Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wife's '06 Rav with the sagging visor truly is a pain. To go along with MacGyver's solution, a bungee attached to the driver's side hand grip and the visor where it attaches to the visor clasp is a temp fix as well. Just ensure the bungee is long enough to be snug and not stretched too tight. If stretched too tight it can release from the visor clasp and hit you! Again, this is a TEMP FIX. I am disassembling the visor to try the previous solution or will see what the cost is to replace the visor itself.

Nice write up!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Funny, my dealership tried to sell me Weathertech floor mats. They only had grey, so I turn them down. After 2 weeks my factory mats are showing lots of wear from the heel of my right shoe (I do nothing but stop and go driving everywhere I go). I think I will order a set of 4 black Weathertech floor mats, they are only $99 at my dealer.

...... and removed my weathertech driver side floor liner and stuck it in the back. They noted on the repair paper that it is a safety issue. My gas pedal has never given me any issues sticking to that liner. I put it back where it belongs of course. :lol:

·
Registered
45 Posts
The prices I've seen quoted on here seem pretty high to me (though maybe those are Canadian, not US). I just ordered a new one from a dealer online for $70 shipped ($57 plus handling/tax).

I'm going to attempt the repair listed here first, but wanted a ready backup in case I blow it.

The driver's side in my 2006 lasted until earlier this year before it broke. It had about 105k miles on it when it failed. Pass side still going strong.

Scott

·
Registered
20 Posts
Proposed fix

If I had this problem, I would install coin size magnet inside visor and on (or inside) roof cushion.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I do wish that my RAV 4 had the double visors like my tundra does...

Sent from my Evo3D using AutoGuide.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have fixed the links in this thread so the pictures should now show up properly. Enjoy!
Is it just me, or are there others that cannot see Sean20202020's visor repair pictures? Even on the link, I can see the small version of the visor pics. but not the large, individual photos when I click them (the other pictures enlarge just fine (!?).

·
Registered
332 Posts
Is it just me, or are there others that cannot see Sean20202020's visor repair pictures? Even on the link, I can see the small version of the visor pics. but not the large, individual photos when I click them (the other pictures enlarge just fine (!?).
Well I am the op. and recently I purchased new visor about $80
because my glued visor sagged again and again within some months...
Visor pole needs huge torque support that the super glue can not provide enough.

I've heard the new visor has improved part some years ago,
so I hope my new one last for the lifetime of my Rav4.

I recommend just buy new one.

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,418 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Well I am the op. and recently I purchased new visor about $80
because my glued visor sagged again and again within some months...
Visor pole needs huge torque support that the super glue can not provide enough.

I've heard the new visor has improved part some years ago,
so I hope my new one last for the lifetime of my Rav4.

I recommend just buy new one.
Sean: Great tutorial! Sometimes you just have to go a bit further... I think if you had used two part epoxy instead of super glue it would have held up. Any one else trying this, try the epoxy route and let us all know.
Luckily, I haven't had this problem myself and I hope I don't.

·
Registered
1 Posts
FIXED! Hanging visor

I guess I was lucky that my 2002 Highlander's visor made it 11 years before failing. But thanks to the wisdom of the Internet, it was an easy fix!

I followed the directions found on the TundraSolutions board (referenced earlier in this thread). Here was my exact process, and I've included a couple of photos.

The great thing about this fix vs. other methods is that you don't need to pull the bar out of the visor at all... it's just a bit of microsurgery, adding a screw where there are already pre-drilled holes. It's crazy that Toyota didn't just make them this way to begin with.

1) Remove the visor from the car: do this by using a small flathead screwdriver to pop up the mounting cover, then remove the two Phillips screws, and disconnect the electrical plug.

2) Remove the mirror (there are two more screws under the light cover that you can pop up: see photo), and carefully lift up the vinyl that was covered by the top of the mirror. Be careful not to tear the vinyl. You should already see a hole in the foam core between the channel for the mirror light wires and the mirror recess -- however it may be covered by some brown tape (mine was). Just lift up the tape and you'll see it. (see other photo)

3) Get a sharp razor / Xacto knife and clean just a little of the foam around the hole so it will accommodate a short screw (self tapping). If you look down the hole you will see sheet metal with a hole. This sheet metal strip clamps the visor pivot shaft. Make sure you use a short screw large enough to self-thread into the sheet metal hole but short enough so it will not pierce through the other side of the visor. I screwed the short screw in the hole and tightened just it enough to hold the visor more securely.

3) That's it! Just screw the mirror fixture back in, and reattach the visor in the car.

Now with the screw in place, if it loosens in the future, all you have to do is remove the mirror and lift the vinyl a little, and use a screwdriver to tighten it when needed. With everything reassembled you can’t even tell that any repairs were performed and it only cost the amount of a short screw.

Here are the photos:

They should also be accessible from:
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/members/albums/126170-rlilly/highlander-drooping-visor-fix-4578.html

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
*** I used #10 x 1/2 in. Self-tapping pan head phillips screws and they worked like a charm. Took a bit of torquing and I had to take a bit of time and effort to clear out a bunch of the foam around the existing hole to accommodate the slightly larger screw head.

Just wanted to say thanks for Sean and also to rlilly. Searched the internet on a remedy for this topic, found this post, created a member account (just to see rlilly's pictures) and had the issue fixed in about 10 minutes time total. Saved me the $700+ on a replacement that I just could not justify on a vehicle with 178,000 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Another way to fix the drooping visor

I just fixed the drooping visor for my wife's 07 rav4. She is happy with the result after 1 week of use (another way to say the fix has been validated) and I would like to share the idea to others in the forum.
Parts needed:
1 TV cable holder - referred as "the part"
1 1" self-tapping screw
1 washer

Tools needed:
1 pencil
1 screw driver

Time: 5 minutes or less

Procedure:
1) Position cable holder next to the visor in its folded position (as shown in the picture). Mark the location with the pencil.
2) Install the screw and washer to the part, noting the marked location.
3) Test the "spring action" of the cable holder with the visor to see if the tension is enough.
4) If more tension is needed, back out the screw a bit, put a piece of paper or something similar behind the cable holder then re-tighten the screw (in the picture I used a washer just to show WHERE to put a piece of paper).

Hope you will like it.
Cheers

Attachments

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,418 Posts
I just fixed the drooping visor for my wife's 07 rav4. She is happy with the result after 1 week of use (another way to say the fix has been validated) and I would like to share the idea to others in the forum.
Parts needed:
1 TV cable holder - referred as "the part"
1 1" self-tapping screw
1 washer

Tools needed:
1 pencil
1 screw driver

Time: 5 minutes or less

Procedure:
1) Position cable holder next to the visor in its folded position (as shown in the picture). Mark the location with the pencil.
2) Install the screw and washer to the part, noting the marked location.
3) Test the "spring action" of the cable holder with the visor to see if the tension is enough.
4) If more tension is needed, back out the screw a bit, put a piece of paper or something similar behind the cable holder then re-tighten the screw (in the picture I used a washer just to show WHERE to put a piece of paper).

Hope you will like it.
Cheers
That's a clever idea! I'm not sure everyone will be comfortable with screwing a cable clamp into their headliner. I know I was nervous when I cut a hole for my Homelink transmitter there. Here's hoping that little piece of plastic will hold up in the summer heat.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Having failed to in successfully repair mine and nearly passing out when quoted $130 by my local Mr Toyota I looked up the part number and found it had been updated. Searching for the replacement part# I found one online for $40 delivered.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

21 - 40 of 78 Posts
About this Discussion
77 Replies
56 Participants
CurrentRAV4 Owner
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing