Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Just purchased a 1998 Rav 4 2.0GX Automatic for my wife, but the valve train appears to be extremely niosy.
The mileage is 101, 000.
When purchased the oil had not been changed for some time, so this was changed, the engine flushed and a valve lifter additive was also added to the oil.
The niose seems to be very loud when the engine starts from cold and the valve clearances are all near the top end of the range, but within it, there is no visible deterioration on the cam lobes.
As the engine warms up the noise then sounds like it could be just one valve/lifter, but is persistent and quite loud, although not always noticeable when inside the car and driving.
I didn't expect a Toyota Engine to be this noisy, has anyone else had a similar experience, or can anyone point me in the direction of a cure?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Seems like you did what I would do so if rebuilding the top end is not in the cards then maybe you'll just have to live with it.
Higher milage usually means more noise from the motor but not in every case. May just have been the lack of attention paid to changing the oil as needed. Damage is done. Now the question is do you want to fix it or live with it? Don't waste alot of money adding all sorts of stuff to the engine to quite it down. Save that money and put it towards a rebuilt head instead. I'm sure your rig will be fine. From my college days, when my VW got noisier I just turned up the radio a little more. :lol:
Save up. Later. M. :D

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
As you can see I have a 1997 3SFe engine. I also was a little anode regarding the rattling valve train. so I just installed a larger, better yet an aftermarket oil cooler. With it, the engine does 5 quarts of oil. Lowering its temp in hot traffic, It always has viscosity rich oil at all times. I never have to pure more oil between oil changes.

This is the exact one that I used. While your at it, the gearbox will also give you years of care free service. This is a two in one gear and engine oil cooler.

http://www.derale.com/engineoilcoolers.shtml
Check at the bottom of this link.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
mensajero said:
As you can see I have a 1997 3SFe engine. I also was a little anode regarding the rattling valve train. so I just installed a larger, better yet an aftermarket oil cooler. With it, the engine does 5 quarts of oil. Lowering its temp in hot traffic, It always has viscosity rich oil at all times. I never have to pure more oil between oil changes.

This is the exact one that I used. While your at it, the gearbox will also give you years of care free service. This is a two in one gear and engine oil cooler.

http://www.derale.com/engineoilcoolers.shtml
Check at the bottom of this link.
BTW, you will need the larger Toyota oil filter. Which means when you go to your local toyota dealer, ask for the V6 oil filter. The smaller RAV4 oil filter is too small to cover the aluminum plate that comes with the kit. This is fine since it already needs 5 quarts of oil. It will work excellent. i have mine installed for about 5 years. :wink: It works awesome.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know what's wrong with your engine dude.

There are no knockers on the 3S-FE engine. But the noise you hear comes from the valves themselves. The previous owner must have disregard all sorts of maintenance for this vehicle and stuff up the entire engine. You have to remove the 3S-FE rocker cover and see for yourself what's going on. I reckon the valve shafts are a bit worn and needs replacing. Once you do that, might as well replace the valve stem seals and a few other seals.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
kidong said:
I know what's wrong with your engine dude.

There are no knockers on the 3S-FE engine. But the noise you hear comes from the valves themselves. The previous owner must have disregard all sorts of maintenance for this vehicle and stuff up the entire engine. You have to remove the 3S-FE rocker cover and see for yourself what's going on. I reckon the valve shafts are a bit worn and needs replacing. Once you do that, might as well replace the valve stem seals and a few other seals.
That hurt$. Coming from kidong, you can go to the bank right now. :roll:

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try some Auto-Rx. A lot of people have used it with great results. At 100k miles, it really shouldn't need that kind of work. If it does, then the $25 you spent on the Auto-Rx won't really have mattered. It is a long term engine cleaner, safer and more effetive than an engine power flush. Keep us posted.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think that Auto-Rx is available in the UK, I've never seen it, who manufactures it?

As far as the reply from Kidong, you may be correct, but we've had the rocker cover off and there doesn't appear to be enough oil up there for my liking.
There is oil splashed over the area near to the gears that drive the exhaust cam from the inlet, but the rest of the cover seems quite dry. Does anyone know if I can get hold of a diagram showing the oilways in a 3s -fe engine?

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
You can get a TOGA Hi-Performance oil pump for the 3SFE engine. My RAV4 is showing signs of a clutch change. When the engine comes out I'm installing this Oil Pump, A new Water Pump and a new ZOOM Clutch.

You can get Performance parts at this web site. They have Pistons, Camshafts, Heads. They even have performance engine kits for the 3SFE engine.
http://www.importperformanceparts.net/imports/toga_oilpumpstoyota.html

Hope this helps, Merry Christmas :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts