Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Since we're spending your money, I suggest getting the most expensive one with all of the options, plus the extended warranty.
I traded in a Camry for the RAV4 Hybrid AWD. Both good reliable cars. I continually worry that, in an accident, all of the unsecured luggage (stuff) in the rear of a SUV or hatchback will fly forward and hit the driver in the back of the head. I tie everything down. For that reason, I feel that the Camry, which has quite a large boot, is safer.

·
Registered
273 Posts
OP, if you are a DIY type of owner. Go with the RAV4 Hybrid. There is more room to work with and as you get up there in mileage, it’s much easier to get to the rear strut towers on the RAV4.

·
Registered
RAV4 XLE Hybrid
33 Posts
I looked at both the Camry and RAV4 hybrids as well as Honda Accord and CRV hybrids. The Toyota dealer near me had a poor selection of Camry hybrids, and the colors/trims I liked were actually more expensive than the RAV4. I would have chosen the Honda Accord over the Camry because of better selection in colors and trims. However, in the end the RAV4 hybrid seemed like the best value and better suited my lifestyle— taking dog to places to walk, camping, yardwork, and traveling with lots of luggage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi All, I am looking to decide between a Camry hybrid and a rav 4 hybrid (not prime because it's not available widely and expensive).

My main criteria is safety and reliability. Mostly this is to be used as a commuter car and in traffic for 45min to an hour (when everything opens up again).

Which car should I buy? thanks for your advice.
I had to make the same decision and bought the rav4 because of the AWD. I have a little more room inside and with my lead foot make slightly better mpg than my 2012 camry hybrid

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi All, I am looking to decide between a Camry hybrid and a rav 4 hybrid (not prime because it's not available widely and expensive).

My main criteria is safety and reliability. Mostly this is to be used as a commuter car and in traffic for 45min to an hour (when everything opens up again).

Both great cars. Choice depends on usage. Commute suggests Camry (or Avalon Hybrid). Cargo practicality says RAV4. Don't rule out Prime; Feds and states return big bucks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I lease a new car every three years. Recently turned in a 2018 Camry SE for a 2021 Rav4 Hybrid XLE. The Camry was smoother, more comfortable. The Rav has much better visibility, cargo space. The increased visibility on freeway was a big factor to me going to Rav. Drive them both and you cannot go wrong with either. You mentioned Camry hybrid so this wouldn't be a problem but I disliked the Camry 4 cyl with 8 speed transmission. It would slow down on any slight incline unless cruise control used.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid XLE w/ custom leather
12 Posts

I was recently faced with the same dilemma. I had a '07 Camry hybrid that I'd bought new. It was getting long in the tooth in 2018 so I went shopping. Compared '18 Camry hybrid to '18 Accord hybrid and favored the Accord. But after owning it for a couple of years I just couldn't love it. So I went shopping again. Tried RAV4 hybrid. Loved it. Easier to get into and out of. Plenty of get-up-and-go. Great fuel economy. EPA says 40. I'm consistently getting 42. Delighted with the RAV4 hybrid.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had a 2019 Camry SE non hybrid and absolutely hated the car. It was jerky when accelerating and the dealer never did fix it. I ended up trading it in for a 2021 RAV4 and I love it. Smooth ride, good acceleration which is strange since the RAV4 uses the same engine and transmission as the Camry.

I have to recommend the RAV4.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Somewhat related, I’m of the opinion that Americans want station wagons deep down but largely refuse to admit it, hence SUVs. Living up here in snow country, the ground clearance of a RAV4 becomes genuinely useful. Wagons provide most of the utility of SUVs and I assume would be more fuel efficient being lower to the ground.

·
Registered
3 Posts
1) Test drive both, see which seems MORE comfortable.
2) Inquire w/ current insurance company for insurance costs of each car.
3) Maintenance costs.
4) If financing, Toyota might have better deal/rates for one vehicle, but not the other.

Can't go wrong w/ either, as both good vehicles and reliable. Splitting hairs. It's what matters to you.
I have a 2021 RAV4 Hybrid XSE. I am getting close to 50 MPG and couldn't be happier and it takes regular gas. The seats are comfortable and the safety features are outstanding. The RAV4 is roomy in the back and the seats fold down if needed. The first thing you need to determine is if you prefer a small SUV or a sedan....either way, you cannot go wrong. BTW, I own 3 RAV4's: 2008, 2017, and 2021 so they do last.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Somewhat related, I’m of the opinion that Americans want station wagons deep down but largely refuse to admit it, hence SUVs. Living up here in snow country, the ground clearance of a RAV4 becomes genuinely useful. Wagons provide most of the utility of SUVs and I assume would be more fuel efficient being lower to the ground.
Funny.

I have always been of the opinion that SUVs are nothing more than station wagons on steroids. 95% of SUVs don’t see dirt b/c Most drivers just drive in urban/suburban areas. The 5% that see dirt are the 4x4 fanatics.

·
Registered
454 Posts
The more upright seating position is what sells me on SUVs.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Wife wanted a car when looking for our last vehicle. I almost had to roll out on my knees and stand up when exiting the ones we looked at. I don't think so Tim!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Wife had a Toyota Prius that was totaled. She bought a 2018 Accord Hybrid. It was okay but not really great. I bought a 2019 RAV4 XSE hybrid. Wife liked its much more she traded the Accord in for a 2020 XSE. reasons. the XSE sits higher and you have better visibility. Also it is easier to get in and out of the SUV vs a lower sitting sedan. and it is more conformable for both of us.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I faced this choice 9 months ago when ordering the RAV4 - got it finally 2 months ago.

The big question for us was could it tow? We had decided on a hybrid but then found NO current Toyota hybrid is warranteed in Australia for towing anything more than a small empty trailer or maybe a jet ski EXCEPT and RAV4 AWD hybrid. Its there is the specifications but it was hard to pin down. The reasons were very hard to find too but at a guess its all about optimisation of breaking. The third motor allows more flexibility. Anyway we have towed the trailer - 250 kg with the ride on mower - about the same - unbraked - and it all went well.

·
Registered
2021 XLE Premium Hybrid + JBL
72 Posts
Funny.

I have always been of the opinion that SUVs are nothing more than station wagons on steroids. 95% of SUVs don’t see dirt b/c Most drivers just drive in urban/suburban areas. The 5% that see dirt are the 4x4 fanatics.
Yup! I wish automakers would make (Hybrid) station wagon versions of things like the Camry or Accord (I think both were many moons ago). For folks that don't need the ground clearance, they'd be more practical than a sedan, get better mileage than an SUV, and have more room than a hatchback. For high mileage hybrids, our choices now are small hatchbacks (Prius/Ioniq/Insight), sedans (Camry/Accord/etc.), or SUVs. A few years ago, we bought an Outback because it was the most station-wagon like vehicle we could find, not looking like a typical SUV, even though it's considered an SUV. Most of my driving doesn't need the ground clearance, but when I need it on forest roads, I NEED it. I'm sure glad Toyota has figured out how to make a 40+mpg AWD SUV with decent ground clearance.

The other reason SUVs are so common is that they're considered light trucks by CAFE standards, so don't count towards a manufacturer's Passenger Car CAFE. Most manufacturers call things SUVs because of this loophole.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts