Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
2019 Rav4h Ltd 馃嚡馃嚨
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Piece of cake to install. However has anybody really noted the differences between the two part numbers and $25 (roughly) of your hard earned cash? Is it just the charcoal stuff? I am seeing similar pricing structures between STP, Fram and Purolator filters as well.

I used OEM because the website was easier to click on and add to the post.

And on a side note I pulled my battery cover to inspect the filter there and its looks pretty similar in color as the cabin filter (not white; like a dark grayish color). I doubt the battery cares about fumes. :D

Expensive filter:

Cheap Filter:

Registered
2020 RAV4 hybrid XLE, Magnetic Grey metallic, cold weather package.
I get mine on Amazon for both my wife's Corolla and now my new 2020 RAV4h. Much cheaper. I found one from EPAuto for like $9.

Registered
2019 Rav4h Ltd 馃嚡馃嚨
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am more curious about construction and why Toyota has two different part numbers (as well as Fram, STP...etc) versus outright cost.

Registered
2020 RAV4 hybrid XLE, Magnetic Grey metallic, cold weather package.
Understandable, but just for info sake, the EPAuto filter looks and feels just like the OEM I pull out of my RAV4h. If you to put them side by side without identify it which is which it would be hard to talk off hand. As for multiple part numbers , well there maybe some very minor differences to allow it to be used in one set of cats and other in different set with some intersections of both groups. Like part 1 can be used in xx years of Corolla and RAV4 and part 2 can be used in yy years of Camry and rav4. I have seen this before. Confusing like hell

Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
I am more curious about construction and why Toyota has two different part numbers (as well as Fram, STP...etc) versus outright cost.
Short answer is paper filter vs cotton/charcoal filter, so one really is a more expensive item. That said, there are so many 3rd party filters being made that are a bit different that you do have more of a range of quality and construction. And Toyota uses the same filter in many different cars so each year the pool of options grows. If you want to control pollen and other tiny particles, the better filter is the way to go.

Registered
Been using the Fram Fresh Breeze with baking soda and activated charcoal. $20 on Amazon. Replace it every spring as Texas gives the A/C a workout.

Registered
I am really happy with my K&N cabin filter. Well built and I feel it does a great job filtering the air. When it gets dirty, take it out and wash it. While it's drying, I put the original back in. When I bought mine, there was a promo code so you could get the $15 cleaning kit for free. I've cleaned mine once after all of the big California fires and have quite a bit of cleaner left. I feel it's well worth the extra price for the filter since it will probably out live the vehicle. It's not carbon, but I don't need a carbon filter. All that is wasted once you open a window or open a door.

Reactions: Variman

Registered
Watch out, the aftermarket filters generally have an UP arrow, whereas Toyota has an Airflow Arrow. They are opposite.

Registered
Sorry you have confused me, which way should the cabin filter sit arrow up or arrow down???
If it says Airflow it points down. If it says UP it points up. My point was that Toyota always provides an UP arrow, and aftermarket filters tend to use an Airflow arrow. Airflow is Down

Registered
But mine has an up arrow on the filter cover so what does that mean:

Registered
If your filter has an up arrow, you install it that way. If it has an airflow arrow, air flows down through this filter.

Registered
If your filter has an up arrow, you install it that way. If it has an airflow arrow, air flows down through this filter.
What I can tell you is that the debris was on top of the filter when I removed the original so the air flow would have to be from the top down. With a pleated filter, it really doesn't matter when you're putting in a new filter or freshly cleaned one like mine since the pleats will catch the debris and dirt particles either way. The direction is if you're removing a dirty one, cleaning it (tapping the debris off) and putting the old one back in. Now, the activated charcoal ones might be a different story dual to potential layers of material. There might be a first contact situation but I digress since I had one on my 2009 BMW X3 and never really looked that close to it.

Registered
I got mine on rockauto.com - for the 2019 they list 10 filters at all price points. I tried the charcoal filter this time around just to see if it filters exhaust odor from city traffic driving. They only last a year so you can go back soon enough and try another type/price point quick enough.

Registered
Piece of cake to install. However has anybody really noted the differences between the two part numbers and $25 (roughly) of your hard earned cash? Is it just the charcoal stuff? I am seeing similar pricing structures between STP, Fram and Purolator filters as well.

I used OEM because the website was easier to click on and add to the post.

And on a side note I pulled my battery cover to inspect the filter there and its looks pretty similar in color as the cabin filter (not white; like a dark grayish color). I doubt the battery cares about fumes. :D

Expensive filter:

Cheap Filter:
I always use an oem filter but always buy it off ebay for a fraction of the dealer's price. Cheap enough no need to bargain hunt for me.

Registered

Registered
2019 Rav4h Ltd 馃嚡馃嚨
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I waited until last minute to buy before a road trip. A local dealer was willing to sell at cost of 28 versus retail of 55 (or whatever). So I got the carbon one. not the best price but WAY better than four other dealers that wouldnt play nice. one wouldnt help me without a VIN.

I could not for the life of me find an after market carbon based cabin filter in my area. lesson learned. parts for Hybrid are rare and you need to an ahead. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts