Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys , been searching and hunting to try and find solutions to my High Hydro Carbons fail for CA SMOG.

230k on engine
NO check engine light or codes.

Just failed 2nd test today.
First test did a fresh oil change and had run through a tune up cleaner through previous gas tank. Made sure to drive and warm car and left running before test but alas it failed only on Hydrocarbons
15mph test MAX 60 MEAS 69
25mph MAX 43 MEAS 57

So wasn't too far off. So then I set out to master the next test, make it my bitch, walk outta there with numbers wayyy lower. So I;
Cleaned throttle body
New NGk Plugs and Wires
New PCV Valve (think factory clogged one was still on it)
& New generic Walker Catalytic converter (figured original cat with 230k mi was tired)

And yet again FAILED, barely even made a difference.
15mph test MAX 60 MEAS 66
25mph MAX 43 MEAS 56

So Im lost what to do now. 02 sensors ? This is a 1997 and there isn't even an 02 sensor past the main cat converter, just has 2 on the downpipe. But I thought itd be throwing a code if they were bad.
Maybe just tired engine? Barely burns oil.

ahhh how I hate CA smog testing
any helpful advice greatly appreciated

thanks
Jon

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah just did plugs and wires, air filter too... do bad O2 sensors throw a code on the 1997?
has a tiny coolant leak into head, would burning coolant raise hydrocarbons I wonder?

Im dreading doing a full tear down but may have to

·
Registered
159 Posts
I wonder if your main cat is still working (or is even there). How did this car do last year? Does your engine consume oil?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
yeah just did plugs and wires, air filter too... do bad O2 sensors throw a code on the 1997?
has a tiny coolant leak into head, would burning coolant raise hydrocarbons I wonder?

Im dreading doing a full tear down but may have to
O2 sensor that are starting to go bad might not give a code.
if they are bad, you air fuel ratio will be off, and you might get extra fuel in in the exhaust flow.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wonder if your main cat is still working (or is even there). How did this car do last year? Does your engine consume oil?

Just replaced main cat this last week. Car squeaked by barely passing emissions testing last time. And doesn't consume a lot of oil maybe half qt every few thousand.

·
Registered
159 Posts
What kind of replacement cat did you use? OEM cats cost $500-$800 because they use platinum, I always wonder about effectiveness of $50-$100 aftermarket cats.

Have you tried using AC during test? I remember reading that it might help during idle test, who knows how it will do during speed test. Might be worth a shot.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I figured since numbers were close Id throw a cat on, couldn't afford OEM. So I took the old cat off and it looked good (not clogged or broken) but Id already bought an aftermarket WALKER one. So I cut out the old one and welded in the new one. Thought it would help lower numbers a lil more.

Car doesn't have AC right now. That's on the to do list before next summer.

Im thinking the burning coolant may be the culprit raising the HCs. I may swap out for water for the test and see if that works or may just get it over with and replace head gasket and do full top rebuild. Was hoping to just keep drivin til gasket blew completely to do tear down. Just don't want to keep throwing things at it and hope not wasting time if Im missing something simpler.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts