Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody exprienced the check engine light is turned on because of forgetting to tighten the gas tank cap?

A Toyota factory service manual indicates explicitly that a fautly gas tank cap and other problems will trigger MIL - Malfunction Indicator Light and set DTC - Diagnostic Trouble Code P0440.

Based on Toyota's "2 trip detection logic" for emission and 20 minute driving detection condition for this trouble code, I removed the cap, drove for 30 min, turned off the engine and drove for another 30 min. I expected to see DTC is set in the first trip and MIL is on in the second trip, but none of these happened. Environment temperature was 10-15 C.

Fuel vapor pressure within the tank is said to be about 0.5 psi in normal situation. Because this pressure is very low, many driving and environment factors may fluctuate the reading. I guess Toyota probally increases detection tolerance deliberately to avoid too many customer complaint and maintain the company's reputation.

M

·
0 Posts
Gas cap

Yes I experienced a similar problem. Actually I took off without putting it back on, and then a week later I took my Rav to the dealer to get looked at. 60$ later I realized it was just the gas cap.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts