Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my Toyota dealer for my 5000km oil change and I had them show me how to check the cabin air filter. It was filthy so I asked if they had a HEPA filter replacement for it. They gave me part number 87139-52020 and a cost of $49.95. I've looked around on the web and can't find one anywhere. Does anyone know of a HEPA filter replacement for this that is cheaper. If so can you provide a link to help me locate a dealer. Thanks.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sorry, don't have the link but you can check Denso or bosch and I think the price approx $25. Manufactory recommand to change it every 10000 miles.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I to struck out looking for these filters online.

Even the Denso site doesn't list them yet.

Hope we see more web options available in 2007

P

·
0 Posts
So does this air filter get dirty only if you use the filter button? Also, I was thinking this is only used with air conditioning, correct?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a Sport so there is no filter button on the heating and A/C controls. Only Limited folks get that, in Canada at least.

This filter is behind the glove box. Open the glove box and put your hands right down at the back. You should be able to pop the tab out on each side to see a box in the upper left part of the newly revealed compartment. The small box has a tab you can open to get at the air filter. Mine was quite dirty. It also had a small bolt that must have been left behind from the factory sitting in it. Hope that was the only bolt that got left behind and I certainly hope it was an additional one. I'll keep looking. I tried emailing Bosch to no avail. Maybe I will try Denso now.

·
Registered
379 Posts
How long do the filters usually last :?: I now it depends on how much you use it and how dusty is it where you live. All that aside. The 06 RAV is only months old and people are changing air filters already, I haven't even changed the one on my STS yet theres a light on the dash which tells when when to change.

J

·
0 Posts
For those fo you of the DIY persuasion, I hope that the filter arrangement in the RAV4 is the same as other Toyota products and you can homebrew a simple filter for WAY less than the toyota part . .

For example, see the reference info in the URL below for the SCION cabin air filter mod:

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20753

Guess I'll be digging behind the glovebox tonight to find out!
-JY

·
Registered
379 Posts
packpackpack said:
So does this air filter get dirty only if you use the filter button? Also, I was thinking this is only used with air conditioning, correct?
Dido. Does the filter get dirty if you only use the filter :?: Or does the air pass through the filter all the time :?: One would think that it works like the filter on your air handler at home, all the time. :?

O

·
0 Posts
I just looked into the filter box and saw that the 4.3 has a different fillter. The 4.3 no longer has the tray. Anybody have suggestions? I just replaced my cabin filter with an expensive toyota filter.

OZ

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
it should not be a cost issue cause you do not need to replace em that often. In my other suv its the original filter after 4 years and I run the air or fan ALL the time. Its aleways on when Im driving. I looked at it and it was not near being clogged at all

1 - 20 of 25 Posts