Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how the Rav cabin heater is controlled. I mean, does a tap turn the hot water on and off, or does it work by a flap controlling the air flow past the hot element.

In the type where the element is hot all the time, in a hot climate, when the car is closed and left for a while and you come back, all the heat has leaked into the cabin making the temperature rise of the sun worse.

I cannot find any cable controlled tap, so I think it must be controlled by flaps which is not as good.

Anyone have any knowledge of this.

Brian

·
Registered
771 Posts
I don't have anything to add but I know the Black dash doesn't help. It acts as a radiator of sorts and you can feel the heat from it when ever it is sunny. I'd put a cover over mine if it wasn't such a distraction by reflecting in the windsheild. Compared to some vehicles I've owned, I don't think the Cooling system is all that great in the Rav. Could be all the dark materials radiating the heat back at my face. ? :roll: M.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont know about how the heater is controlled but I have the same issue of it being blistering hot inside the cabin in the summer.

If the car is also sitting in the Sun, it will bake the entire car and heat it up(very fast). Extreme Heat will build up in the engine bay(sun baking the hood), not to mention the rest of the car and it will get into the cabin for sure. The windows will let it in too.

Also, the engine and exhaust stays hot for a while(after being turned off). That heat will find its way to the cabin as well.

Colour in and out also has an impact for sure as Marcutio has indicated.

What I do:

Put a screen in your windshield, park in the shade, tint windows to help.

Also when you get in and its hot(hotter than it is outside), just open all the windows and turn on the fan at full blast(point the ducts outside a window) and in about 1-2 minutes all the heat buildup in the ducts and cabin will be gone and the temp will be the same inside as outside.

I dont turn the A/C on right away because I believe it would put strain on the system as there is excess heat in the cabin that it first has to remove before effectively cooling incoming air into the cabin.

I wanted to comment on the cooling system, it is very powerful in the RAV I find. Even at 32 C(40 with humidity) the entire cabin is cool after 5 minutes. If you want instant cold, just point the ducts to the mid level vents on the dial do hicky, I prefer the under dash and mid level vents to cool it all.

:)

·
Registered
71 Posts
From what I know about Toyota, it'd be a hot water tap where it redirects coolant as the heating element.

Also consider Window Sox when you're driving and parked. www.windowsox.com.au. Just be careful at night because vision is restricted a lot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts