Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Rav4 Limited with about 30k miles.
The internal body integrity issues are pis*ing me off.

I just took a trip, 10 hours up, 10 hours back with a constant rattle above the drivers sunshade.
This is new and I couldn't find or stop the source of noise.

I have a job that requires sensitive hearing... I have decent ears to find it. It was not the shade itself or the plastic shade catch. It's located between the inner ceiling material and the external roof.

I've already been to the dealer 3 times about different cabin noises.

The first center vent dash noise that was "fixed," is still there. It's intermittent and will return on occasion but not often
enough so mechanics can replicate the issue.

Test driving this car, it was quiet as a mouse other than normal road noise.

I've owned 8 Toyotas and internal body integrity was never an issue.

Upon close inspection, my wife's 2012 Venza has a section
of the interior dash that over time, has literally warped, mis-aligning itself with another piece.

These and other quality based issues, coupled with a lack of response for maintenance on all 4 of our Toyotas
from the local dealer is just lame. The service staff are nice, friendly people. Yet, I've had to leave a message with the service manager the past two times because no one from service would return calls or email within two days. Why do we get reminders in the postal mail for service maintenance if you won't elicit a response?

Sorry for the soapbox bitc*fest. This is a good time for a change. If I were to continue with the Toyota line
it would be a Lexus and not a Toyota. If I find the right vehicle, I'm leaving Toyota for good. This car may be traded. If it is, I feel sad for whoever gets it. I'll keep you updated.

Have a nice day.
Love, Styles

·
Registered
134 Posts
Styles, questions for you on the sunroof rattle. Does the noise go away when 1) you tilt the sunroof open and 2) when the car has been sitting in hot sun all day?
I had a rattle i also could not pinpoint until recently. I found it was the sunroof when driving over a road where i always hear the rattle and i didn't hear it one day. I had the sunroof tilted up. Closed the sunroof and drove down the road again and the rattle was back.
Also, when the car sits in the hot sun for a while its quiet as a church mouse. After its parked in the shade for a while the sunroof rattles going over every bump.
Researched it on the internet and it seems to be a common issue. Tried a bunch of different fixes i read about and so far nothing has worked. Thinking about bringing it to the dealer but not sure if i want them pulling off my headliner.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I tend to think of myself as the most obsessive when it comes to noises. Every car I've had has exhibited rattles and other noises, especially after the car sits in the parking garage all day in heat and humidity. They tend to quiet down a bit after the car cools off, although I sometimes keep the window cracked just so the wind noise drowns out the rattles. If you go hunting for the one brand or model that doesn't make any noise, you'll never find it. The owner of the local Lotus dealer told me that even Lotus and Lamborghini interiors squeak.

My moonroof rattles over certain pavement when the car is hot. I've also had a rattle from around the driver's seatbelt height adjustment area. I've pulled that area apart multiple times with limited luck. I have a '16 Limited.

I doubt that Lexus would be any less rattly - my guess is that the assembly process and part quality are probably about the same.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. Mine isn't a sunroof issue. The noise is coming from around the driver side sun visor.
To compound the problem, it's an intermittent issue. Driving today, it made no noise whatsoever.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My wife and have owned 8 Toyotas and 1 Lexus. We used to be lifetime Toyota people. My very first car was a 1982 Corolla.

We've NEVER had the incredible amount of creaking, rattling and tapping sounds that I've had in the interior of this 2013 Rav4. The interior materials are cheap and the assembly is poorly engineered. This crapfest started at only 1k miles.

Since my last post, I have yet another tapping sound emanating from around the AC vent/ Head unit area.

This makes 4 distinct intermittent creaking, rattling and tapping noises.

As of yesterday, the moonroof interior sliding cover is now STICKING and I have to force it to work.

You won't find me in another Toyota. Although the motors and transmissions are wonderful, what good is it if the interior cabin noises are beyond annoying? Interior quality is gone, POS.

Toyota is now competing with Korean made vehicles
that are better quality, lower prices, have more features and superior tech packages.

One last thing, the airbag shrapnel recall for my sons 2008 Corolla has never been fixed. C _ _ _ _S_ _ _ _ _ _ Toyota has supposedly ordered the part but months later who knows? They have left apology emails and phone calls for not returning my calls regarding basic maintenance!
Personally, I'm looking at a Certified BMW X3. Even with higher tire and repair costs, at least the service department calls you back.

Here is a fast tapping sound that showed up several weeks ago. You can hear it well around the :11 second mark onward:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I also had a rattle in the visor area ( I thought) but it turned out to be a bracket in the sunroof. Dealer fixed under warranty. It was the piece that pops up as it slides open.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts