector that kicks in.

Once you accelerate by pushing the gas pedal, the buzzing/vibration goes away.

FYI: the AC is not on or the fan
Others have talked about a vibration under the seat at idle, but mine is the automatic transmission selector.

Does anyone know what this could be??

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also have a buzz sound when sitting at the traffic light but I can't nail it down to where that comes from. I'll pay attention to see if it's also from the auto transmission. Anyways, I've schedule an appointment with the local Toyota deal for them to take a look. And I'll post when I have the result.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is actually the fuel pump according to the dealer. It is on backorder.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So its not just me!!

I actually took mine into the dealer and had a tech go for a drive with me - of course my RAV made me look like a fool. Didn't make a sound.

I've found the noise to be inconsistent, although it seems to happen more often when up to temp.

I've found the location hard to pin down but it sounds to me like it is coming from the rear of the vehicle.

I have the same symptom - I slow down and stop at a light, wait about 2 seconds and it starts up.... sounds like a whine or something. Then, it either goes away (sometimes) or goes away immediately when I press the gas - in drive, not neutral. The noise will remain in neutral as well, but not park. I find as soon as shift to park, the noise will stop.... but will return when I shift back into drive.

Do you guys have similar observations? I will be very interested to hear if it is indeed the fuel pump.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sounds very much like the buzz/whine that I was experiencing. I also notice that it happened more often when the car was warmed up to temperature.

Then, as someone suggested in the thread that it might be from the heat-shield. So, I tried bending the heat-shield to see if it's touching anything. And ever since that, the buzz/whine is gone. It has been gone for 3 days now. If I don't hear it again by Friday, I'm going to cancel my appointment with Toyota.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JGTC-spec said:
Then, as someone suggested in the thread that it might be from the heat-shield. So, I tried bending the heat-shield to see if it's touching anything. And ever since that, the buzz/whine is gone. It has been gone for 3 days now. If I don't hear it again by Friday, I'm going to cancel my appointment with Toyota.
I could see a heat shield causing a rattling sound, but not the sound that I am hearing. Mine sounds like gear whining - and the fact that the noise (for me) goes away when I put it in park kind of backs up that theory. Although, I could see a fuel pump making the noise as well (perhaps something to do with the fuel pickup?).

·
Registered
65 Posts
hey there,

any updates recently about strange sound when at a stop light? like buzzing, whining ,.. just want to know if its normal for the Rav4. you can't hear it ( it'll stop) when you start to accelerate from a stop though. anybody went to the dealer? pls share info.

thanks

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I have a high pitch whining noise that comes on intermittently. I also looked like a fool because it didnt happen when a tech and I drove the car.
But that noise drives me nuts and I can't figure out where it is coming from.
Where is the heat shield?

·
Registered
65 Posts
well, its not just my Rav then who has this weird noise. I guess its normal for this toyota huh?

anyway if anybody has heard anything about this noise from their mechanic. keep us posted.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do not know if we are talking about the same issue, but pretty much any modern auto tranny will do that buzzing sound before it engages into gear.

My Jeep used to do that all the time. At least the Rav4 doesn't feel like it was bumped into from behind...

·
Registered
8 Posts
2007 RAV4 Limited 4WD V6 … less that 500 Kms
I also have a buzzing/humming sound when sitting at the traffic light or when stopped (brake on) with the vehicle in Reverse, Neutral, or in Drive, but when put into Park, the noise goes away.
My guess that it’s also a transmission problem.
Any updates as to what the problem was?
I plan to visit the dealer on this issue.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Any response/fix on the issue ?

Got the car 2 weeks ago (07 V6 Sport)and it has been driven by my wife so far. Today I just had a chance to drive it and noticeed the same noise discussed here. Has any body got the solution for the noise yet after seeing the dealers? Please post if you have satisfied with the issue. I plan to bring the car to the dealer soon but would like to have give them some suggestions I may find here.

So far, fuel pumps and heat shields have been mentioned as the culprits, but is the problem solved? I would like to hear from satified customers who have gone through the matter.

Thank you

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
This one is usually referred to as the "droning noise". Lots of posts about it here as well as on Edmunds. So far there are some people who have had their vehicle in to the dealer several times for attempted fixes, but I have not yet heard anyone say it actually got fixed, only that the dealers are stumped.

My impression is that it's a V6 issue. Mine did it occasionally back in the summer, but now that the cooler weather is here I don't hear it anymore.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
noise when at idle

What ever happened with this? Did anyone come up with a solution? What did the dealer say?

I have the same droning noise on my 2007.

Thanks for your help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts