Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just want to make sure. Behind the glove box, what we and the "Warranty and Maintenance Guide" booklet call the "cabin air filter"; is that the same thing that the manual calls the "Air Conditioning filter"? (2015 Limited, 'Owners Manual', section 6-3 Do-it-yourself maintenance, page 568 and 569)

The dealer service advisor told me wrong last Friday. Took the car in for its 20,000 mile oil change and he said that the engine air filter and cabin air filter were supposed to be changed at 15,000 miles. That is counter to the "Warranty and Maintenance Guide" booklet. At 30,000 miles, it states "Replace cabin air filter", and just below it, "Replace engine air filter". Previous maintenance intervals do say to "Inspect engine air filter", but not necessarily replace it. No mention about the cabin air filter before 30k miles.

Had the car in for a warranty repair the past couple days, (rattle in dashboard). Finally picked it up this morning and want ahead and purchased the cabin filter and engine air filter, (boy, are those things expensive!). I replaced the engine air filter this morning, because it was so simple. The old filter looks pretty good and I was going to keep it as a spare. I think I'll just put it back in tonight when I get home and wait till 30k to swap it for the new one.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Yeah cabin air filter/air conditioning filter are the same thing. I just had ours in for a recall and oil change and the dealer marked the cabin air filter as red and dirty needing replacement. I pulled it out and it still looked clean. It's just a high markup service for them. Get a filter yourself under $10 and replace if need be. It's simple.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Yeah cabin air filter/air conditioning filter are the same thing. I just had ours in for a recall and oil change and the dealer marked the cabin air filter as red and dirty needing replacement. I pulled it out and it still looked clean. It's just a high markup service for them. Get a filter yourself under $10 and replace if need be. It's simple.
I opted for an aftermarket filter with a charcoal layer. Good stuff!

·
Registered
2 Posts
for standard service 30 thousand is a reasonable number. It really goes by condition after that. I used to shine a 60 watt rough service on the inside. if you can see a fair amount of light through there then put it back in and check at the next oil change interval.
I have found out over the years that you can find after market parts cheaper but ya won't find any made better.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Just want to make sure. Behind the glove box, what we and the "Warranty and Maintenance Guide" booklet call the "cabin air filter"; is that the same thing that the manual calls the "Air Conditioning filter"? (2016 Limited, 'Owners Manual', section 6-3 Do-it-yourself maintenance, page 568 and 569)

The dealer service advisor told me wrong last Friday. Took the car in for its 20,000 mile oil change and he said that the engine air filter and cabin air filter were supposed to be changed at 15,000 miles. That is counter to the "Warranty and Maintenance Guide" booklet. At 30,000 miles, it states "Replace cabin air filter", and just below it, "Replace engine air filter". Previous maintenance intervals do say to "Inspect engine air filter", but not necessarily replace it. No mention about the cabin air filter before 30k miles.

Had the car in for a warranty repair the past couple days, (rattle in dashboard). Finally picked it up this morning and want ahead and purchased the cabin filter and engine air filter, (boy, are those things expensive!). I replaced the engine air filter this morning, because it was so simple. The old filter looks pretty good and I was going to keep it as a spare. I think I'll just put it back in tonight when I get home and wait till 30k to swap it for the new one.
The cabin filter should be checked every 15K and replaced when it's needed. I can say from experience that its not impossible it will be pretty clogged at 30k, but I've had them go 45k too.
NEVER buy any filter from the dealer, or replace them because the dealer wants to. They make about 100% profit on filters.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,756 Posts
Had the car in for a warranty repair the past couple days, (rattle in dashboard). Finally picked it up this morning and want ahead and purchased the cabin filter and engine air filter, (boy, are those things expensive!). I replaced the engine air filter this morning, because it was so simple.
Here's the engine air filter for a little over $12:

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-A3104C-Professional-Air-Filter/dp/B002VPLB32

And a charcoal cabin air filter for $16.95:

https://www.amazon.com/CF10285-Fresh-Breeze-Cabin-Filter/dp/B001CEG90I

You should never pay more than that.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I replace the cabin filter once a year in all our cars. I have found that after one year the filter is always quite dirty. I use aftermarket filters because they are way cheaper than OEM.

As for engine air filter, it should be replaced based on condition, rather than mileage. From experience, in my location (SW Ohio), I need to replace the air filter every 25-30k miles (this applies to all our cars). In a more dusty location the filter should be replaced more frequently. I use OEM filters as the prices difference between OEM and "generic" is rather small.

·
Registered
932 Posts
2009 TOYOTA RAV4 2.5L L4
Fuel/Air : Air Filter
DENSO 1433011 First Time Fit® Filter Info
Do you also need a new Oil Filter?
$6.95
$6.95 Remove
Heat & Air Conditioning : Cabin Air Filter
DENSO 4531019 {#8713907010, 8713952020, 87139YZZ08} Info
DENSO is the OE supplier for this vehicle; Premium particulate filtration media; Captures pollen, dust, and other allergens

$7.52
$7.52 Remove
Subtotal $14.47
Discount -$0.72
Country Zip/Postal Code

Shipping (You should receive by Friday, June 24)
Total $21.74
How Did You Hear About Us?
4552027641094364- coupon code

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toyota,2009,rav4,2.5l+l4,1442964,heat+&+air+conditioning,cabin+air+filter,6832

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
2009 TOYOTA RAV4 2.5L L4
Fuel/Air : Air Filter
DENSO 1433011 First Time Fit® Filter Info
$6.95

Heat & Air Conditioning : Cabin Air Filter
DENSO 4531019 {#8713907010, 8713952020, 87139YZZ08} Info
DENSO is the OE supplier for this vehicle; Premium particulate filtration media; Captures pollen, dust, and other allergens
$7.52

Subtotal $14.47

Shipping
Total $21.74

4552027641094364- coupon code

2009 TOYOTA RAV4 2.5L L4 Cabin Air Filter | RockAuto
Thanks, Focus....Hmmm, I wonder if the Denso oil filter is also considered OEM?

2009 TOYOTA RAV4 2.5L L4 Oil Filter | RockAuto

Dealer parts prices recently went up, and I like to stick with OEM parts most times, so RockAuto looks better all the time. I got my Advics brake pad kit there also. To reduce the overall impact of shipping, combine all the DIY filters, windshield wiper refills, maybe a few pesky plastic rivets and washers--make an order every couple years, good to go.

I wonder if the cabin filter longevity is based on car in the garage vs. outside, and how well people vacuum the intake screen to the HVAC? My truck stays outside--under a tree-- and takes a beating there requiring extra attention, while the pampered RAV parked inside easily goes 3 years/30k miles.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Or use the Denso part number and get the OEM to the OEM--for much less across the board.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Thanks, Focus....Hmmm, I wonder if the Denso oil filter is also considered OEM?

2009 TOYOTA RAV4 2.5L L4 Oil Filter | RockAuto

Dealer parts prices recently went up, and I like to stick with OEM parts most times, so RockAuto looks better all the time. I got my Advics brake pad kit there also. To reduce the overall impact of shipping, combine all the DIY filters, windshield wiper refills, maybe a few pesky plastic rivets and washers--make an order every couple years, good to go.

I wonder if the cabin filter longevity is based on car in the garage vs. outside, and how well people vacuum the intake screen to the HVAC? My truck stays outside--under a tree-- and takes a beating there requiring extra attention, while the pampered RAV parked inside easily goes 3 years/30k miles.
I would not have a problem using the Denso oil filter... same company. That's what I do- order one large order to cut on shipping.

·
Registered
731 Posts
They are also called pollen filters in some European vehicles. Changing the cabin filter on certain Volvos can be a nightmare. Some use 2 filters, one on each side of the dash.

I buy Wix charcoal filters part number 24511 which fits both my wife's 2010 RAV4 and my 2009 Avalon. The RAV4 and the Avalon also use the same oil filter and same air filter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts