Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just stumbled across this site that sells an adapter for a by-pass oil filter that uses 1-ply toilet paper as filtration media:

https://www.toiletpaperoilfilter.com/faq.html

To be clear, this is a parallel installed, low flow, filter that does not replace the factory filtration.
Has anyone here installed one of those?

Where is the oil pressure sender on the V6 engine? That's where the source of pressure is tapped (short of buying the more expensive filter adapter plate).

·
Super Moderator
10,783 Posts
I remember them from 40-50 years ago! I believe the consensus then was, and still is IMO, for very little possible benefit why take a chance on damaging your engine somehow?

Reactions: Blogson

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Technically, I don't see how it can damage the engine. The auxiliary filtration is a parallel circuit, not in the lubrication path.
Uses the oil pressure to generate a small oil flow, constantly, trough this filter, to clean up the oil. Paper (cellulose) does very well in oil, most of the normal oil filters are just that. It also has a mesh to trap bigger pieces, if there are any broken off.

Do you know where the oil pressure sender unit is on the V6?

·
Super Moderator
10,783 Posts
I wouldn't take the chance of a piece of paper getting loose in my oiling system and t/f have no reason to know where the sender is.

Reactions: Blogson

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Along with Dr. Dyno I recall this sort of advert from that time frame. But I wouldn't use toilet paper - besides what Dr.Dyno notes I doubt that toilet paper would allow enough oil through to properly lubricate bearings, etc. That filtering medium was suggested when cars had bypass oil filtering systems rather than today's full flow filters, so in those days if a filter didn't allow oil through the engine would be lubricated anyway.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I doubt that toilet paper would allow enough oil through to properly lubricate bearings, etc.
Again, this is NOT in the path of normal engine lubrication.
Is a parallel path, taps in the oil pressure sending unit, takes a small flow of oil (after the oil pump of course), filters it at that slow flow, and dumps it back into the pan.
Various places of return are suggested, tapping a threaded nipple into the side of the oil pan, or tapping the oil fill cap and attaching a quick disconnect.
The normal OE filtration (high flow) circuit is not touched or changed. Kind of like this:

Looks like the pressure switch is right by the oil filter cartridge.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is how the system looks (for Ford), with quick disconnects. Picks up oil from the bottom of oil filter and returns on the oil filler cap:

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
IMO, a needless and useless complication with even possible negative benefits and a semi-return to the bypass oil filtering system of half a century ago, intended to enhance someone's bank accounts at the expense of some of the gullible public.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Those toilet paper filters have been around for at least 50 years. I know toilet paper has changeD significantly in those years. Not sure why any parallel filter is needed or even not detrimental. Oil flow to the bearing versus to the bypass filter is only based on pressure differences between the two systems. Not regulated by anything else. Dangerous in my opinion looking at your diagram. What if the bypass filter loses its pressure drop and all the oil flows through it instead of the bearings.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Power to the Marketers! They are effective at separating you from your money.

K&N (air filters) are the worse. Plenty of "Fast and Furious" types believe the hype of a few extra HP. The modern computer controlled car will see ZERO HP increase when using the K&N junk. Alteration of the intake, exhaust, and reprograming the ECU will provide the HP increase, not a washable filter that has been proven to allow more particulates pass into the intake.

Fast and Furious @SoNic67 believes the after market equipment marketers know better than the multi-BILLION dollar automotive companies on how to make the engines better.
Again, this is NOT in the path of normal engine lubrication.
Is a parallel path, taps in the oil pressure sending unit, takes a small flow of oil (after the oil pump of course), filters it at that slow flow, and dumps it back into the pan.
If the auto companies (Ford, GM, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, VW, Hyundai, Kia, etc) felt a bypass oil filter contraption would make their engines EVEN more reliable/better/efficient/powerful/etc, don't you think these multi BILLION dollar corporations would have implemented it?

My educated guess as to why the multi-BILLION dollar auto companies have NOT adopted this snake oil is: RISK vs REWARD. Look at the additional parts introduced! All the fittings/hoses are additional points of failures! The engine has enough as it is. Why commit an unforced error and introduce more complexity and increase the points of failures. Too much risk, for little to no reward. Snake oil NOT adopted by the multi-BILLION dollar auto companies.

This reminds me of the magnetic devices added to the fuel line that will MAGICALLY increase a car's fuel efficiency! Again, if this snake oil worked, the multi-BILLION dollar auto companies would have implemented these magnetic devices decades ago!

People will believe what they want to believe. There's a sucker born every minute. My Nigerian uncle in the UK, has my UK lotto winnings he is willing to share. Just send him the attorney fees via Western Union, so you can get your share of his UK lotto winnings.

Apply the money from this frivolous purchase toward a mutual fund! You can thank me later.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
is only based on pressure differences between the two systems. Not regulated by anything else.
Actually the pressure at the oil pump output is held constant by the pump's internal pressure relief valve that dumps the excess oil back into crankcase.
Yes, at low rpm the flow trough the bypass might be an issue, if the pump/engine is weak/worn and cannot maintain pressure at that low speed. Indeed, something to think about, especially when the modern cars don't have pressure measuring sensors anymore, just some pressure switches (low pressure alarm). But in those cases usually the owners go for a higher grade oil anyway, to compensate for the loss of pressure.

If the auto companies (Ford, GM, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, VW, Hyundai, Kia, etc) felt a bypass oil filter contraption would make their engines EVEN more reliable/better/efficient/powerful/etc, don't you think these multi BILLION dollar corporations would have implemented it?
People will believe what they want to believe. There's a sucker born every minute.
The same companies that felt that saving $1.40 for a better ignition switch or $8 for a better acceleration sensor is worth the lives of some buyers? Yes, those were SNAKE oils too...
I guess it is true, suckers are born every day. And they don't know what they don't know, some (adults even) believe that multi-billion companies are their friends.

The $121 million settlement follows multiple other actions related to GM's ignition switches, including $595 million to resolve death and injury compensation claims, $575 million to settle other death and injury claims and a shareholder lawsuit, and another $900 million to settle a government criminal probe.
A federal judge ratified the $1.2-$1.4 billion Toyota lawsuit settlement in March 2014 while admonishing the automaker for corporate misconduct.

·
Super Moderator
10,783 Posts
This is how the system looks (for Ford), with quick disconnects. Picks up oil from the bottom of oil filter and returns on the oil filler cap:

Yep, Frantz is the same name from way back when! Can't believe they've around all this time. Someone must've resurrected them to make a buck.

Reactions: SoNic67

·
Super Moderator
10,783 Posts
IMO, this thread is going nowhere and is another one where there will never be agreement. But if you guys want to waste time going back and forth typing we'll let it ride.

If you want it closed just start insulting each other a little more forcefully.

Reactions: SoNic67

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Yep, Frantz is the same name from way back when!
I understand from the FAQ that he passed away, but the brand keeps on going. "The new Oil Refiner, invented by John Frantz, is his latest and best redesign prior to his death."
Henry Ford died too.

Looks like this is the owner of the company now:

I might not go with this, just because of the space that I don't have.
LE: People put "CAI" filters in their car engine bay and nobody bats an eye :whistle:

·
Super Moderator
11,320 Posts
Seems like I remember those from the 1960's. If you think it's so great then buy one and install it. It's not something I would want nor do I see any real benefit to it on a V-6 RAV. There are bypass filters that work without T paper and probably do benefit large sump diesels.

·
Registered
186 Posts
People will believe what they want to believe.

Yes, companies have and will continue to do stupid things in the pursuit of profits. Until the employees (CEO, engineeres, etc) are imprisoned for the cover-up, companies will continue to get off w/ a slap on the wrist. Class action lawsuits sadly are the only remedy to counteract the greed and deceit of the big companies.

If toilet paper, fuel efficienty magnets, or K&N air filters, had any meaningful benefits to the car (performance, fuel efficiency, or longevity), and assuming the cost to implement was low, all the auto makers would have implemented these products. Not ONE auto manufacture has incorporated any of these, esp the old (toilet paper) oil bypass from the 1960s. The cost to implement is probably low. Benefit, probably not meaningful. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see that the oil bypass introduces additional points of failure, and additional unnecessary maintenance.

It is ultimately your car. Do as you like.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts