Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am having a problem with the P0012 CODE have slowly been working through possible causes

now have arrived at fitting a replacement

CAMSHAFT VVTi VALVE TOYOTA 1AZ-FE FOR RAV-4 2.0 LTR 2004

Could anybody advise where it is located ? any suggestions on how to fit please.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I'll bite - you are using the shotgun approach to tackle this code? Replacing the camshaft is a big job requiring engine disassembly using special tools.

1. Verify the engine oil level and pressure is correct.

2. Locate the VVT oil control solenoid on the cylinder head. It has a 2-cavity connector with a White (+) and White/Red (-) wires. Unplug the solenoid, and with the engine running, jump battery voltage and ground to the solenoid. The engine RPM should change and the engine should run poorly or possibly stall.

3. If the RPM does not change, verify the solenoid clicks and the oil passages are not restricted. There is a 12 mm hexagon plug located below the VVT oil solenoid on the right side of the block, when that plug is removed there is an inline filter. Verify the filter is clean.

4. If the filter is clean and the VVT solenoid is working and oil pressure is good, then inspect the VVT gear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for info No if it gets to the replacing of the camshaft then

Thanks for info No if it gets to the replacing of the camshaft then it's off to the local garage - I am working with possibilities of

Dirty or low engine oil - Now I have Replaced the Oil and renewed filter

Now have the parts to swop out the

VVT OCV filter and oil control valve (OCV)

The Rav was running a little rough so have fitted new throttle pedal sensor - new throttle body - replaced the Egr boost vacuum purge solenoid valve - replaced the Air intake pipe hose to manifold - replaced a New oem Petrol Cap and new Mass Air Flow Meter Sensor.

Then the Code P0012 decided to show it's self

Can I remove the control valve first to get to the filter plug ? or is there a sequence to follow?
many thanks for your assistance there will be mush more to come
LIKE the FITTING and removal of the REAR DIFF DIFFERENTIAL MOUNTING ARM?

I'll bite - you are using the shotgun approach to tackle this code? Replacing the camshaft is a big job requiring engine disassembly using special tools.

1. Verify the engine oil level and pressure is correct.

2. Locate the VVT oil control solenoid on the cylinder head. It has a 2-cavity connector with a White (+) and White/Red (-) wires. Unplug the solenoid, and with the engine running, jump battery voltage and ground to the solenoid. The engine RPM should change and the engine should run poorly or possibly stall.

3. If the RPM does not change, verify the solenoid clicks and the oil passages are not restricted. There is a 12 mm hexagon plug located below the VVT oil solenoid on the right side of the block, when that plug is removed there is an inline filter. Verify the filter is clean.

4. If the filter is clean and the VVT solenoid is working and oil pressure is good, then inspect the VVT gear.

·
Registered
272 Posts
you don't have to replace the camshafts, I think he meant remove, but it is a lot of work

if you are going to do that, you might want to consider doing the head bolt fix on the middle three back head bolts

1 - 4 of 4 Posts