Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
wheelguy said:
RAVPHO said:
I used AutoSock size 765 on my Sport, and by my calculations they should fit the Limited tires as well.

Hope that helps!
Thanks a bunch for the tip. I'm getting a pair of socks or 2, and will do my best to stay off the pavement with them :D. Seems more compact, lighter and easier than chains. I saved a couple of bucks at http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/autosock/autosock.jsp
Got the socks this week (sprang for 2 pairs). They fit nice and tight, yet easy to install. I put them on kind of crooked to see what they would do. One trip around the block, and they self-centered - just as promised in the advertising. Couldn't be more pleased - light, easy to put on/off, quiet while driving.

Be careful when choosing which model number of AutoSock to get, though, because I have found their tire size-to-sock model chart to be in error - just be sure you get AutoSock model number 765, no matter what tire size you have to choose to get that model number - IF you have the standard Yokahama 225/65R17 tires. Double check the model number is still "765" during checkout, because I have seen that suddenly change also!

Here's what it looks like on the stock Rav4 tires (Yokohama 225/65R17) on my car...

·
Registered
4 Posts
wheelguy said:
Has anyone tried a set of "tire socks" on the standard size RAV4 tires? They don't make socks specifically for the standard tires, but maybe they have a size that fits close enough?
Did you have some news about the size that fits close enough ?
I meet the same problem because i am looking for tire socks for my RAV4.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
The poster who wrote just before you said size 765 is what he used.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I called the dealer and they said for a 2017 Rav 4 (RIM SIZE: 17 inch, tire size 2 25 65 r17 that CABLES are way better than chains due to size of car. The name of part: sZ143 and its $128 at the dealer, butttt $86 when googling it.

He also said to put ONLY on the front tires. My car is 2 wheel drive (why call it a rav4 then, I know?!) and its a front wheel drive... but still they say to put on the front! BAM! Hope this helps someone

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Well of course they will tell you to put cables or chains on the front tires on a FRONT WHEEL DRIVE car. What good would they do on the back?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Get chains. Cables are over-rated and cost more in the long run.
I live in WI. I grew up here. You'd be surprised where a 2wd truck can go with a good set of chains.
4wd and chains is like driving a tank. I prefer v-bar chains for deep snow or off road and regular chains in a diamond pattern for pavement as they give a smoother ride. Chain the front if you only have one set. Chain all 4 if you have 2 sets.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I keep a set of Z chains in the RAV year round. I put a set of diamond chain in the car when I think we might be driving for a long distance and possible R3 chain controls. Never needed to install chains on our RAV.
Cheap roller cable chains are terrible. One of our pass (267) around here does not allow them. Chain control will turn you away. I have been stuck on ice in a RWD car with roller cable chains.

4wd with 1 set of chains should install them on the front. Having chains on the tires increases their overall diameter. Not sure by how much but on my truck it is enough that it does not like to disengage 4wd into 2wd because of it. I am not sure if it is over the 3% difference requirement for the 4wd on our RAVs to engage or not. 4wd system will not engage if the tire diameter front vs rear is greater than 3%. Would be bad to if the rear was chained up and you are not getting 4wd.

I do not like chaining up the fronts though. Brake induced oversteer is a common cause of spin outs during chain control.

I once saw a guy in a stuck 2wd honda CRV with chain on the back tires. I yelled at him "you need to chain up the front wheels". He yells back "duhhh RWD". I was going to help him too. But I just laughed and kept on driving.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts