Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen and Ladies,

I know, its been quite awhile since I was on here. Ski season will do that to a person. Also, attempting to buy the needed photo/computer also kinda breaks the bank. So, now, I am just saying screw it, the Rav needs a present.

So on with the question.

Firstly, Drifter, you got your Secret Weapon yet? Was curious on performance. It is a front runner on the list (actually the only one at this point).

Really the question comes to isolating the air source for the intake. Since I am leaving it NA and only doing minor mods (in a year it should be a winter/hauling only vehicle) I am doing a CAI first. The plan is to get a secret weapon with a ram air kit, then mount the ram's intake spot next to the headlight exactly where the stock kit is placed. For those of you not in the know, there is a gap between the hood and headlight that air passes trough, this is where the stock intake is grabbing air.

Now then, I have friends who do metal work, so I plan to build a small box or sleeve to isolate this air. No plans drawn up yet, this is still theoretical. I need to go look inside the bay again to make sure it works even in theory.

Sound good?

I know the first thing mensa will prolly ask is why I don't mount it in the splash gaurd. I just don't trust it. I live in an area where snow can easily get to the level of my hood. The stock position worked just fine. It seems to get decent air (why else would toyota use it?). The other thought is underneath the headlight. Replacing it with a black mesh. Thoughts?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well i made a really cheapo cai for my rav i don't even know if you'd call it a cai hehe well i didn't really change much in my intake i left it stock... now to figure out how could i get cool air to the air inlet of the stock airbox... well i saw a small space near the opening of the intake right in between the radiator and the headlight... managed to squeeze in a small flex tube there roughly about two inches diameter (i know it may be too small but i guess that can put a lil more air to the intake) now the tube came out the gap of the bumper now i got a plastic bottle sawed it off the middle and a lil on the top stick it to where the tube comes out in the bumper and voila a cheapo cai that i dunno if it would work but it's worth a try type of thing... :roll:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol, now who did it first? I remember this idea from waaaaay back. Wouldn't be suprised if it came from the warped mind of Andrew actually.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there a thread on this? Franco, did you write one? Perhaps plans or template for the scoop? I am thinking of doing taht portion also. Although using the secret weapon I could just put the intake hose right up to it, looks to be about the same size.

Pancake, thanks for the thread on the air box removal, I will be doin that as soon as I order and receive my intake.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I plan on making the scoop out of fiberglass.

I'm going to stop by michaels and buy that green foam used for fake plants and cut it into the shape of the scoop.

Then I'll stick the extra piece from my intake over the foam to make perfect 3" circle. Then fiberglass over the foam.

When I finish I'll take some pics of it outside the car and mounted inside.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts