Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a little imagination and a lot of help from a carpenter, I rigged up a camping platform. Ive taken a few trips since it was built and it’s the perfect camping solution. A good friend gave me the shelter after listening to me ramble about my attempts to build a PVC tarp frame to attach to the roof rack. I built it, but it was noisy and not all that user friendly. The shelter is perfect for privacy, shade, and keeping me dry on rainy nights.
The plywood for the platform was the only lumber purchase. Everything else was scrap from other projects or from pallets that I picked up for free and disassembled. The biggest expense was the hardware.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Very nice setup. One of the reasons we bought a RAV4 was to have room to bring all of our stuff camping and still have a smaller vehicle, we tented a lot, packing and incredible amount of stuff (650 lbs including bikes hanging off the back) then bought a really small soft top 1960s tent trailer. Loving it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I Picked the RAV4 for the same reason. When I arrived for my test drive the salesman was rather taken aback when my first test was to make sure my Felt road bike would fit in the cargo space. It’s got tons of room for the size. I was worried that I might get a bit claustrophobic sleeping in the back, but even at 5’9’ I fit pretty comfortably. Happy camping and safe travels!

·
Registered
64 Posts
A few of us did a write up about loading mountain bikes inside. If you search "Carrying Mountain Bikes inside the Rav" You can check it out. We did two long trips like this, two bikes inside and still almost half the cargo area left for luggage. I'm very 5'9" too t so everything fit to my seat adjustment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts