Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ski season is approaching and I'm wondering if anyone has used cable chains on the 18" wheels with 235-55-18s. Several of the haunts that I frequent require that you have them, and if the weather is even slightly threatening will actually do a road stop and ask you to show them. Has anyone used any of these and if so, how was the installation process and were the clearances reasonable? My previous ski country vehicle was a GMC Acadia and it had incredibly tight clearance between the inner tire edge and the curve of the strut's spring seat. If the cable was not well centered and tight it could easily make contact. I'm partial to the cable products from Security Chain Co (Z, Super Z or Z6) but am interested in hearing about experiences with other brands on the 18's as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 4.3 (2007 Sport AWD) and tried Security Chain Co's "White Star" chains--the alloy, Euro-style chains. Despite being labeled for the 235-55-18s, they were too small. I have Bridgestone Dueler Alenza HT tires and they may run a bit large?

I bought Security Chain's Z cables instead (#571). Thanks to the Rav4's good AWD, I've never needed them despite living high in the mountains (I see you're in CA too) where we measure snow by the foot. I have "dry fit" the Z cables in the garage and they seem to go on easier than the White Stars and fit without rubbing, but I haven't tested them so I'm not certain.

Curious to hear others' experience.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I know the 4.3 and 4.4 share much of the chassis and suspension layout so that's very useful info. That is also interesting about the hard chains not fitting. I wonder if the cables have more adjustability built into them than actual chains because i have used a number of sets of different cables on different vehicles over the years, and not had one that didn't actually fit on the nominal tire size that its package indicated. I also have AWD, so with any luck, I'll really not have to use them much, but as you know the road stops can still insist on seeing them so I'll need to carry them on every trip to the slopes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts