Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I am looking to decide between a Camry hybrid and a rav 4 hybrid (not prime because it's not available widely and expensive).

My main criteria is safety and reliability. Mostly this is to be used as a commuter car and in traffic for 45min to an hour (when everything opens up again).

Which car should I buy? thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
475 Posts
1) Test drive both, see which seems MORE comfortable.
2) Inquire w/ current insurance company for insurance costs of each car.
3) Maintenance costs.
4) If financing, Toyota might have better deal/rates for one vehicle, but not the other.

Can't go wrong w/ either, as both good vehicles and reliable. Splitting hairs. It's what matters to you.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Hybrid XLE
163 Posts
Last year I was in a similar predicament, but one of the deal breakers was no availability of AWD in the Camry hybrid. The other was ground clearance - after getting used to another AWD crossover, a sedan just felt too low to the ground. Cargo capacity put the final nail in the Camry’s coffin for me. I just wouldn’t be able to haul as much camping gear in a Camry as I can with the RAV4.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I’d guess the Camry is more comfortable and, without checking the stats, better on gas perhaps?

I’d consider the RAV4 a superior vehicle in every other way.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I’d guess the Camry is more comfortable and, without checking the stats, better on gas perhaps?

I’d consider the RAV4 a superior vehicle in every other way.
My wife had a 2020 (not hybrid) Camry rental for a short period, and I'll take the RAV4 for comfort because I prefer the more truck like seating. The Camry just felt too low to the ground. In a quick comparison of the two from what I saw and from what I see on specs (like hybrid economy):
Camry- more passenger room (back seat), better MPGs, I'd assume a little better acceleration, smoother ride overall.
RAV4- more cargo space, more ground clearance, better for towing/hauling, shorter length (makes parking easier and may determine if it fits in a garage).

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi All, I am looking to decide between a Camry hybrid and a rav 4 hybrid (not prime because it's not available widely and expensive).
My main criteria is safety and reliability. Mostly this is to be used as a commuter car and in traffic for 45min to an hour (when everything opens up again).
My daughter bought a 2020 Camry Hybrid XLE and debated between RAV4 and Camry. She liked the style and discount more on the Camry so she bought that. As far as maintenance and reliability go they are about the same. Camry would be slightly cheaper and more reliable since it does not have AWD system. If you live in northern USA states, I would get a RAV4 because of AWD capability. Camry hybrid delivers consistent 45+ MPG which is better than RAV4’s 38+MPG. Power on gas Camry is not that smooth and refined compared to hybrid Camry. I think a RAV4 is a safer vehicle because the bumper is at a higher height compared to a Camry.

·
Registered
2020 Rav4 Hybrid Limited w/ATP/Cold Weather/Roof Rack
27 Posts
thank you for the great responses. Is anyone worried about the safety?

safety rating for Rav4 is only 4 stars for frontal crash and 4 stars for rollovers. Camry gets 5 star in everything.

www.nhtsa.gov

2021 TOYOTA RAV4 SUV FWD

www.nhtsa.gov
www.nhtsa.gov
This is to be expected as the Rav4's center of gravity is going to be higher than the Camry and the potential of additional weight being ontop due to the nature of the vehicle when people put things like Roof rack related things.

As mentioned before, it will depend on what you are looking for.

I went away from sedan models because of the problem I had with other people's parking near me, and my 5'10 frame, trying to go into sedan when people literally decide to park too close to me makes getting into the car difficult.

The Camry will have the better MPG as it is lower profile in comparison to the Rav4, but won't have as much of an inside cargo space that the Rav4 will, nor suited for any off-road like terrain driving if you are inclined to do so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ve had 2 Camry hybrids (07 & 14.5) and now have a 2020 Rav4 hybrid with only 3.5k miles on it so far The Camry and Rav4 power trains are now identical so they are even there. Both are available with AWD if desired (and won’t cost you anything in gas mileage or reliability). I drive mostly suburban and am already up to 45.9 mpg. The gas mileage difference shouldn’t be more than 2-4 mpg. The Camry will be slightly more comfortable but the Rav4 is a much more versatile vehicle (folding the rear seats gives you a large rear area for carrying bulky items). Both are quiet on the highway. Safety features are equal on both. I really like the Blind Side Warning system. Bottom line: Either will cost about the same to run and maintain. It’s a close call and you’ll be happy with either.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My wife had a 2015 Camry Hybrid XLE that she liked but preferred the higher seating and better visibility of our Limited Sienna van so when she went shopping for a replacement for the Camry (it was totaled after being rear ended by a kid on the phone driving an SUV) she decided that the RAV4 AWD hybrid was the best vehicle for her. Bottom line, she is very happy with it. It has good visibility, good driver's seat, comfortable ride (though not a soft as the Camry's was), lots of storage space, and it fits a full sized spare tire, (Note. The passenger seat on her fully loaded RAV4 Limited is manual with no lumbar or height adjustment so if you travel any significant distance with a passenger, the Camry power passenger seat wins hands down).

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,571 Posts
I currently have a '19 Rav4 Hybrid and an '21 Avalon Hybrid. His car versus her car. Both loaded. So not an exact comparison to the Camry. But close. I'd almost never take her car but sometimes she needs the trunk space in mine.

She prefers the lower seats in the Avalon for getting in and out. I much prefer the Rav4's higher seats. Which is why you and any family should try before you buy. Do comparisons on the Toyota web site as there are things on my car that aren't on hers even though hers is newer and also fully optioned.

·
Registered
454 Posts
If you want to get into splitting hairs it is easier to wash and wax a sedan vs an SUV and tires cost less for a sedan than an SUV.

I am a large man, 6'5" and after owning an SUV and a truck I just can't drive a sedan for longer than an hour. I miss the land yacht sedans with bench seats like my grandmother's 1979 Buick that was like driving a sofa.

·
Registered
2020 XLE Hybrid
87 Posts

Since we're spending your money, I suggest getting the most expensive one with all of the options, plus the extended warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you want to get into splitting hairs it is easier to wash and wax a sedan vs an SUV and tires cost less for a sedan than an SUV.

I am a large man, 6'5" and after owning an SUV and a truck I just can't drive a sedan for longer than an hour. I miss the land yacht sedans with bench seats like my grandmother's 1979 Buick that was like driving a sofa.
Camry is long though. Much longer than a Rav4. We would have an issue it fitting in our garage, which is why our choice was Corolla vs Rav4.

·
Registered
708 Posts
If a quiet cabin matters to you, all else being equal, a sedan is quieter than a SUV because the rear wheel noise is isolated from the cabin in a sedan while in an SUV it would take a huge amount of sound deadening material to keep it out...and the Rav doesn't have a lot of sound deadening. Just another factor to consider.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts