Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see the RAV4 Prime comes with a 6.6kw charger in their premium model with the most premium package only, Basically you have to get every single option on the RAV4 just to get the 6.6kw charger. Does anyone know if aftermarket a 6.6kw charger could be put in a RAV4 Prime (that’s not the highest level model)? Is it just a few parts that can be swapped out, or is it built into the whole battery so it’s not possible? And maybe software would need to be different too?

The 6.6kw charger greatly reduces charging times when charging around town.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It might be possible, but it would surely void your 10 year / 150k mile battery warranty and possibly the warranty on the whole vehicle.

Your best bet would be to import a Canadian Prime. They come standard with 6.6kw charger standard on all trims.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime, SE / 2018 Outlander PHEV
106 Posts
Just personal opinion, but with the handy gasoline generator built into the RAV4 Prime, charging time becomes less important. I charge mine each night, but if I exceed the 40 miles of EV range during the days errands, I don’t hunt up a public charging station. I just run in HV mode to finish up my trip and recharge again overnight. 4hrs on 3.3kw 220v isn’t too bad. Also a little less stressful on the battery.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just personal opinion, but with the handy gasoline generator built into the RAV4 Prime, charging time becomes less important. I charge mine each night, but if I exceed the 40 miles of EV range during the days errands, I don’t hunt up a public charging station. I just run in HV mode to finish up my trip and recharge again overnight. 4hrs on 3.3kw 220v isn’t too bad. Also a little less stressful on the battery.
While I agree with you in general.

The faster Charger would be nice for those days where you make several trips from home and keep topping it off for the short period you are there.

For example from my current real life: AS of Tuesday this week My oldest has started night school but doesn't have a license yet. 90 minutes after I get home from work, I drive him 22.5 miles one way (45 round trip) and drop him off at class at 6 pm then drive home. 2 hours later I drive back and pick him up,. a 2nd 45 mile round trip at 9 pm. Rinse Repeat 4 nights a week.

A PHEV would be great but one with a faster charger so that I could be full or almost full at the beginning of all those trips. A slower charger would be better than my current ICE but would not fully charge the battery before each trip making me run on Gas more than a faster charger would.

However if you are a one trip per day or less than 50-60 miles per day person then I agree with you.
(I think we are all guilty of assuming everyone will use the product the exact same way we will and fail to think that others lives are very very different from our own)

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime, SE / 2018 Outlander PHEV
106 Posts
While I agree with you in general.

The faster Charger would be nice for those days where you make several trips from home and keep topping it off for the short period you are there.

For example from my current real life: AS of Tuesday this week My oldest has started night school but doesn't have a license yet. 90 minutes after I get home from work, I drive him 22.5 miles one way (45 round trip) and drop him off at class at 6 pm then drive home. 2 hours later I drive back and pick him up,. a 2nd 45 mile round trip at 9 pm. Rinse Repeat 4 nights a week.

A PHEV would be great but one with a faster charger so that I could be full or almost full at the beginning of all those trips. A slower charger would be better than my current ICE but would not fully charge the battery before each trip making me run on Gas more than a faster charger would.

However if you are a one trip per day or less than 50-60 miles per day person then I agree with you.
(I think we are all guilty of assuming everyone will use the product the exact same way we will and fail to think that others lives are very very different from our own)
True... we all have different use cases. Coming from a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV with only about 25 miles of usable electric range, you learn to live by the ABC motto "Always Be Charging." That said, I still seldom used public charging stations (unless I wanted the prime parking spot downtown). I can see where faster charging would help in your situation though.

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you think you really need the 6.6 kwh charger, and really want to try that hard to not use gas when you've exceeded the 40 mile range, then you should be buying a full electric car and not a PHEV. the R4P gets near 40 mpg, a gallon of gas costs close to 2 bucks right now. If I'm driving around town, and I run out of my EV range, unless there's a free EV charger available right next to me, I'm just gonna pay the 2 bucks to keep driving on gas for another 40 miles. Most public chargers cost more than that anyways.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you think you really need the 6.6 kwh charger, and really want to try that hard to not use gas when you've exceeded the 40 mile range, then you should be buying a full electric car and not a PHEV. the R4P gets near 40 mpg, a gallon of gas costs close to 2 bucks right now. If I'm driving around town, and I run out of my EV range, unless there's a free EV charger available right next to me, I'm just gonna pay the 2 bucks to keep driving on gas for another 40 miles. Most public chargers cost more than that anyways.
Not for me. I have range anxiety. I drive out of town too much and live in the mid west were there is zero infrastructure and I don't want to have LONG stops that often. PHEV gives me the best of both worlds. EV 95% of the time and 100% of the convince of ICE when I leave town.

I can't afford 2 cars to have an EV and a out of town car too.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not for me. I have range anxiety. I drive out of town too much and live in the mid west were there is zero infrastructure and I don't want to have LONG stops that often. PHEV gives me the best of both worlds. EV 95% of the time and 100% of the convince of ICE when I leave town.

I can't afford 2 cars to have an EV and a out of town car too.
Just wondering, how much is your gas and how much is your electricity. I bet the gas still works out cheaper right now.

Here in CA, I'm still saving money by using EV, but only at home. Once out and about, I'm going to be paying more than just using the ICE.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I live in Wichita Kansas.
Energy charge (per kWh)SummerWinter
Per first 500 kWh per month
$0.073512$0.073512
Per next 400 kWh per month
$0.073512$0.073512
Over 900 kWh per month
$0.081088$0.060089

so 15.4 Kw cost $1.24 to fill up the Rav4 Prime. That gets 40 miles.

So as long as gas is more than $1.24/gallon Electricity is cheaper here at least. Currently Gas is running on average $1.90 or if you are near a Sams and have a membership $1.72

·
Registered
115 Posts
$0.073512$0.073512
$0.073512$0.073512
Over 900 kWh per month
$0.081088$0.060089

So as long as gas is more than $1.24/gallon Electricity is cheaper here at least. Currently Gas is running on average $1.90 or if you are near a Sams and have a membership $1.72
Lol, add a dime to the Electricity, and a $1 to the gas here in CA where I am at!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Don't forget that gas with ethanol doesn't last as long as pure gas, got to use some gas. With the covid 19 restrictions I worried about the gas in my HV going bad.

·
Registered
414 Posts
$0.073512$0.073512
$0.073512$0.073512
Over 900 kWh per month
$0.081088$0.060089

Is that cost just energy cost or does it include the transmission charge to deliver it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
FYI, per the manual the computer will remind you to burn gas via the message -
“No New Fuel has been Added Recently Please refuel”. It also recommends burning a whopping 5.3 gal every 12 months, lol. I would definitely add a fuel stabilizer and keep at least 3/4 tank just to keep condensation from being an issue. Page 91 if interested in more details.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is that cost just energy cost or does it include the transmission charge to deliver it.
Honest answer is.... I think that is electricity only.(that was a copy paste from the electric company's page)
There is a transmission charge on my bill but it isn't definitively broken down per kWh. There is also a Fuel Charge again not defined or broken down.
Full disclosure my last 3 electric bills

June - 793 kWh Transmission - $12.33 Fuel Charge - $14.51 Energy Use - $58.30 = $0.10733 / kWh TOTAL Bill - $107.70
July - 1397 kWh Transmission - $21.72 Fuel Charge - $25.57 Energy Use - $104.65 = $0.10876 / kWh TOTAL Bill - $179.98
Aug - 1307 kWh Transmission - $20.32 Fuel Charge - $24.84 Energy Use - $99.16 = $0.11042 / kWh TOTAL Bill - $171.71

So maybe $0.11 / kWh average?

That brings Electricity cost up to $1.69 to Drive 40 miles or as long as gas is higher than $1.69 Electricity is cheaper in my situation.

I am just waiting for gas to hit $4+ / gallon again.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Honest answer is.... I think that is electricity only.(that was a copy paste from the electric company's page)
There is a transmission charge on my bill but it isn't definitively broken down per kWh. There is also a Fuel Charge again not defined or broken down.
Full disclosure my last 3 electric bills

June - 793 kWh Transmission - $12.33 Fuel Charge - $14.51 Energy Use - $58.30 = $0.10733 / kWh TOTAL Bill - $107.70
July - 1397 kWh Transmission - $21.72 Fuel Charge - $25.57 Energy Use - $104.65 = $0.10876 / kWh TOTAL Bill - $179.98
Aug - 1307 kWh Transmission - $20.32 Fuel Charge - $24.84 Energy Use - $99.16 = $0.11042 / kWh TOTAL Bill - $171.71

So maybe $0.11 / kWh average?

That brings Electricity cost up to $1.69 to Drive 40 miles or as long as gas is higher than $1.69 Electricity is cheaper in my situation.

I am just waiting for gas to hit $4+ / gallon again.

Just feel lucky. Out here in Hawaii average is over 30 cents/kwh (and I'm on the most populated Island. Some of the other remote islands are over 40 cents/kwh) and gas is currently around $3.15/gallon or so.

I believe Hawaii is the most saturated with residential solar....and you can see why.

Can someone explain to me if a plug in hybrid would make sense for me? I honestly don't know how to do the math. Our numbers are always so far out in left field compared to everyone else.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just feel lucky. Out here in Hawaii average is over 30 cents/kwh (and I'm on the most populated Island. Some of the other remote islands are over 40 cents/kwh) and gas is currently around $3.15/gallon or so.

View attachment 156735

I believe Hawaii is the most saturated with residential solar....and you can see why.

Can someone explain to me if a plug in hybrid would make sense for me? I honestly don't know how to do the math. Our numbers are always so far out in left field compared to everyone else.
31.04 cents and the RAV4 prime battery is 18.1 kWh (probably can't use all this though), but just for arguments sake use these numbers. So 31.04 cents x 18.1 kWh = $5.62 to fully charge. And the estimated range is 42 miles. So $5.62 to go 42 miles....

·
Registered
15 Posts
31.04 cents and the RAV4 prime battery is 18.1 kWh (probably can't use all this though), but just for arguments sake use these numbers. So 31.04 cents x 18.1 kWh = $5.62 to fully charge. And the estimated range is 42 miles. So $5.62 to go 42 miles....
AFAIK, the prime saves the last 30% of battery charge as to not deplete it completely, effectively, only about 12.5 KW/h are used for a 42 mile range, so charging 12.5 kw/h should cost $3.88

Could I also asume that the terrain on Oahu is probably a bit "Hilly", and will impact the range a bit. I know the descents generate power back into the battery, but that is not 100% efficient so there will be some degree of loss there.

dp

·
Registered
115 Posts
Can I ask where you have seen the 30%? I know we never use 100% of the battery. Assumption would be 10% on the bottom and 10% on top on my part is left to protect the battery. But there is a an easy way to find out. Does anyone have a smart charger that shows how much is being added during a full charge when plugged in?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can I ask where you have seen the 30%? I know we never use 100% of the battery. Assumption would be 10% on the bottom and 10% on top on my part is left to protect the battery. But there is a an easy way to find out. Does anyone have a smart charger that shows how much is being added during a full charge when plugged in?
Sorry, I can't remember where I seen that. It is just the number I had in my head from somewhere. It might even be for some other vehicle, but I thought I had read that about the R4P. Once battery is at 30% actual capacity (Battery gauge might indicate 0%), it will revert to HV mode and keep the remaining 30% as backup for HV.

I think getting the numbers from an actual charger use is probably the most accurate since power delivery to batteries is also not 100%, but we would be paying for power used as indicated by the charger.

dp

1 - 20 of 39 Posts