Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well 1 year into it and it's being traded off. I'm certain this thing would run a long time but I grew tired of its quirks. It won't shift properly when in cruise control, it shifts down and then it won't shift back up unless I flick accel/ decal or hit the gas. Road noise is horrendous on our pebbled highway to the point talking is difficult. It constantly smells of coolant and the service department admits it but says they can't see anything even though the level is dropping. The final straw is that it has valve train noise on start up with 16000km on it.

It not all negative though, The Front suspension is really good but the back suspension is to harsh. Build quality body and interior wise is exceptional with no rattles or wind noise. The fuel economy and awd system are also very good. Actually the awd is fantastic in our snowy conditions and the heated seats are great.

This isn't meant to rag on the poor little RAV I think I just got a dud. Good luck to everyone and I enjoyed the forum over the last year.

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
The coolant smell would certainly put my wife off and the road noise which you report would have her wearing hearing protectors in that RAV.You'll probably take a hit on depreciation for a trade. What are you getting to replace it? Sorry to see you go and hope that you enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually did very well on trade so Toyota really does retain its value. We ordered a jeep Cherokee trailhawk back in December and it just arrived at the dealer. Being a jeep I'm also expecting some quirks but it's a bit more rugged and skid plated up. We don't venture far off road but I very quickly found the RAV,'s limits, or at least what I felt comfortable without wrecking something. The jeep also comes with A/T tires and real tow hooks. Time will tell how it holds up though.

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
Good that you did well with trading in your RAV. Won't the Jeep be at least as noisy on your pebbled highway as your RAV was?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually even with the A/T tires the jeeps are significantly quieter on the highway. It also has 100 more hp which I'm looking forward to. To be fair I never had any power issues with the RAV though. I am also looking forward to being able to tow our side by side with the jeep to save gas over my f250 on day trips.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
My son has a Trailhawk and he really loves it. I'm sure you will love yours too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I actually did very well on trade so Toyota really does retain its value. We ordered a jeep Cherokee trailhawk back in December and it just arrived at the dealer. Being a jeep I'm also expecting some quirks but it's a bit more rugged and skid plated up. We don't venture far off road but I very quickly found the RAV,'s limits, or at least what I felt comfortable without wrecking something. The jeep also comes with A/T tires and real tow hooks. Time will tell how it holds up though.
Can you tell us more about how you "did very well on trade"?

I would love to hear more about this as they always tell us cars depreciate rapidly the first year.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Basically the initial price on the jeep Cherokee trailhawk is a bit more then our RAV limited was. We had a smaller trade on the RAV with a Honda Accord. I am walking into the jeep with the same payments and same term as we had on the RAV. Plus 0% financing on the jeep. I really like the Toyota brand but the dealership service makes the vehicle sometimes and ours hasn't been so good.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Basically the initial price on the jeep Cherokee trailhawk is a bit more then our RAV limited was. We had a smaller trade on the RAV with a Honda Accord. I am walking into the jeep with the same payments and same term as we had on the RAV. Plus 0% financing on the jeep. I really like the Toyota brand but the dealership service makes the vehicle sometimes and ours hasn't been so good.
The thing about American cars is they get heavily discounted.

So I cannot tell if you got a nice trade-in amount or a steep American discount (or both).

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
It's funny that the quirks you found in the '15 have been addressed in the '16...hate to say it but maybe you should have test drove a '16...they added more sound dampening materials..and made changes to the suspension..along with several other..the new '16 is a fair amount different..quieter and softer...I know because i bought my daughter a'15 in may which was totalled and just replaced with a '16...identical model vehicles with the '16 much improved...also about $3000 more too with several safety features and many niceties upgrades as well as exterior appearance changes...all appreciated changes

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We actually gave our Toyota dealer a first crack at trying to work a deal on something else like a Tacoma or 4Runner. We expressed our intent to be done with the RAV and they were not to interested to say the least, we never even got to discussing pricing. Good to hear they corrected some things on the 2016 and to bad the dealership never mentioned anything. I would venture a guess that the same engine and trans hardware and programming is being used though.

RAV41996 I am not going to put prices because they vary depending on where you live Canada/ USA and individual areas. My pricing quotes may be irrelevant where you live. I can say that this is not my first new car, truck or suv and I am happy with the figures I was given.

·
Registered
188 Posts
It's funny that the quirks you found in the '15 have been addressed in the '16...hate to say it but maybe you should have test drove a '16...they added more sound dampening materials..and made changes to the suspension..along with several other..the new '16 is a fair amount different..quieter and softer...I know because i bought my daughter a'15 in may which was totalled and just replaced with a '16...identical model vehicles with the '16 much improved...also about $3000 more too with several safety features and many niceties upgrades as well as exterior appearance changes...all appreciated changes
My biggest complaint with our 2014 is the highway transmission shifting as mentioned by the OP. Seriously considering looking at a Hybrid now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You know I can't help but feel that sometimes people get a little paranoid,and expect way too much, perfection, if you will. The start up noise is nothing more that valve train lash. Toyota's have been doing this forever, It's not like the metal on metal noise that the CR-V's and Accords with the four cylinder Honda's have been doing for years known as the VTC rattle. As far as the transmission shifting, it's a result of trying to get the best possible MPG's and also a result of keeping the vehicle in Eco mode, in sport mode there is no such shifting.

Personally, the things mentioned by the original poster are minor criticisms. But buyers have a right to be happy with their purchase, and if the OP thinks he will get that with Jeeps, all I can say is good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Winterlands. Did I completely bash on the RAV? No! Will all my dreams come true with the jeep? I doubt it. My nitpicking is justified to me. If your satisfied with what you have that's wonderful for you. I wasn't and I'm moving on.

Please tell me how running down the highway in 4th gear for 8km when going 70mph is a fuel saving strategy? Drives perfect without cruise control but hey Toyota must know how to maximize economy by not using its overdrive gears. I guess 5-6 is for in town usage and 4-5 is for highway. I would have thought it would be opposite. Just a FYI Eco and sport were both the same issue. I don't think the valve lash would shorten engine life but I was done with all the minor criticisms the dealer couldn't fix. I am also not expecting perfection as all things mechanical have issues but at least admit there's an issue and try to find a resolution for your customer. Oh that's right they admitted it smelled of coolant and was low but couldn't see anything while doing an oil change so just live with it. If my dealer support was better it would have helped but they were clueless and unwilling.

As I previously said there were also things I really liked about the RAV but I think Toyota reliability is as questionable as the rest these days.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had no intentions of this turning into bashing the RAV so I think it's probably a good time to close this post. Enjoyed reading and learning over the last year so thank you to everyone.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Many members here feel that this mostly useful site is for complimentary comments only- I, for one, appreciate honest constructive criticism- good luck to the OP on his new purchase...

·
Super Moderator
11,112 Posts
I'm sorry that you bought a turd. Every maker makes them. I wish you the best on your new adventure with a different brand.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Dirtymutt, I never insinuated that you "totally bashed" the Rav4, I was just giving you my point of view, opinion, of what you perceived as potential problems. You have stated that you question the reliability of the Toyota brand, and that's your right. If you were not happy with your purchase you have every right to buy whatever you want, and that's what I stated in my post.

My own personal opinion is that why would someone choose a brand (Jeep) that has a history of reliability problems if that is the most important criteria for their purchase? You state that you feel Toyota has some reliability issues, I was just pointing out that those are your views and concerns and that those views and concerns might not be shared by others concerning the reliability of the brand((Toyota).

Just an FYI. In the December 2015 issue of Consumers Reports they rated Lexus and Toyota as the most reliable brands, Lexus and Toyota were rated number one and two in that order for reliability, and those statistics are based on facts collected from consumers over several years up to 2016, not someone's interpretation of what may be a problem. In the least reliable brands, Jeep was rated 27 out of a total of 28 brands for reliability issues! Actually the last three brands are all Chrysler products, Ram, Jeep and in last place Fiat. The last seven least reliable brands, five are Chrysler products. Those are not my views.

Like I said, good luck with your purchase, and I honestly mean that in a sincere way, not in any kind of mean or vindictive way.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sounds like you had more of a service issue than anything. Sorry to hear that. Having a good service department that wants to make their customer happy is premium to me. I've been lucky enough to have a great service department at my Toyota Dealer. I'm on my 2nd Toyota from them in 5.5 years. Other than the clerks paging me as "Mr." once in a while, they've done well by me.

Years ago, I had a 1986 Oldsmobile 98. Loved that car. I hated the dealer's service department, and they made me hate my car. They treated me like an idiot and even one time told me I was hearing things. Later I had a 1995 Chrysler LHS, and I hated that car. I loved the dealership. They treated me with respect and like they wanted my business. They made me like Chrysler product so that I bought a 1998 Durango, for heaven's sake. What a piece of crap that thing was.

Anyway, good luck with your new ride. I hope you get a better service department.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts