Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
I haven't gone as far as removing the jack and styrofoam yet. That's next on my list to do. I did adjust my rear seats and put them into the lower position and it could have reduced the rattle somewhat. But it could have also been re-seating and re-tightening the spare wheel. I also find that when my family is in the car and the rear seats are occupied, I don't know the rattle as much. I'm not sure if it's just because there's more ambient sound in the cabin or whether the kids' presence affected the rattling (which would lead me to believe it could be the rear seats). I still don't have a definitive answer, unfortunately, but I'll update if I find it.
Ever figure it out?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went crazy hunting that down over a couple of months. Kids friends dad is a toyota service writer.... asked him to look at it one day.... while it sounds like a cabin noise in the cargo area it was a bit different. It is a known issue with the '19 View attachment 145407
Hi Andy, I have same noise, was your Rav4 built in Canada or Japan? Also do you have a TSB# for the spring insulators?

·
Registered
174 Posts
My biggest gripe with my LE hv is that they gave it such a brittle stiff ride and all of the resulting rattles. I am guessing that they wanted a trucky ride to go with the trucky styling. It gets worse in the long cold winters here. I suspect that the shocks stiffen in the cold, and all the hard plastic panels and whatever else gets extra stiff in the old and rattles al the more. My 2500 lb. 2000 Corolla is far superior at smoothing over patches, expansion joints and manhole covers compared to this 1200 lb heavier RAV4. I have the low end 17 inch wheels which have largest possible tire sidewalls on the RAV4 lineup. I can't imagine what the lower profile tires on larger wheels on the fancier models must be like. The generally beat up crap quality roads here in Colorado makes the whole rattle issue way worse too.

My nemesis noise is in the back according to a friend who crawled all around the interior and says that the noise is coming from the right rear. ( I have hearing in only one ear, so I have no directional perception.) This noise responds to the shocks that the suspension feeds into the body, but it also gets louder at higher speeds, and in one instance it corresponded precisely with the rise and fall of a wind gust. When the sloppy season here is finally over about June first, I am getting under the car and looking for things like underbody panels that might be loose and things that look like they could be affected by airflow. My friend found a rattle in the dash that I cannot hear, and found a way to stop it, but if I can't hear it, why bother?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a rattle I thought was in the moon roof area. It was the passenger side seat belt adjustment. I slide it down from it's original position and that worked.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a rattle in the sunroof area... turned out to be my sunglasses in the overhead storage area
I had rattle at right rear between back seat and cargo area, turned out to be a defective shock, about a month later had same noise but was on the left side, same thing another defective shock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you figure out the issue for this?? Mine seems to be rattling from this area/sunroof area.
I had both rear shocks replaced, both made a rattling noise in rear. Started out with noise on right rear, about a month later had same noise on left rear. Turned out both shocks were defective. Nice a quite now, no rattles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My biggest gripe with my LE hv is that they gave it such a brittle stiff ride and all of the resulting rattles. I am guessing that they wanted a trucky ride to go with the trucky styling. It gets worse in the long cold winters here. I suspect that the shocks stiffen in the cold, and all the hard plastic panels and whatever else gets extra stiff in the old and rattles al the more. My 2500 lb. 2000 Corolla is far superior at smoothing over patches, expansion joints and manhole covers compared to this 1200 lb heavier RAV4. I have the low end 17 inch wheels which have largest possible tire sidewalls on the RAV4 lineup. I can't imagine what the lower profile tires on larger wheels on the fancier models must be like. The generally beat up crap quality roads here in Colorado makes the whole rattle issue way worse too.

My nemesis noise is in the back according to a friend who crawled all around the interior and says that the noise is coming from the right rear. ( I have hearing in only one ear, so I have no directional perception.) This noise responds to the shocks that the suspension feeds into the body, but it also gets louder at higher speeds, and in one instance it corresponded precisely with the rise and fall of a wind gust. When the sloppy season here is finally over about June first, I am getting under the car and looking for things like underbody panels that might be loose and things that look like they could be affected by airflow. My friend found a rattle in the dash that I cannot hear, and found a way to stop it, but if I can't hear it, why bother?
I had both rear shocks replaced under warranty, rattle started in right rear, then about a month later had same noise on left side. Both rear shocks were defective..

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same issue and finallytracked it down to the slider doors on the sun visor mirrors rattling.
Yup, I have the same problem, if you flip the visors down the rattling stops, also my glasses in the holder rattle too.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
We own two Rav 4 Prime SE and they both have a squeak sound coming near the driver side.

I have pressed the instrument panel screen while driving but I still hear the noise especially on uneven roads.

Both share the same pitch sound and proximity on the drivers side.

I wonder if the sound is coming from the air vent far left.

Any input would be helpful.

Russ

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 2.0 AWD CVT
12 Posts
Hello,

Mine is a European version made in Japan.
I have the most annoyng rattle I've ever experienced in a car, it comes from deep behind the A/C controls. If you remove the glove compartment and hit easily on the dashboard, you can hear and see from where it is coming. It is like something is lose inside the white box with the vents and flaps.

We own two Rav 4 Prime SE and they both have a squeak sound coming near the driver side.

I have pressed the instrument panel screen while driving but I still hear the noise especially on uneven roads.

Both share the same pitch sound and proximity on the drivers side.

I wonder if the sound is coming from the air vent far left.

Any input would be helpful.

Russ

·
Registered
2021 BlizPurl Rav4 Hybrid XLE Premium wJBL
70 Posts
Turns out the vibration noise rattle came from the Toyota OEM Roof Rack Cross Bars.

There is play in the cross bars that permit them to move side to side.

Two T25 torx screws hold each end of the bar for a total of eight screws.

The screws have an outer flange. This flange prevents the screws from tightening the cross bars to a point where they don't rattle and move from side to side.

I think those torx screws are missing either a lock washer or a rubber washer.

I took everything apart and removed the rails entirely and the noise disappeared.

One tip --- if you decide to add lock washers or just a plan cut washer, you'll need to first remove those eight T25 screws. Toyota used a pretty powerful thread locker adhesive. Make sure you really bear straight down on those screws as you break that thread lock seal.

A washer or a lock washer should be added to the bottom of these screws, in order to sufficiently tighten them so the cross bars can't move side to side. Without a washer the screws can't be tightened enough.

Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Composite material Metal

The screws require a T25 bit. The thread lock that Toyota used is quite strong -- you have to torque them pretty hard in order to break that thread locker bond.

Grey Asphalt Automotive tire Material property Automotive exterior

21 - 37 of 37 Posts