Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've got a '96 RAV4, FWD, 4 door. Recently replaced rear trailing arm bushings and installed new rear struts.

Prior to this, rear tires always wore out quick on the inside edge.

I've got new tires all around now.

I'm still seeing some /----\ in the rear, which may be excessive negative camber, so not sure if the new struts fixed the problem. I don't know if it's excessive... it seems to be slight.

I'm confused... is this something an alignment shop can look into? (I have no experience w/ getting wheels aligned.) Do I need some other part in order to adjust the camber, or can this be done w/ existing cam bolt (provided it is not rusted to hell)? Will an alignment shop know how to deal with this old car?

much thanks,
JC

·
Registered
1998 Rav4, manual transmission, 2WD, JDM engine installed in 2013
718 Posts
For my 1998 FWD, 4-door Rav4, I had one alignment done a year ago and another alignment done recently after messing with the shocks. As far as I can tell, yes, the rear wheels' two existing "camber adjust cam lock bolts" are adjusted. No other parts are needed. The day before each alignment I sprayed my Rav's cam lock bolts (and all other relevant bolts) with a little PB Blaster for a bit of insurance the technician would have minimal hassle. A year ago I paid $76 to an independent shop specialized in alignments. Recently I paid $107 to Pep Boys. Both seemed to do a good job.

Sounds like you know what you are talking about, but for the archives, page 7 of the attachment shows the cam lock bolt location.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent info, thanks, and very quick reply! I will look for those lock bolts and hit them with some BREAK AWAY penetrating lubricant that I have, and then call around and see who can do the alignment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts