Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new 2019 Rav4 Hybrid Limited. Love the car so far, but now at about 2500 miles in, there is a bad rattle that seems to be coming from the headliner in the cargo area... and it's driving me nuts! Sat back there while my wife was driving in an attempt to locate it, but no luck.

Have an appointment to take it in to the dealer on Friday, but just curious if anyone else had experienced something similar?

·
Registered
757 Posts
I had a little bit of a rattle that came from the cargo cover, Re-positioning it some took care of it. Yours sounds more severe than mine was. To be sure that isn't it, try removing the cargo cover entirely. Since sounds bounce around, it can be hard to find the origin.

·
Premium Member
8,119 Posts
The license plate has been reported to rattle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I went crazy hunting that down over a couple of months. Kids friends dad is a toyota service writer.... asked him to look at it one day.... while it sounds like a cabin noise in the cargo area it was a bit different. It is a known issue with the '19
Text Font Ticket Receipt

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just bought a new 2019 Rav4 Hybrid Limited. Love the car so far, but now at about 2500 miles in, there is a bad rattle that seems to be coming from the headliner in the cargo area... and it's driving me nuts! Sat back there while my wife was driving in an attempt to locate it, but no luck.

Have an appointment to take it in to the dealer on Friday, but just curious if anyone else had experienced something similar?
I had the same issue and finallytracked it down to the slider doors on the sun visor mirrors rattling.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I eliminated a lot of low speed rattles by tilting the backseats all the way back. Leaving them in the forward positions gave me a lot of rattle.

I also put a towel on top of the spare tire to minimize noise from the jack bouncing around in the styrofoam. Not sure if that helped, but the back seat position made a huge difference in my car.

·
Registered
133 Posts

My main rattle is coming from the sun visors. There's a stretch of road I drive 4x a day and it causes them both to rattle/buzz. I think it's the mirror cover becuase when I press in the middle
of it, it goes away. Debating using some of my daughter's hair elastic thigns to wrap around the sun visor and insert a piece of foam so something is permanently pressed against it. I don't use those mirrors anyways so losing use of them won't bug me - but I get triggered easily when spending over $40,000.000 CDN to get cheap rattle noises. GRRRR.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
My main rattle is coming from the sun visors. There's a stretch of road I drive 4x a day and it causes them both to rattle/buzz. I think it's the mirror cover becuase when I press in the middle
of it, it goes away. Debating using some of my daughter's hair elastic thigns to wrap around the sun visor and insert a piece of foam so something is permanently pressed against it. I don't use those mirrors anyways so losing use of them won't bug me - but I get triggered easily when spending over $40,000.000 CDN to get cheap rattle noises. GRRRR.
Have you tried sliding the sun visor extension out just a little when they are in the stowed position? I had a small rattle in one of the visors and it turned out to be this plastic extension 'panel'

·
Registered
133 Posts
Have you tried sliding the sun visor extension out just a little when they are in the stowed position? I had a small rattle in one of the visors and it turned out to be this plastic extension 'panel'
Yep, it helps for a few seconds... then I close it and hit helps again for a few seconds... rinse and repeat haha. I kinow it coudl be eitehr piece but my feeling is the mirror cover b/c I can tap on it and there is some give whereas the sliding extender thing seems a lot more firm if that makes sense? Not as much play there.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
PS - I'm weird like that. If the engine fails I'd be like meh, stuff happens it'll get fixed. But a tiny rattle... seems to me off ;-)
Yep, I'm with you. This morning there was a noise coming form the panoramic roof. Drove me crazy. I need to see what's up there.

By the way, have you just tried a folded post-it note on the visor mirror door. Fold it and stuff it in where the door slides into the visor. This could put pressure on the door and keep it from rattling and will be invisible when the visor is up.

·
Registered
31 Posts

I had the same problem, turned out to be just above the passenger dome light, when I put my hand on it the rattle went away. Dealer fixed it in less than an hour.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our 2010 Prius interior was quiet until we hit around 80k. The noise is so annoying now. I was going to trade it in for a Rav4 hybrid soon but not happy to see the same issues popping up.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I'm glad I saw this thread because I just started noticing a rattle coming from my cargo area. It is most pronounced when the vehicle is at lower speeds, and when in EV mode because it's super quiet in the cabin. It does sound like the cargo deck rattling but could also sound like styrofoam rubbing. So I've looked in the spare wheel well and remounted the spare wheel to see if that helps. I will try removing the jack and styrofoam on top of the share next to see if it's the styrofoam rubbing the inside of the spare wheel.

·
Registered
762 Posts
rvs, did you resolve your cargo area rattle? I'm having the same issue. I've also removed the jack and Styrofoam and didn't help.
I haven't gone as far as removing the jack and styrofoam yet. That's next on my list to do. I did adjust my rear seats and put them into the lower position and it could have reduced the rattle somewhat. But it could have also been re-seating and re-tightening the spare wheel. I also find that when my family is in the car and the rear seats are occupied, I don't know the rattle as much. I'm not sure if it's just because there's more ambient sound in the cabin or whether the kids' presence affected the rattling (which would lead me to believe it could be the rear seats). I still don't have a definitive answer, unfortunately, but I'll update if I find it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts